North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of my hunting buddies actually had a NR pull a duck boat out to a slough that was a couple hundred yards or so away from their spread in they same field they were set up in at daybreak. They drove right by my buddies in the field and waved. How much worse is this going to get? A little common sense would go a long way in NR and resident relations. :-?

For us on the other hand, we ended up with a decent shoot for the weekend. Lots of pressure, but we seemed to be in a pretty good spot as far as keeping your space and not gettin muzzle blasted by the group set up in the same field as you. Plus nobody jumped the roost thankfully, maybe people are starting to learn a little bit. :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Luckily Drixmein, not all NR's are that way. And for me, I am always learning. Just like anyone else visiting a different state... or hunting my own state for that matter... there's always somthing new to pick up on, which makes the experience that much better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fully agree with you. I have hunted with NR's that are great hunters, and some of my friends are from Minnesota are great hunters, and I have hunted with resident hunters that are idiots. But it seems to me that anyone with any hunting knowledge at all would know better than to drive into a field someone is set up in and hunt a stone's throw from someone's set up. I have seen some pretty obsurd things in my day out hunting, and it seems to be getting worse every year with the more abundance of NR's. I just don't feel like its a coincidence.

I hunt Montana sometimes for a variety of game, and I take it upon myself to learn the style of hunting before I go out there. People from different places hunt differently, and I know that. I have zero problem with NR's coming here to hunt. There is just a few inherent things that they typically do that make residents mad.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am from Minnesota, and have never heard of shooting the roost until I saw it in this forum. We hunt differently here. You don't know what crowded is until you hear the sound of a boat motor stopping near your small decoy spread in an opening in the reeds on the lake. Then hearing them tossing decoys out. When we called out to them to alert them we were there they ignored us. We watched them shoot at birds over 100 yards out and start the motor and chase them as they landed in the middle of the lake. It seemed that they were trying to get their cripples!
They did shoot into our decoys while retrieving one of their cripples that came into our small spread. They even shot at the cripple when it was right in front of us! Our State Employees were on strike that fall, so nobody responded, as there was no injuries, I guess? They didn't even say sorry, but said that they were retrieving a cripple and took off. I wish that I could have walked on water that morning! These guys were not going to learn from us.
Thankfully, this episode is not a good representation of all Minnesota hunting and hunters! I could see us hunting the roost last year, (Out of ignorance), but hopefully not this year because of the posts in your forums. We will be scouting and using PLOTS guide maps to help get the lay of the land, but could do it by accident because we are not familiar with the area as a whole, I guess. I wish that some of hte guys in this forum would feel free to stop by and let NR's and us know if we are doing something wrong. I know that our small group would welcome any chance to learn something new and important from you guys about the way you hunt waterfowl in North Dakota. We will be in zone 1 starting the 11th.
Thanks to all,
Pato :-?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Pato said:
I wish that some of hte guys in this forum would feel free to stop by and let NR's and us know if we are doing something wrong.
Well, I've tried to do this many times. Such an incidence occured this past weekend when a couple buddies spent the better part of a night in an unposted field. When not one, but TWO seperate groups of Minnesotans pulled up past us and we informed them that in ND we typically don't IMPOSE on other groups who are already in a field these guys didn't care, and proceeded to set up within a few hundred yards of us and take high shots all day. We typically try to get the birds within shooting range and not take 60 yd high shots all day and basically **** everything up for the guys who actually put in the time to try to get a good hunt. Believe me, this is not the first time this has happened...it's just that it seems to be happening A LOT more frequently.

Growing up hunting mostly public land in MN I can say that what I saw this weekend was pretty damn close to the BS that happens there. Trust me I know firsthand how much it sucks to hunt public land in 'Sota...and frankly I'm sick of people throwing that out there as an excuse.

And before anyone jumps on me for saying MN hunters are dip****s and have absolutely NO CLUE what they're doing, let me state for the record...not ALL Minnesotans are dumbasses...just most of 'em.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Maybe the legislature and/or the Game & Fish Department should look at banning duckboats in ND. At least on the smaller waters. That might help keep the birds on the water longer and eliminate some of the pressure.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
SiouxperDave25 said:
Maybe the legislature and/or the Game & Fish Department should look at banning duckboats in ND. At least on the smaller waters. That might help keep the birds on the water longer and eliminate some of the pressure.
Well, that might help people not shooting the roost...but in my case the other guys were field hunting.

