North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my oppinion you get what you pay for. its a cheap gun. i owned the 710 and i thought it was the biggest piece of ****. its worth the extra little bit of money to buy a 700. the scopes they send with them are cheap too. just dont expect sniper rifle accuracy and leupold optic quality.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my 710 when i bought it the bolt wouldnt stay in, accuracy wasnt that great on it either. ive heard when guys shot it the bolt came open. when i shot it the bolt handle came up just a little ways. enough for me to take it in.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The Remington 710-770 were Remington's attempt to get a cut of the less costly market and compete with the cheaper stuff like the Savage 11-111.

I'm a guy who has had a lifelong love affair with the Reington 700, has a safe full of them, and consider it to be the best all around production rifle available. I'm embarassed for Remington for producing these cheap 710-770 junkers on the strength of the Remington 700 name/reputation...

Either save some more for a 700, Look around for a used Remington 700 ADL (can be had pretty reasonably) or if you have to have something right now/talked yourself into going cheap, get a Savage...

·
Registered
1 Posts
hogrider....i too have a 770 with aftermarket scope..the bushnell is a POS, well, it doesnt bring out the gun so to speak. I can scope to nearly 1000m. The .300wm round (boat tail) is capable of ranges approaching 1250m (marine corp standard). the 770 actually has fewer parts than the 710 AND the 700, but yes, the 770 is a reworked 710. As comparison, a police interceptor is a reworked crownvic, hopefully there is enough intellect to understand what i am trying to say. In addition, if you dont shoot (newbie) and you get a 700, doesnt mean anything...in the right hands, as long as the rifle doesnt fail....its usually the shooter that makes a gun..the gun doesnt make the shooter. My 770 is spot on (laser bore sighted the scope). And it can be dragged through brush and areas a 700, due to close tolerances and many more parts, can not or should not go. Aftermarket is no issue either, i have a full Picatinny rail w/45degree offset adapter for low light vision, as well as a 20" bipod, for the individual that mentioned the bipod. My bolt is fine, trigger pressure fine, no complaints. For the dollar you will not get a flatter flight path of a projectile with what is really overkill on the down range velocity and energy. I think beginners should go with the 770, then later can move "up" , for much more money....I paid less than $400.00 brand new for a .300wm with bipod. By the way, if that 700 ever does have a problem...its gonna hurt the wallet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree,..the gun/weapon doesn't make the shooter ..the shooter makes the gun/weapon,..but..I did just purchase 2 770's ..a 300 WM and a 30-06
the 30-06 I just fired for the first time ..the 4th round left the sling hanging off the butt sling eyelet alone ..it broke the sling eyelet out on the fore grip,..I guess I will find out how responsive Remington is with the repairs, or,.. my choice is to get a real set of swivel's for the sling and mount them on the stock ,..removing the molded sling eyelets,
I called the KY office where the 770's are manufactured they refered me to their main office for support 1-800-243-9700

the (bore sighted scope ) bushnell 3x9x40 MOA at 100 yards were .000 with elevation but 4.00 to the left ..wind at time of shots, NW 10 mph at 30 degrees N to target,..and a 40 foot drop in elevation from shooting point to point of target..(which really shouldn't matter at only 100 yards)

But .I haven't given up on the 770's potential yet,In my opinion the good points are it's a light comfortable rifle,..with button rifling,.the bad points ,for me , the stock..they should have put real swivels on it instead of molding them into the stock

doc1971 said:
hogrider....i too have a 770 with aftermarket scope..the bushnell is a POS, well, it doesnt bring out the gun so to speak. I can scope to nearly 1000m. The .300wm round (boat tail) is capable of ranges approaching 1250m (marine corp standard). the 770 actually has fewer parts than the 710 AND the 700, but yes, the 770 is a reworked 710. As comparison, a police interceptor is a reworked crownvic, hopefully there is enough intellect to understand what i am trying to say. In addition, if you dont shoot (newbie) and you get a 700, doesnt mean anything...in the right hands, as long as the rifle doesnt fail....its usually the shooter that makes a gun..the gun doesnt make the shooter. My 770 is spot on (laser bore sighted the scope). And it can be dragged through brush and areas a 700, due to close tolerances and many more parts, can not or should not go. Aftermarket is no issue either, i have a full Picatinny rail w/45degree offset adapter for low light vision, as well as a 20" bipod, for the individual that mentioned the bipod. My bolt is fine, trigger pressure fine, no complaints. For the dollar you will not get a flatter flight path of a projectile with what is really overkill on the down range velocity and energy. I think beginners should go with the 770, then later can move "up" , for much more money....I paid less than $400.00 brand new for a .300wm with bipod. By the way, if that 700 ever does have a problem...its gonna hurt the wallet.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Where can a770 go a 700 cant? Tell that to the people who use the gun for work. save the extra cash and get a 700. I would like to see you shoot 1250 meters some time with that 770 that would be cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 770 chambered in .270, i like it but one wierd problem i have with it is that every time i go to shoot its off, and i need to sight it in. its the stock bushnell scope, so maybe its that. otherwise, i have gotten very good patterns past 100 yrds. i agree, there are practically no acces. for this rifle, but i put a bipod on it. after a few uses, it broke off the front sling mount. after that i took a steel sling screw to it, and ive had no problem since. i realize that its primarily a hunting rifle, but i would like it to have a higher capacity. if anyone finds any accessories, post it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 770 is of course Remington's budget rifle. There are some things Remington did on the 770 in order to cut price but in my opinion you will still get a rifle that functions well in almost any hunting situation you will find yourself in.

