North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The shooter will truly be the limiting factor. If you do not practice long range shots then please do not take them. With that said with the proper bullets and a very good load 1,000yd should be in the picture. If you are talking Deer hunting then 300 to 400 yds. Please practice at those distances before takeing the shot.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Depends on your dad's skill level, if the rifle is stock out of the box or has been accurized (bedded, floated, and has had the trigger lightened), scope & scope quality, finding ammo the rifle likes, and if a solid rest is available.

Also field conditions have to be taken into consideration at the time of the shot (weather, wind, rest, intervening cover). Of these, wind is by far the most crucial variable.

I have a number of Remington 700's ranging from 22-250 up to 338 Magnum. All have been bedded & floated/ use synthetic stock with bedding block, have had triggers adjusted to 2.5-3.5 lbs, have high quality optics in accordance with the rifle's intended uses, and have had handloads worked up for them. The only exception is my 700 sniper rifle in 308, which is sighted in with factory Black Hills 168 grain Match ammo, but this is my work rifle, not a hunting rifle. All print MOA (1") or better off the bench.

Under field conditions with a solid rest, with the big game calibers I consider my max ranges to be 270: 450, 7MM Mag 500, 338 Mag, 350. I'm a Sniper School graduate and every variable has to be in my favor before I'll take a shot at a live game animal at these max ranges, though.

As for the longest field shots I have made with these rifles, I have taken deer with the 270 at 420 yards, deer with the 7MM at 320 yards, and a big bull elk with the 338 at 240 yards...

Based on my experience, all else being equal I would hold field shots with a sporter 30-06 to 300-350 yards max. I have hunted with the 06', and found it's trajectory with 165-180 grain bullets to be very similar to that of
my 338 Mag with 225 grain bullets.

BTW, with all due respect to others, truly long range shooting (500-1,000 yards) requires specialized & quite costly rifle/scope/ammo combinations, thousands of rounds to develop the skill to make the shot and most importantly, to dope the wind, and thousands more to continually keep those skills sharp...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what kind of distance can i take deer with it, the gun is just out of the box, and will be sporting a bushnell elite 3200 or something of the same quality, any recommendations on scopes btw? and it will be practiced extensively before used

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I hate to say your max range as it can very so much rifle to rifle and shooter to shooter. Only your practice will tell you how far you can shoot and know you will kill the deer and not just wound it.

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
rookiedogger, I would say your getting good information. The only thing I would disagree with is expensive equipment. I was lucky enough to get a stock Remington 700 that shoots good. I have only lapped the locking lugs, and added a Timney trigger and it shoots under .3 inches with my handloads. It went from a $1000 Leupold Mark VI to a $300 Sightron, and now has a $450 Nikon Monarch with mil dot reticle. The current Nikon is better than the Leupold I had on it.
I shoot long range, and I agree that wind is the most unpredictable variable you will encounter. Once you have the range down it's no problem. Windage however will kill you.
I shoot to 1000 yards with a 300 Winchester magnum that pushes 165 gr bullets from 3350 fps to 3425 fps depending on the bullet I use. If the wind is steady it isn't as big of a problem as variable wind. I find that most of my 1000 yard shots are early morning, or late afternoon when the wind drops at sunrise and sunset.
I will drop my yardage to as low as 300 yards in a wind varying from 10 to 20 mph. I use a digital anemometer and do not guess at wind speed. Also, when you shoot to 1000 yards your bullet may cross a valley where wind speed increases by up to 100% and a couple of hundred yards past it may go behind a hill where wind speed is nearly zero. Don't shoot long range on windy days until you have put 1000's of rounds downrange.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
rookiedogger said:
what kind of distance can i take deer with it, the gun is just out of the box, and will be sporting a bushnell elite 3200 or something of the same quality, any recommendations on scopes btw? and it will be practiced extensively before used
No one here can answer how far YOU can take deer with this rifle. If you can shoot 2" groups off the bench at 100 yards, adding a fudge factor, say maybe 200 yards under field conditions. The rifle is capable of accuracy at much longer range, but you may not be.