No matter how many laws you pass, or regulations you impose...you can't put COMMON SENSE into people that don't have any. We don't need any more regs, we just need people to use their heads along with some common courtesy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I appreciate your candidness. I cant argue with you that there are plenty of dumbasses in MN, and that was certainly a dumbass move on their part by moving in to your area... but they exist everywhere. If it is your contention that most of us from MN are dumbasses, then so be it. I for one like to believe I have a good head on my shoulders and hunt wisely in most or all given situations. And I know quite a few like me. I agree completely with your last statement though MJ... people just need to use their heads, and exercise some courtesy and common sense.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It really seems like things are starting to come to a head and I think you are right Dan when you say things will be getting interesting in a couple of weeks. If the the weather stays fairly warm and birds don't come down there are going to be a lot of long faces from both residents and non. I can honestly say I stayed home last weekend and it really didn't bother me because I knew there would be a lot of people out. I think a lot us are feeling the squeeze and getting frustrated especially when the water is down.

·
Registered
426 Posts
...not ALL Minnesotans are dumbasses...just most of 'em.
Matt, I must agree with you on that! Last year when I was hunting ducks in AZ with my brother we were set up in a resevor on thanksgiving day when another group of hunters went about 100 yds away from us before sunrise and when shooting time came we had about forty nice widgeons working our spread when BANG, BANG, BANG they shot towards our spread not even coming close to hitting anything! Then shortly after that we heard another barrage of gunfire break out and saw that they were shooting at a cormorant! We left and believe it or not they were from you guessed it Minnesota!!!!! We called our Game and Fish Officer friend and reported them but can't tell you what happened after that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm sure the water, or rather the lack thereof, has changed the hunting dynamics quite a bit out there this year for both the res and NR alike. I've hunted in the vicinity of zone 1 the last few years, and very rarely, if at all have I ever seen another hunter out in the field. Thats no lie. Maybe just lucky, I dont know. But yeah, take away some of mother natures resources, and dont restrict the number of hunters... and you could have some issues. I will remain optimistic and hope for the best, and will use common sense. I know I hate it when people do it to me around here, setting up a stones throw away and shooting my swing... I dont plan to be that guy.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
JOnser, Jonser, JOnser!!

Wait till late season player, When were tipping them back at some outback bar, I'm gonna get you tore up from the floor up! and were gonna have a long talk........

Keep in reeel in Jonsers home town

Madison

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Maddy,

Like I said, not ALL OF THEM are, just most of 'em. The guys who aren't know that they aren't and most likely know what I'm talking about...and for the guys who are, well they're probably sitting at their computers fuming at what I said. You know I have no problem with guys like yourself, MNhunter, and all the other guys who know what they're doing (or with anyone who knows what they're doing for that matter). I'm just really sick and tired of the crap that went down this past weekend..I thought I left it all behind when I left 'Sota but alas, it's spread westward like cancer. Maybe I'll I should try to get out and hunt North Lake (AKA the most heavily hunted lake in the world :roll: ) when I'm home for Thanksgiving to remind me of how good things still are here...but no matter how you slice it, the hunting up here is getting pretty close to the joke of what hunting is like on public land in MN. And to me that is a very sad thing to see.

Oh well, maybe your right and I should just lighten up and not let this crap bother me but it's easier said than done. :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I sure would like to know where all the over crowding is in North Dakota duck hunting cause we saw 6 groups of hunters this past weekend and they were all from out of state. I grew up in ND and was forced to move to find a job somewhere since I can't handle the $5.35 an hour wages in ND (even with a college degree) and moved to Minnesota to find a job with decent wages, so I am now one of those "BAD NON-RESIDENTS". Well where are all these poor ND hunters who have it so bad with the over crowding?????? They sure as hell aren't in the Wishek, Gackle, Fredonia, Lehr, or Kulm area. We have hunted that area for the past 10 years and have yet to see another group of hunters within 2 miles from us.
I talked to some people who hunt up in the Kenmare, Bowbells, Mohall area and they haven't seen but a handful of out of staters up there.
Overcrowding my ***!! It all started from Hoeven sticking his thumb up his *** on the pheasant controversy and it carried over to the duck hunters. Its all the damn whiners from Jamestown & Fargo that created this whole mess. :puke:
The people who live in the small towns aren't the ones whining because they'll be glad to take your $20 for a meal. I mean where else can you go and buy a round of beers for under $10. :beer:
If its crowded then find a new place to hunt, because the opportunities are out there. If you think you have it so bad come to MN on duck opener and see how damn crowded it is.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
You see, "been there".....That is what we are trying to prevent, the way it is in MN....which is why you come here!!! :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts