North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I went to the general store to look for a .308. Anyway I already had my mind set on the Remington 700. The guy showed me the ADL grade and then he said I'd be better off spending a little more money and purchasing the BDL grade. I asked him the diffrences between the two I knew the BDL was more of a semi-custom grade but I wanted details. Anyway he told me that the BDL had a smoother bolt. Had something called a jeweled bolt, I dont know if the bolt metal or something is better for the jeweled bolt but it looked neat. He also said the BDL had a drop plate which I dont know what that is?

Other than that I coudnt really get anyhting else out of him except the BDL was better alround.

Does anyone here have any helpful input. I'd really appreciate it. The real thing I'm only concerned about is accuracy. If the BDL increases the accuracy of the rifle then I can reason with spending the extra $200. If not then I dont really care about the black ebony forend, or the bolt those are simple luxuries.

Well thanks for the help

Derek

·
Administrator
19,880 Posts
Stealth

As I understand it the difference in the ADL vs. the BDL is mostly cosmetic. Remember the old 788 Remington for years it was one of the most accurate out of the box rifles, and it was Remington's cheapest. There is no opening in the bottom of the ADL (no drop plate) which gives you access to the magazine. You must run your loaded ammo through the chamber to extract. I don't like that. The difference in accuracy is meaningless. Some people think the ADL is slightly more accurate, because the stock is more rigid without the opening below the action for the drop plate. I doubt it makes a noticeable difference. I have about four BDL's, not ADL. I want to be able to open the plate and drop all shells into my hand. The barrel if finished a little better in the BDL and perhaps will resist rust a little better. I'm not sure about bore finish. That is about all I can tell you. Check out the Remington web site.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Droplate and fancier checkering/wood is the only difference. I have one of each, Its basically all cosmetic.

If you don't mind using your bolt to eject shells, buy the ADL........Just as good.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Let me get this straight: The guy recommending you spend MORE money is the guy selling you the gun, making the profit on the sale. Have I got this right? :lol: Personal opinion, notwithstanding the advantages listed of the drop-plate. Unless this is an investment, get the ADL and take good care of it. It is well worth the money and should do everything you will ever want it to do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help.

Just from what I seen all the diff. just looked cosmetic like yall said. I never knew what the drop plate did.

I dont really mind ejecting the shells out with the bolt.

Now the big question, I just cant make up my mind. Synthetic stock, or wood.

The wood is pretty and very eye apealling. But is subject to weather damage from rain and even humidty.

Synthetic is weather retardent and looks neat if you like the tatical look in a hunting rifle. Other than than it is kinda ugly black, although you can paint all over them to camo them up.

Hmmmmmmm................

·
Registered
866 Posts
Oh man, that is the question, all right. Wood is sooooo pretty, but synthetic is so durable. For myself, I am getting ready to build several custom guns. One I want to make a presentation piece. The rest are shooters. By that I mean I want to be able to take them anywhere, put them through all kinds of crap, use them for walking sticks, canoe paddle, pry bar, whatever I need. The presentation piece will get a wood stock. The rest? You got it, synthetic. How do you want to treat your gun? If you aren't going to treat it any better than I plan to treat my "shooters", get synthetic. Some say the wood is more forgiving with recoil. That may not be an issue, but I thought I would mention it. So, have I answered your question? I doubt it. Just thoughts to share. Enjoy the choosing. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
IF you looked around you could find a used Bdl for the same or less than a new ADL the drop plate is nice when its bitter cold and you are trying to unload the gun in the dark, Safer too. I buy l my rifles used and have never got a bad one yet. Very few people shoot them enough to give them any appreciable amount of wear. I have Ruger model 77s and I wouldn't want to have to cycle the shells through the action every time I unload. If you look from after deer season to early summer there is always good deals on used rifles, right now is the worst time to buy and the best to sell. The money you save on used rifle can be put into a better scope, nothing is worse than a cheap scope.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just looked around on the net and they dont even offer the BDL in the .308 Win neither do they offer that caliber with the Wood stocked ADL.

