North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Where do you get tickets i would love to go to that magical place called Parrish Island. Is there some kind of yellow brick road or some thing?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Haters it is called typo's we all have made them. You bloody know what he is talking about.

Chuck Norris starts everyday with a protein shake made from Carnation Instant Breakfast, one dozen eggs, pure Colombian cocaine, and rattlesnake venom. He injects it directly into his neck with a syringe.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
People, what, are you bloody Welsh, all the sudden? :wink: You know full well this guy is a wannna be. Typo, my big, white a$$! Very few that I know can hit a head shot with open sights at 500. Even fewer can do it consistantly with a 5.56. You know full well that the military wouldn't pass up a shooter like that.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Lol I am not welsh. Just been dealing with a person from New Zeeland. I have heard of Paris Island being called parish island so maybe he was just using that. Same way the east coasters would call us west coast marines "Hollywood Marines". When I did Recruit Training I missed maxing the range by 6 points. Always clear front sight post. If you look through your sights you will shoot circles on the paper = minus 6 points. I missed company high by 2 points. Yes two points more in the rapids I would have been company high shooter. I talked to that Marine later in our time in and neither he nor I were asked to try out for being a Sniper. We both had shot very nice groups at 500. The indoc classes they have are always full. They do not drop so many because it is fun, it is because they only need a few actual shooters per class. It is true that many are actually preforming the duties of a 8541 with only being a good shot or passing a shortened few day course put on by a company looking to fill a spot or two. In that case from what I was told they look for people they think can do the job not just some jack *** who can shoot. I would be the jackass who can shoot. Granted I was also not in the infantry.

When we were in Snap-in week the coach told stories of recruits and Marines actually hitting the spotters and in some cases actually hitting the spindle. Now keep in mind they were trying to keep everyone motivated and pushing for top accuracy. Lets face it most M-16A2 rifles are not tack drivers. Now some with certain ammo will shoot so well I would not hesitate to take that rack grade rifle and standard M-855 ball and shoot service rifle (SR) comp with it. Now at the 500 mark It was easy to consistently to hit your own spotter when the wind was low. Some days the wind was low and shooting was good. I saw a few spindles shot in recruit training. When I got out and was shooting SR it was a few years before I saw a spindle shot. Most of the time I have seen it since I was out was at the 200yd mark.

More than likely this person was not drilling it in the head but he might have been. These targets are pretty generous on size. I remember thinking these targets are like a big fat bastard. Even the head was a little bigger than a person who was wearing a helmet. It was almost like they had special easy targets for us I was thinking. When I got to the actual Marine Corps the targets where the same easy targets. Who were we training to shoot I was thinking. Even with arms down It was like that targets were still wearing a winter coat.

xneano he just might be unstable he must have been able to get that jar on his head. It just sucks when it is on there is all this fog and the sound of heavy breathing.

In a tagteam match, Chuck Norris was teamed with Hulk Hogan against King Kong Bundy and Andre The Giant. He pinned all 3 at the same time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did mean parris island typing on an iPad can be a pain. I agreed with people on the size of the targets being basically an out line of Chris Farley. The wind wasn't bad the week we spent on the range in boot not anything like shooting on Pendleton. The shots are easier than you think when your in the prone with that damn prarade sling around you arm like a vise the rifle is VERG stable. I too wasn't infantry I was a comm marine with no desire to be a sniper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As always with forums, So many experts that so arrogantly answered with no relevance to the question. Forums would be great if the people wouldn't ruin it.
Spend an hour in any of them and you would be hard pressed dispute my argument that all of America had ADD:)
My God. what does a .338, ex military shooting a different round from a different gun, a M-16A2, an M-855, a yellow brick road, Parrish Island, a sniper or any of these resonces have anything to do with the question?
Such arrogant egos.

rookiedogger
My experience with this gun, my model 700, 30-06 of 3 decades is that it is more in the round you are trying to shot at a given distance then anything else.
A 180 grain is really nice for up to a 100 yards. I have not used the 180 in a couple of decades I gave up on it for the more preferred 168 round.
My last kill was a exploded heart shot at 175 yards, with a 168 grain. Standing, completely stock 700, a basic Bushnell 9x scope no Lite trigger No heavy range time, No nothing.
200 yards and father the 168 round starts to be the better and more actuate round with a higher velocity and closer grouping.
For 200 and 300 yards the 168 and 165 has more killing power and a closer group then the 180. still a nice tight pattern.
Past 200 yards bullet drop becomes a factor, So the heavier the round, is less preferred.
400 yards and father the 155 grain will once again tighten up the group and have more velocity and a lot less bullet drop then the 180 common round. I ran a box through at I believe it was 400 yards, it was a really winding day and all I was able to do was keep it on paper. Although at times I was in the black on some shots I felt good about.
So with the wind who really knows.
This should be about all you need for deer hunting. If your looking to shoot father you will need to look into finding some top end ammo or learning to load your own as I understand it.
But anyway you cut it, this gun very tight at any given distance with the right round. 180 for up to 100 yards. 168 or 165 for up to 300 yards.
Past that I do not have much experience. But the ballistics show this cartage has the killing power to reach 500 yards.
oh and I really didn't like the 220 round. it wasn't tight has way to much bullet drop and keeps ya to limited.
So whatever you choose, you will need to get to the range and sight in and find out for yourself, which is half the fun.|
I was gonna do a lot of things with this gun, a better scope, get a lighter trigger, even looked at a bi pod.
But anyway I am confident in mine with how it is set up for up to 300 yards. Even though this cartridge was designed with shots of 1,000 yards