First off, if it's brand new you will need to properly break the barrel in for max accuracy during the life of the rifle. This is a process of shooting your rifle a few rounds, cleaning, then repeating the process. Rather than waste a ton of bandwidth explaining, just google search the subject and you will find tons of info. Don't skip this important step.

An out of the box 700 has great accuracy potential. If you aren't going to do anything with it, your greatest limiting factor with be the 7-8 lbs trigger pull that they come with. It's simply not possible to to achieve really good accuracy fighting a heavy trigger pull.

Case in point, yesterday I was helping/spotted for a young guy who was sighting in a stock Model 70 30-06 with a nice McMillian Stock and a horrid stock trigger of around 8lbs with a ton of creep. Despite my suggesting numerous times over the last year to get the trigger done by the local gunsmith, he just didn't get around to it. Now it's two weeks before deer season and he wants help.

Long story short, he was fighting that trigger so bad that he was lucky to hold his shots in a 6" circle at 100 yards off the bench. I doubt I could have held them within 3" with that trigger!

I let him try the crisp 3lbs trigger on the Tikka 243 I carry in the truck for coyotes, and his face just lit up. Hopefully he'll get his rifle out to Randy today and get that triger squared away before the season. It could be the difference between a clean kill and a wounded/lost deer.

BTW, the Remington 700 trigger is very easy to adjust. Google "Remington Crisp" for clear & detailed instructions on how to do it.
I've done all my own 700 triggers for many years. I prefer 2-2.5 lbs on my varmint/tactical rifles and 3-3.5 lbs on my hunting rifles...

·
Registered
70 Posts
These guys give really good advice. The only thing I can really say I have a rifle that I can shoot5 shotgroups @ .5 or .6 at 100 yds with handloads( Norma case,Federal Match Primers & Sierra SBT GK ) but I have seen the same rifle @ 200 meters shoot similar groups with another shooter.

After market triggers are great and I believe they are safer at light pulls, my favorite is The Jewell.

·
Registered
87 Posts
how far can your dad stand from a target and lean the gun against a tree for a rest, and put an entire mag into a paper plate..... regardless of weather, wind, temperature, or elevation changes....

these are questions that can only be answered after the first case of ammo....

in my opinion, if you want an off the cuff, unofficial answer.... sight it in dead on at 100 yds and dont take any shots past 200 untill you have learned how to shoot at those distances.....

the world is a different place beyond 300....
****, ive seen humidity change my zero at the 1k mark,

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is all very true. What I would like to know is what is the maximum effective range of the model 700 Remington 30-06 minus the human factor. For example the M16 A4 service rifle has a maxumum effective range of 550 yards on anoint target and 800 yards on a area target. I can continually put 5.56 round in a silhouette's head at 500 yard with open sights I know because I got in trouble for on the range in Marine Corps boot can. This said I believe that my range on my 30-06 should be equal or really greater than that when the scope is added. So if anyone actually knows the rifles range please help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
SgtCountry, there are still too many variables to give a definitive answer to this question. First is the bullet, what weight, type, BC, etc, and what is the velocity it is being pushed to. Then things like altitude above sea level, temp. and barometric pressure would need to be considered.

It is generally accepted that 1000 ft pounds of energy at target is what is required for deer sized game. Considering this amount of energy, and using the following parameters: 175 grain Berger VLD at 2900 fps at muzzle, temp of 65 degrees, barometric pressure of 29.92 at 1500 feet above sea level. Ballistic program shows that this bullet will have 1010 ft. pounds of energy remaining at 850 yards. So removing the human factor, if your 30-06 is shooting this bullet combination it would have a maximum effective range of 850 yards on deer sized game.

Changing any of the parameters will change the max effective range.

Now am I saying that anyone with a 30-06 shooting a 175 Berger VLD at 2900 fps can kill deer at 850 yards? Absolutely not! We still need to consider things like wind, shooter skill level, what the game is doing, etc.