The ADL Synthetic seems most popular and they offer it in .308. Also it is about $80 less than the Wood ADL, so ADL Syntehic here we come

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How is the recoil on a .308. The bigges rifle I've shot was a SKS 7.62x39 and 20 ga. was biggest scatter gun.

How'd you compare the recoil to these catridges. Thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts
I haven't shot the SKS, but my guess is it will be a little stouter, but in the excitement of hunting you won't notice it. The gun may make it more comfortable, but a semi-auto in general tends to soften it some, usually. I'm sure if you load your own with maximum pressures with 220 gr bullets, you're gonna feel it. But that's not the usual load for a 308 for hunting purposes. You'll feel a 150 or 165 gr load, but it shouldn't be uncomfortable. At the range, you will notice a big difference in felt recoil if you wear your ear muffs. If it sounds loud, it will feel like a harder kick, at least it has in my experience. With a quality rifle like that Rem 700 (especially as opposed to my Ishapore) it will feel better as well.

Summary: Expect a little more than the 20 ga, but not uncomfortable.
:sniper:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, I have a .308 casing and I didnt think it would kick to much. That is one of the reasons I picked the .308.

1)It is the standard sniper round for U.S. military, so I'd like to get familar with it
2)Recoil is not hard
3)As long as you place your shots correctly it will work on most all big game animals.

Craig Boddington's(Craig Boddington is a great outdoor writer, I really idlize his words and take them to heart, I just think he had great experince) dad used his old .308 from everything to pronghorns to moose! So you know what they say shot placement is everything. And with the light recoil you don't flinch and when you don't flinch you place your shot in the right spot! It all works out

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Recoil is pretty stout in a light gun if you get to 180 grain bulets which is what I use in mine I have a Ruger ultra light in 308 and it kicks hard with bigger bullets but I usually only have to shoot it once at deer.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Bobm, do you think he needs 180 gr bullets for deer? I only load 150 gr bullets. I plan on using Nosler partitions. My range is not great and I don't think these swamp deer are going to be very big, although the doe I got last year was respectable. The recoil would be a little lighter with 150 gr bullets.

·
Administrator
19,880 Posts
Sdeprie

I agree with you on the 150 gr bullet for deer. I shoot a 165 grain in my 308, but it is a heavy barrel, and I shoot Sierra Gameking. That is what my rifle likes so that is what I shoot. When you shoot premium bullets like the Nosler Partition the performance of these bullets lets you shoot lighter bullets. Here is my line of thinking. These bullets all mushroom to approximately the same diameter. Assuming that is true and they all penetrate the deer completely then the bullet with the highest velocity as it passes through the deer will do the most tissue damage. Hydrostatic shock is what causes tissue damage beyond the physical presence of the bullet. A friend of mine had surgery for a torn rotator cuff about ten years ago. He shoots a light (6.5 lb) 300 Win Mag. He loaded I think it was 110 gr X bullets. I watched through a spotting scope as the bullet struck a nice 4X4 buck. Upon impact the chest area visibly expanded and the buck ran 20 yards before dropping.

·
Registered
866 Posts
110 gr bullets in a 30 caliber. that's an interesting concept. With the chest cavity expanding, I'm kind of surprised it ran that far, but you never know how tough they can be.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
150 grain is more than enough. My first year deer hunting I used a 22-250 and that is still the best buck I have shot........and the luckiest aim!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Be careful. Some people are liable to tell you "the truth, no matter how much it hurts." I do have some 130 gr loads for my 308, but I am not convinced the bullet construction is adequate so I will reserve them for varmints, targets, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
I have a 257 roberts and a lifetime supply of federal premium factory bullets with nosler partitions, they go right thru deer with little expansion. It kills them but no blood trail whatsoever and I wouldn't recomend them. I think they would be great for a tougher bodied animal like an elk. I have much better success with soft bullets on whitetails. Remington Corelock work much better in that gun. I shoot federal 180 soft point in the 308 and get real good results. No cripples in 34 years with that load over 50-60 kills maybe more I don't really know for sure. Most shot taken within 100 yards.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.