Although the action differs from a 700, the barrel is well built and accurate. The stock is comfortable but not very durable.

I work on and shoot many guns every year and I don't have a problem with the 770 for the price. I would consider the Marlin and Mossberg bolt actions before purchasing a 770. They are even cheaper than a 770 with better stocks and actions. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 770 shoots just fine. I would have liked a better scope but this one is adequate. Mine is .308 and I am thinking of getting one in .30-06. Some people scoff at the 770 but that happens a lot with new rifles. For the money this one does exactly what it is supposed to do. It's not a 700 and didn't have the 700 price. But a 700 will not be any more accurate than this one. It's a good inexpensive rifle and I will probably buy another one.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
tell us how good it is still shooting after about a 1000 rounds then you might have some thing going. they are cheap and will not last the test of time

·
Registered
13 Posts
1000 rounds? I don't know anyone with a 700 that has shot 1000 rounds through it short of being competition shooters. I would dare to say that the average hunter shoots his/her rifle less than 10 times per year. One shot to insure the scope is still on and then off to the woods.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
and that is where a major problem is. wish there was a shooting test that had to be passed before the clowns that only shoot 10 times a year got to go out and shoot deer in the ***

·
Registered
13 Posts
I completely agree. I sight in dozens of rifles per year for people for deer season. Last season alone I set up three rifles that were brand new and were not shot by it's owner until a deer was in front of it. It works out good for me because I get paid to shoot a lot of different guns. Gives me a chance to see what I like or don't like. It does get a little painful when I have a few magnums in the group.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lets get somethings straight...1) yes the shooter makes the rifle,mostly 2)snipers are highly trained and shoot the same rifle over and over 3)sniper's loads are custom, not off-shelf rounds. if a sniper uses a 165gr. .300wm, he ALWAYS uses that weight and is issued by the gov. 4) on this site there may be <1% of 1% of the people here could ever qualify as sniper and thats just the shooting (MOA) at range. i hear people talkin MOA, MOA...well, MOA is not some magical initial, a MOA is approx. 1.047 inches at 100m. So, if you shoot at 500m , your MOA accuracy(spread) is 5 times your 100m spread, unless of course you correct for distance, and that is your spread. Thats why we have elevation and windage adjustments, to keep our grouping close using the MOA method. Rifles DO NOT shoot in MOAs, marksmen do. My scope, because MOA is a function of distance and arc or circumference of a circle, in other words, curvature of the earth(its round) has 14 reticles that allow me to estimate range if i know height of target...assume 2 meters for a human target. Doing a little math with my scope i can tell you range....adjust elevation or windage...one click at 100m = .25inches...so, to correct for 1MOA at 100m i need 4 clicks at that range and the MOA adjustments change as distance increases. No rifle knows what an MOA is, the shooter does. You go and spend $1000 for a good 700 series and drag it thru rain and muck with its close tolerances. It will break or need extensive cleaning. In addition, the 700s that are true sniper rifles are heavy barrels and highly modified. I bought a 770 .300 WIN MAG with my low light 14 reticle, 1000m scope...laser bored zero, bi-pod, picatinny rail, all black polymer.{ I dont know how, but if it's cheap, it's made with the heaviest cheap parts i ever felt in a rifle, almost 3 times the weight of my M4 with lights and dual magazines.} Total cost around $450. at 250yards 0.5MOA grouping, including first cold bore shot(which was out farther than the other rounds). This MOA accuracy was expected since the bullet drop of this particular Hornady round(156gr. balistic tip boat-tail) is zero at 250yards...something many of you seem to forget. BALISTICS!! All snipers live balistics especially concerning the round they shoot...temp, humidity, barometric pressure, wind drift, bullet drop, even geographical location(bullet drop varies very slightly depending where you are relative to the equator). NO ONE here seems to mention these things. At 500m 1.5MOA is acheived consistantly with my 770. I do believe the 700 is proven because of its age..been around for a while. But it's not required to shoot long range accurately. One last thing...even though i do not have a heavy/bull barrel...i can put 24 rounds through it in 30 seconds..that first 3 in mag. and single load after...so the bolt action cant be too bad. Even at this rate of fire it still kept nearly 1.5MOA grouping at 250 yards. Excellent for a light barrel. The 770 is only as good as the shooter as is any other rifle. Thank you for your attention.
Master Sgt. Purifoy
Shooter for 25 years.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.