North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After deer hunting all weekend. I dont normally get on anyones case for being out hunting or the way they hunt. However, I spent 10 to 12 hours a day hunting in a blind this weekend. And every 10 to 15 minutes a truck or suv would drive by road hunting. Sitting where I was I witnessed 12 shots in the section I was hunting of people that would roll down there window and shoot at deer running 300 to 800 yards out in a field. Where is the satisfaction in this?

I was tought you want to get them close. In my personal experiances I have found that the closer the animal the more the rush for me. I just dont see how rushing around a section at 50 miles an hour trying to cut off a deer from crossing around then smacking it out the window would be any fun.

The ironic thing to what I witnessed this weekend was the guys that were out blasting from the roads were the guys in the bar, convient stores, or around town complain cause there wasnt any deer due to all the corn. Well here is a novel concept. Why dont people scout put the time in to finding a good crossing point, trail, or location to sit and wait for deer to make a mistake? Especiallly with the rut going on and deer becoming stir crazy sitting in the corn.

People can hunt however they want. It just amazes me that there are as pour of hunters out and about during this time of the year. If people don't know how to do it right. I would suggest buying videos, reading books, or talking to older hunters who now how to do it right. NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK ON ANYONE JUST AND OBSERVATION!!!!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Forget politically correct. It should be a personal attack on the arm chair "hunters". I gather these people sit around and watch hunting shows 362 days a year and may on occasion walk to the fridge to get there own beer. Then drive around like yahoos for a 3 day long weekend taking chances and poor shots at deer they happen to drive by. Then brag about what manly great hunters they are. NOT!
I am a hunter and I am embarrased that these people include themselves amongst us. Yes, they may get lucky and kill a deer while driving around, but, they often get unlucky and add to the statistics of hunting accidents that become fuel for the anti-hunting sentiment.

Laziness and stupidity does not make a Hunter or a sportsman.

:soapbox:

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
100% agree!

I find no satisfaction shooting deer off of the road. Have I done it? yes. It does nothing for me.

I had many sweet encounters this weekend. ONe of which was a nice 4x4 pushing 18 does to me. They all stood 50 yards from me looking back at him. That was a rush!

And don't even get me started on my bow buck this weekend! :beer:

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
The thing is, alot of these slobs end up shooting the bigger bucks too...... Pure laziness on there part. But they are the ones missing out on the true experience

·
Registered
545 Posts
Was this all in ND ? I mean I listen all fall how all of the hunters in ND would never do things like this and you all throw the sticks at us MN fellas and yet here you are finally admitting that ND people do hunt like that. Now I would imagine that all of the stick throwing should probably stop since it has been witnessed and admitted too that SOME folks in ND do the things you all accuse us MN people of.

Sorry after all fall about all of the ND guys pissing and moaning about all of the MN guys and everything that they did wrong I just could not pass up the opportunity to throw a little mud back.

Later JD

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
The correct term for the people you just described are PHONYS.

Some of those people will maybe never have a doe standing in front of them at 50 yards in the woods, stomping its feet and blowing air at you. It's an experience that makes the hunt. I passed that one up (tough to do), and ended up shooting a larger doe the next day.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
DodgeLynn said:
Forget politically correct. It should be a personal attack on the arm chair "hunters". I gather these people sit around and watch hunting shows 362 days a year and may on occasion walk to the fridge to get there own beer. Then drive around like yahoos for a 3 day long weekend taking chances and poor shots at deer they happen to drive by. Then brag about what manly great hunters they are. NOT!
I am a hunter and I am embarrased that these people include themselves amongst us. Yes, they may get lucky and kill a deer while driving around, but, they often get unlucky and add to the statistics of hunting accidents that become fuel for the anti-hunting sentiment.

Laziness and stupidity does not make a Hunter or a sportsman.

:soapbox:
Couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
jd mn/nd said:
Was this all in ND ? I mean I listen all fall how all of the hunters in ND would never do things like this and you all throw the sticks at us MN fellas and yet here you are finally admitting that ND people do hunt like that. Now I would imagine that all of the stick throwing should probably stop since it has been witnessed and admitted too that SOME folks in ND do the things you all accuse us MN people of.

Sorry after all fall about all of the ND guys pissing and moaning about all of the MN guys and everything that they did wrong I just could not pass up the opportunity to throw a little mud back.

Later JD
But waterfowl is different! 8)

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
hunt4P&Y said:
jd mn/nd said:

Later JD
But waterfowl is different! 8)
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
jd mn/nd said:

Later JD
:eyeroll:

I think what ****** most NDs off is we have our fair share of resident idiots in the state, we dont need an influx of more coming into the state come September

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Are you trying to distinguish the difference between roost busters and guys that shoot their deer from the roadway?

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
USSapper said:
Are you trying to distinguish the difference between roost busters and guys that shoot their deer from the roadway?
Busting the roost 100% legal, but not ethical.

Shooting a deer from a vechile while on the road. 100% illegal and 100% unethical

·
Registered
545 Posts
NO I know the difference between roost busting and harrassing wildlife with guns and vehicles.

I just wanted someone to give a good explanation as too why it did not seem to be as big of a deal when it was one of your own versus one from out of any state. So it seems that just because it is a local it is less evasive then if it is someone from out of state. I did interpret that correctly did I not?

Now on the other hand how come no one came on here especially from ND asking "did you call the tip line?" or "did you call the local law enforcement and turn in the plate number?" Or any other line that you all use when you see out of state plates? What the heck is the deal you all stick up for each other no matter what the illegal activity is except when it is a lousy guiding operation then everybody rains down hell on them.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Sorry JD, not biting

I feel the same way with slob hunters whether they have blue plate, yellow plates, green plates or ND plates. Illegal is illegal.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Just one more I,I,I, me, me,me posts. If you want to hunt alone on a planet you may have to leave this one. Theres a tear in my beer.... :lol:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yes you are correct I am stirring a little here however I think that you and the rest of them on here get the other point that I am making, and that is that most people on here are quick with tounge as well as the rocks to be thrown when it is a out of state plate and not so quick when it is one their own.

Now back the orginal post I do not and will not ever understand why they think that shooting out of a vehicle is sporting or how they could even consider themselves hunters when they have not done one bit of hunting all they have done is obtained a deer illegally. I would like to hear some of the stories they must tell about how they got the animal. That is the other half of the fun is getting to tell the events that lead up to the harvest.

Later JD

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
jd mn/nd said:
NO I know the difference between roost busting and harrassing wildlife with guns and vehicles.

I just wanted someone to give a good explanation as too why it did not seem to be as big of a deal when it was one of your own versus one from out of any state. So it seems that just because it is a local it is less evasive then if it is someone from out of state. I did interpret that correctly did I not?

Now on the other hand how come no one came on here especially from ND asking "did you call the tip line?" or "did you call the local law enforcement and turn in the plate number?" Or any other line that you all use when you see out of state plates? What the heck is the deal you all stick up for each other no matter what the illegal activity is except when it is a lousy guiding operation then everybody rains down hell on them.
Very weak point jd..

I called in a couple guys this weekend who were driving through the fields shooting at geese from their vehicle and yes they had ND plates.
Had they had MN plates I still would have called them.

And didn't you swear off this site awhile back?? :lol: You must have missed all this Res vs. NRs debate stuff huh??

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hey buckeye, seems you took that one a little personally, did I hit a sore spot? However if you would be so kind as to read the next post below your post you will probably get what I was doing.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
JD,

Before you responded to this thread nobody pointed fingers at MN or indicated that these were the specific people we were indicating. The statements were general to the acts of people that do this all across the map.
The fact that you jumped to that conclusion would indicate to me that you are a man guilty of arm chair hunting or that many in your immediate association are. Guilty conscience? Is that why you identify and feel the need to defend the arm chair hunting methods we were referring to? I am not from ND nor do I hunt there, but, I can offer my opinion on the matter from 2500 kms away and still make valid points that apply in ND as well as in my neck of the woods.

It doesn't matter where it happens and where you are from, its the act itself that is reckless, lazy and irresponsible.

If you are too lazy, to walk in the woods; too caught up in bravado to slow down and enjoy the experience; and too dense to realize the risk of harm involved...than do us all a favour and by the video game. I am sure somewhere in there you can enter your name on some wall of great hunting heroes in the world of Wii.

If shooting from a truck for a few days out of the year is anyones idea of hunting, than they are totally missing the point of the experience as a collective whole. I don't believe they deserve that gratification anyway, leave that to the ones...no....leave that to the HUNTERS.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts