North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are they worth buying for the house? I heard they can save alot of fuel through the winter and they say they can heat 1000 sq ft. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
YES!!!!

Making a real long story short, I did the math for the ones I bought. I got the KWH useage for the heater which is about the same as a MODERN coffee pot for hourly useage and then I called Cass County Electric here in N.D. and then I did the math. It came out to .08$ an hour to run the 1500 I think it is. The ones that I got had a 500, 1000, and a 1500 and they had a promotion where if you got the 1500 you got the 500 for 'free'.

I finished my basement last year and it is about 1400sf. There is a gym, family room, full bath room, and a bedroom. The only room that had heat running to it was the bed room. There are NO heater vents anywhere else at all in the basement of my two story home. We put the big heater down there and set it at medium....it stays 66 down there with that heater alone!

My father-in-law came in January with my brother-in-law from Virginia here for my wife's Grandma's funeral. Anyways, the in-laws have thin blood and were "freezing" down there so the wife turned it on high. A week after they left, the main floor of our home was 74 and we couldn't figure out why as the thermostat was at 68. We finaly remembered that she turned the heater up! The heat coming up was making the main floor warmer too.

Also, my wife has a business out of the home so we have to add up our total expenses for the house so the accountant can do his stuff with them..anyways, our heating bill was 250.00 LOWER then the year before! No Shiat!

We are actually buying another set for this year too as we are going to put the big one on the main floor and the little one up stairs as we have 3 bedrooms and two full baths upstairs. My wife put the little one from before in her office (Licensed Massage Therapist so her massage room has to be warm/hot).

I can not sing the praises enough for these things. Tonight I will get the companies name and contact for you and you can do the KWH/cost math yourself! I was going to do this anyways as I am going to get the same ones I have.

Peak KWH is @ .075000
Off-Peak KWH is @ .06000

Be careful as there are many different companies selling these and I have heard that some of them are not that hot. (Sorry had to use that pun.) I am only talking about the ones that I bought.

When I bought mine it was like 500.00 for the two or something like that.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya get me the name. i would like to know

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
The heater was tested by an independent lab in a home environment and determined to use 1.263 kilowatts per hour.
http://www.edenpurestore.com/home

I am not sure if this is the same KWH that I had before or what but here is the info and I am not sure if this is where I got mine from or not...I will check tonight.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Rude,
Is the link the same one you purchased? I told my father about it as a way to heat his cabin in the winter.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Remmi_&_I said:
Rude,
Is the link the same one you purchased? I told my father about it as a way to heat his cabin in the winter.
I forgot the dang papers at home so I am not for sure....I am actually emailing these folks to get some discount prices for quantities. I will remember to bring it in tomorrow or I will get on tonight at home and post the info from there...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
MSG Rude said:
Remmi_&_I said:
Rude,
I forgot the dang papers at home so I am not for sure....I am actually emailing these folks to get some discount prices for quantities. I will remember to bring it in tomorrow or I will get on tonight at home and post the info from there...
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Yes, this is the site and company that I bought them from, BUT, I am working with a dealership for these out of Colorado on some price negotiations and I also got the low down on the new '09 model.

Here is the last email between us:

Hello David,

The reason the '08' model is more expensive is because of the oak wood cabinet that it has. When the '09' model of the SunTwin comes out in about mid Novemeber or so it will cost $449.00, which is what the '08' model was selling for last year. All in all on the SunTwin you are just paying for the nicer cabinet, so it depends on your preference of what you like better.

Here are the differences in the '08' and '09' models in case you would like to know: :)

1) The '08' models have a 1 year warranty and the '09' models have a 3 year warranty.
2) The '08' models have heating elements that are rated to last 3,000-5,000 hours and the '09' models have heating elements that are rated to last around 20,000 hours.
3) The '08' has a thermostat that runs the unit at 1500 watts when the unit is on and will cycle the unit on and off as your room gets warmer and cooler, but the unit is always running at 1500 watts when the unit is on. The '09' model has a thermostat that runs the unit at 1500 watts when you first turn on the unit, it will cycle off when the temperature in the room gets within 2 degrees of the temperature you set the unit at and then to keep your room up to temperature it will turn the unit back on, but will only run it at about 900 watts. It does this by only turning on 4 of the heating elements instead of all 6.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns David and I would be more then happy to assist you. Thank you and hope this helps.

Katrina Hanna
Sales and Service Manager

I will post more info when I get it...I am trying to get us some good deals if a few of us get them. I know that I am getting the 1500 and the 500 for sure and if we all can save a little money then it is a good deal.

Will keep you posted.

David

P.S. I DO NOT WORK FOR, NOR RESPRESENT, THIS COMPANY IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, FASHION, OR FORM! Just trying to save us some money.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw they had a good number of these on ebay

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Here is the update on this. If you order from her, let her know you are from this web site (NODAK Outdoors incase you forgot) so you get the discount.

This is what she sent me:

Hello David,

I would be happy to give you each heater for 10% off if you and your friend order through our company. Which would be 267.30 for each small unit and 357.30 for each larger unit. Please let me know what you think and hope to be talking to you again soon.

Thank you David,

Katrina Hanna
Sales and Service Manager
Katrina Hanna [[email protected]]

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rude,

wrote the lady and i will see what she sends me back for info. I do plan on ordering bigger heater.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Norm70 said:
rude,

wrote the lady and i will see what she sends me back for info. I do plan on ordering bigger heater.
Norm,

She is really cool and will give everyone from this site a 10% discount if they say that they are from here. She wanted to put the discount under my name so if someone called and asked for the David discount, they would get it. I said to put it under the NoDak Outdoors Discount!

Props for the site!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Norm,

Just ordered mine...that price includes shipping too! Rock on. I can not wait to see how much I save this year.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
4CurlRedleg said:
Did you get your heaters Rude?
Sure did and I am actually excited to see how much they cut my bills this winter.

I have an attached three stall that I might put one in to take the edge off from the cold this winter to see how it does.

Got the discount too. Norm, did you get the discount too?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep got the discount. I also got to of the big ones. one was last years model the was factory refurbished but the lady told me it carried the same warranties as the new one. i also got one of this years model. It has yet to get cold enough to use.

I did turn it on one night just to test it out. I have just 1 up stairs in a 1500 sq foot house. turned it all the way up and it raised the temp 7 deg. 5mins after the fan turned on and it was sitting down the hall by the bedroom. the only thermostat we have is in the living room(on the other side of the house)! So i am impressed so far.[/i]

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Norm70 said:
yep got the discount. I also got to of the big ones. one was last years model the was factory refurbished but the lady told me it carried the same warranties as the new one. i also got one of this years model. It has yet to get cold enough to use.

I did turn it on one night just to test it out. I have just 1 up stairs in a 1500 sq foot house. turned it all the way up and it raised the temp 7 deg. 5mins after the fan turned on and it was sitting down the hall by the bedroom. the only thermostat we have is in the living room(on the other side of the house)! So i am impressed so far.[/i]
Ya, I bought the new one too. We still have the windows open at night..I love the cold, wife doesn't though, so it will be a while before I put them in service.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.