In a real world hunting situation, I would put the range from 300 to 500 yards depending on the wind and various human factors.

Note: I used an online ballistics program called JBM to get these figures. It is available here: http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics ... tors.shtml

huntin1

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
barrel break in is a myth so just shoot the damn thing. And unless you want to take the chance of hurting your self or some one else till you get a little more experience with said weapon i would not worry about adjusting triggers and what not. This is just a loaded a question that has no defined answer to what you need. Cartridge range and the range of a guy who shoots a few hundred rounds in a whole year are to differnet things.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
SgtCountry said:
I can continually put 5.56 round in a silhouette's head at 500 yard with open sights
Not sure how I missed this sentence. I'm throwing the BS flag. I know a few guys that can consistently make head shots on a silhouette at 500 yards. But, not with open sights. Unless of course you happen to be using a silhouette that is three or four times the size of a standard B-27.

huntin1

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I know guys who have shot to 1800 yards with the 06. So does that mean that is the max range? If you are that good with open sights i would stick with them

·
Registered
6 Posts
NDTerminator said:
Depends on your dad's skill level, if the rifle is stock out of the box or has been accurized (bedded, floated, and has had the trigger lightened), scope & scope quality, finding ammo the rifle likes, and if a solid rest is available.

Also field conditions have to be taken into consideration at the time of the shot (weather, wind, rest, intervening cover). Of these, wind is by far the most crucial variable.

I have a number of Remington 700's ranging from 22-250 up to 338 Magnum. All have been bedded & floated/ use synthetic stock with bedding block, have had triggers adjusted to 2.5-3.5 lbs, have high quality optics in accordance with the rifle's intended uses, and have had handloads worked up for them. The only exception is my 700 sniper rifle in 308, which is sighted in with factory Black Hills 168 grain Match ammo, but this is my work rifle, not a hunting rifle. All print MOA (1") or better off the bench.

Under field conditions with a solid rest, with the big game calibers I consider my max ranges to be 270: 450, 7MM Mag 500, 338 Mag, 350. I'm a Sniper School graduate and every variable has to be in my favor before I'll take a shot at a live game animal at these max ranges, though.

As for the longest field shots I have made with these rifles, I have taken deer with the 270 at 420 yards, deer with the 7MM at 320 yards, and a big bull elk with the 338 at 240 yards...

Based on my experience, all else being equal I would hold field shots with a sporter 30-06 to 300-350 yards max. I have hunted with the 06', and found it's trajectory with 165-180 grain bullets to be very similar to that of
my 338 Mag with 225 grain bullets.

BTW, with all due respect to others, truly long range shooting (500-1,000 yards) requires specialized & quite costly rifle/scope/ammo combinations, thousands of rounds to develop the skill to make the shot and most importantly, to dope the wind, and thousands more to continually keep those skills sharp...
Gosh, I was really wanting to hear his accurate range with 22-250, my favorite coyote caliber.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Savage260 said:
I would think that a guy that can make continuous "head shots" at 500yds with open sights would be an sniper by now, and would know not to ask the question in that way.
The only MOS's open to being a sniper and the infantry and MP ones. That was when I was just getting out they opened it to MP's. The Echo target is very generous. Same with the head. I had some M-16's that shoot some M-855 so well it was scary. Other M-855 it would barely old a Echo target. Most M-855 I shot would hold the circle on the Echo target. Circle or head they are almost the same.

There's an order to the universe: space, time, Chuck Norris.... Just kidding, Chuck Norris is first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I never wanted to be a sniper which is why I'm not one I enjoyed my mos and in boot camp we didn't have the ACOGs that are issued now. I have thought about putting open sights on my rifle but it was a gift from my dad so I'm gonna leave it the way that is was when he gave it to me. Granted I haven't done alot of shooting with a rifle that will hit a target at 500 yards in a while (rounds aren't cheap) I was .5 inches from putting 10 rounds in the standard Marine Corps full body target head that is about the size of mans head at Parrish Island and got yelled at for it. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.