·
Registered
2 Posts
That being said from a one of the many ADD guy's that can make a statement like this?

KurtR said:
I know guys who have shot to 1800 yards with the 06. So does that mean that is the max range? If you are that good with open sights i would stick with them
LOL yeah yeah we all know a guy, that must have been some good bar stool bs.
is there a point in your post other then the obvious mental decease?
What were they shooting at a mountain? At 1800 yards the iron site would hide a tank.
but you couldn't really answer that could you.
Nor can you contribute, cause you really don't own a 700 -06.
But why would you let that stop you?
Why cause you know a guy. lol

OMG I just seen that you have made 955 of these type of posts!
Foolishness just never stops giving and giving and giving..

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Blacklisterd said:
That being said from a one of the many ADD guy's that can make a statement like this?

KurtR said:
I know guys who have shot to 1800 yards with the 06. So does that mean that is the max range? If you are that good with open sights i would stick with them
LOL yeah yeah we all know a guy, that must have been some good bar stool bs.
is there a point in your post other then the obvious mental decease?
What were they shooting at a mountain? At 1800 yards the iron site would hide a tank.
but you couldn't really answer that could you.
Nor can you contribute, cause you really don't own a 700 -06.
But why would you let that stop you?
Why cause you know a guy. lol

OMG I just seen that you have made 955 of these type of posts!
Foolishness just never stops giving and giving and giving..
Well i see comprehension is not a strong suit. The iron sites would refer to how he was proficient to shooting with them not shooting the 06 to 1800 yards. Your ideals of why to shoot lighter and heavier bullets are quite amusing. Just a 700 .308 but have shot a few 06 just a couple times. So do tell the 208 amax is only good for 100 yds since it is over 180 grns. At what range the 168 start tumbling and how hard does the 155(which bullet) need to be pushed to see the benefits of shooting light and fast? The day i shoot paterns with my rifle i think i will hang it up. You have said a bunch of crap that is so far from being ballistically correct it hard to even find a place to start.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Hey, troll, I mean blacklisterd, no I mean troll, why don't you take your 400yd shooting Rem 700 and go play in the preschool section.

Kurt wasn't talking about shooting at 1800yds with iron sights, sorry you have to have that explained to you. He was commenting on the guy who was making "head shots" at 500yds with a .223. Pay attention and you won't need to make an a$$ of yourself when you try to put others down.

If you think your 700 will shoot the same as the next guy's, you are sorely mistaken. The 180s I have used have taken deer easily past 300yds, and I have shot target with them at 400yds. But you seem to fancy yourself the "expert" and the rest of us just have disorders. I suppose the guys that compete at 1000yds with their 30-06s are suffering from DT's or maybe they are just crazy?

Pretty sure none of us are stupid enough to believe a guy with "3 decades" of experience with a 30-06 is going to type OMG on any post. Did you take your hunter's safety test last year, or the year before?

Most of us have pretty good info to share, while still calling BS when we see it. Nothing wrong with that. You only have 2 posts, and both are BS, so you might want to find youself a new site to post unless you can find some thing worth while to share.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
What is it about this thread?! Man, they just keep coming out of the woodwork.

Kurt, between here and *****inbuddy, you're on a roll today. Thanks for helping my Friday afternoon go by a little faster. :lol:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
it has been a long boring day of work. this snow put a kink in geting stuff done for a little while

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
OMG! Does this mean I'm going to have to quit shooting my 175 VLD's past 100 yards? And I just loaded a couple hundred of the dang things. :x

Maybe I should get some of them 155"s so I can shoot all the way out to 400 yards. :roll:

huntin1

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Savage260 said:
Pretty sure none of us are stupid enough to believe a guy with "3 decades" of experience with a 30-06 is going to type OMG on any post. Did you take your hunter's safety test last year, or the year before?
huntin1 said:
OMG! Does this mean I'm going to have to quit shooting my 175 VLD's past 100 yards? And I just loaded a couple hundred of the dang things. :x

Maybe I should get some of them 155"s so I can shoot all the way out to 400 yards. :roll:
:D

Huntin1 must be trying to act young again..... :poke: :wink:

21 - 40 of 63 Posts