North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that this topic has been covered before and I tried to find a discussion but with out success. so maybe some one knows that answer to my question.

On a recent trip to North Dakota, I noticed several fields that were obviously "hunted" for pheasants using ATV's. This was obvious from the tire tracks which quarterd the entire length of some fields. I thought that it was against the law to drive off of established roads or prairie trails defined as at least having two ruts. Is that not correct?

Besides not being very sporting, it seems like it should be illegal if it isn't already. It is not an isolated practice based on my observations. And before anyone takes off on criticism of NR's, I know that at least two of the fieklds that I saw were so scarred by resident hunters. No doubt some NR's are doing it too but this is not limited to one group.

·
Registered
649 Posts
On a recent trip to North Dakota, I noticed several fields that were obviously "hunted" for pheasants using ATV's. This was obvious from the tire tracks which quarterd the entire length of some fields. I thought that it was against the law to drive off of established roads or prairie trails defined as at least having two ruts. Is that not correct?
How do you know they were "hunted" this way? Landowner friend of mine uses his ATV to spot spray weeds in this CRP field(s). The tracks are obvious for a long time...especially when it's dry.

You can drive off the trail if you have permission from the landowner.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that at least a couple of them did not have tracks before the pheasant season opened and did two days later. Maybe they had permission. I don't know for sure. Either way, it is a poor practice in my book.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
tumblebuck said:
How do you know they were "hunted" this way? Landowner friend of mine uses his ATV to spot spray weeds in this CRP field(s). The tracks are obvious for a long time...especially when it's dry.

Not if you are hunting pheasants...

·
Registered
649 Posts
From regs:

It is illegal to drive motor-driven vehicles off established roads and trails unless hunting waterfowl or cranes. Except for persons having a special disability permit, no person may use a motor-driven vehicle while in the process of hunting small game (except waterfowl or cranes) or aid another in the process of hunting small game (except waterfowl or cranes) including travel to and from a hunting location unless the motor-driven vehicle is on an established road or trail. Exception: A landowner or a lessee who actively farms or ranches the land, or a person having written permission from the landowner or lessee, may use a motor-driven vehicle off of an established road or trail to hunt small game except during the deer gun season.
They changed that rule a couple years ago :wink:

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
tumblebuck said:
From regs:

It is illegal to drive motor-driven vehicles off established roads and trails unless hunting waterfowl or cranes. Except for persons having a special disability permit, no person may use a motor-driven vehicle while in the process of hunting small game (except waterfowl or cranes) or aid another in the process of hunting small game (except waterfowl or cranes) including travel to and from a hunting location unless the motor-driven vehicle is on an established road or trail. Exception: A landowner or a lessee who actively farms or ranches the land, or a person having written permission from the landowner or lessee, may use a motor-driven vehicle off of an established road or trail to hunt small game except during the deer gun season.
They changed that rule a couple years ago :wink:
correct.

A little discussed or known change...

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Rick Acker said:
tumblebuck said:

Not if you are hunting pheasants...
Rick.....the law was changed last session wasn't it?You can drive anywhere with Written Permission when hunting anything except deer.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I think it was changed 2 sessions ago. It was called the "Drive all over hell bill". Get this, one person with political clout got the bill shoved through. He didn't want to walk into his ground. Sweet.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Dick Monson said:
I think it was changed 2 sessions ago. It was called the "Drive all over hell bill". Get this, one person with political clout got the bill shoved through. He didn't want to walk into his ground. Sweet.
I like that....."Drive all over hell" bill.I don't think a lot of people realize that the law was changed.Wasn't it changed so us senior citizens could drive to the ends of cover to post? :oops:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Whatever the arguement is, the current rules allow you to drive in fields for pheasants if you have permission.

Have seen the ATV thing and it was definitely by people hunting pheasants that did not have disability.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
g/o said:
Damn good law, again only takes place on private land. As a landowner I should be allowed to drive to my honey hole if I choose.
Or so you can drive your fat out of shape clients out to the slough in the middle of the section instead of making them actually work for the birds.

Figures you'd be the guy defending it it... :eyeroll:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
dblkluk said:
g/o said:
Damn good law, again only takes place on private land. As a landowner I should be allowed to drive to my honey hole if I choose.
Or so you can drive your fat out of shape clients out to the slough in the middle of the section instead of making them actually work for the birds.

Nice post dblkluk, So why shouldn't it be legal? It is alright to drive out to hunt waterfowl, why shouldn't I be able to drive out on land I OWN NOT YOU!!!!! By the way I'm sure 90 % of my clients are in much better shape than you.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
g/o said:
dblkluk said:
g/o said:

Nice post dblkluk, So why shouldn't it be legal? It is alright to drive out to hunt waterfowl, why shouldn't I be able to drive out on land I OWN NOT YOU!!!!! By the way I'm sure 90 % of my clients are in much better shape than you.
For the same reasons it is not legal for deer hunting. and in my opinion, tactics used for hunting upland are very similar to those used to hunt deer.

I also am a landowner and I wouldn't even consider driving down to the particular fenceline where the pheasants hang out on my place, but I guess if someone was paying me hundreds of dollars to kill the easiest way possible, maybe thats where values are compromised.. :wink:

Obviously you must have me confused with someone else.. I'll take that fitness challenge anyday.. 8)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts