North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've got an old Coast to Coast 12 gauge that really needs to be refinished. I just can't decide whether I should re-blue it or paint it flat black. I've already stripped the old blue off, complete accident, but since it did come off I have to redo it now. I was just trying to get some of the surface rust spots off and it all came off like it was nothing more than dust collecting on the barrel.

What do you think: Paint or blue? Why? Any specific paint or blue you'd suggest?

Thanks!
Alex

·
Registered
637 Posts
Duracoat, man! I've always been looking for an excuse to Duracoat one of my guns. I guess it's easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I was thinking about this all day today and decided I was going to blue it. Then I got to Wally World and they didn't have any so I just painted it instead and I'm sooo happy I did. I sanded the old finish mostly off of the stock and re-stained it with that one step poly/stain mix stuff and left it dark around the ends and completely bare wood in the center of the stock and forearm. I used high-temp grill paint for the barrel and magazine. It's outside drying right now, but I got it mostly put back together; meaning I've got the magazine screwed back on and the forearm on it. The barrel needed extra coats so in about an hour I'll re-assemble the whole thing. I'm thus far very pleased with it. I have to put one more coat of finish on the stock and forearm tomorrow, but other than that it's done and looks amazing. It's an old gun that looks like a new gun that was meant to look "old." I love it! I'll get pics up when the barrel has cured and it's all re-assembled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts