North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help on hunting chickens. I drew a permit for the south zone down in the grasslands and was wondering if anyone has seen some and how to tell them apart from the grouse. I plan on putting some miles on walking this weekend and am hoping to have a chance at them. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Eric Hustad said:
Looking for a little help on hunting chickens. I drew a permit for the south zone down in the grasslands and was wondering if anyone has seen some and how to tell them apart from the grouse. I plan on putting some miles on walking this weekend and am hoping to have a chance at them. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Internet Scouter!!! :D Good luck. Check this out:

http://sdakotabirds.com/diffids/prairie ... grouse.htm

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/bird ... chicks.htm

http://www.thefilemyrs.com/Birding/Chic ... mation.htm

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate asking for help with certain locations but in this case its not like they are thick and everyone can hunt one. I have talked to a few landowners who let us hunt for deer down there and have a general area, but it will be interesting to try and tell them apart flying. Thanks for the help!!!!! :beer:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd be worried about telling them apart on the wing too... Though, the worst case scenario is that you shoot a sharpie and take 'er home. I'd be a lot more concerned if I was in an area that was thick with chickens and hunting for sharpies when I didn't have a chicken tag, but in ND they don't let you hunt grouse in the prairie chicken areas unless you have a prairie chicken tag.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I am looking forward to getting out and walking some miles tomorrow as it sounds like a nice day. It is nice you can shoot some sharpies so the dog will have some action. During deer season I am amazed by the grouse down there but you can't shoot them and now I am wondering how many of those birds were chickens??

·
Registered
95 Posts
Eric-

Look in the grouse and partridge hunting section under "Identifying sharptails from prairie chickens"...I posted some side by side photos of my chicken and a sharptail taken two years ago in the south unit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cause I have to work!!! Actually with three kids(2 being twins a little over 3) it has been harder to get away for longer trips. All three have an interest in hunting and I have been taking them out when I can fo just day hunts which is fun too. I am hoping to make the Canada trip sometime in the next couple of years......what's up out there??

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just noticed that the season ended on Sun!!! Crap!!!! My black lab had surgery and was still recovering last weekend so I thought I would go out this weekend. Oh well thanks for the help guys.....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey no problem the season is done anyway. I'm sure I'll be getting a call from Chris saying its raining snow geese up there and I am missing the hunt of a lifetime(again).........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.