North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
From what I hear this bill is "less than wonderful" anyway.

It appears to me it may be little more than an attempt to get Rupublicans to vote against it (because it's "less than wonderful") so they Pelosi and Reid can say, "We had a bill to drill and they voted against it".

From what I see this bill depribes the States of money from the drilling and it allows drilling on places where there is little to no infrastucture and it also puts a permanent ban on drilling in a higher percentage of coastal waters than what current law does.

Assuming I'm correct about that ... I'd say that's a "less than wonderful bill".

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 16_pf.html

This bill is purposely bad. They want Bush to veto it so they said they wanted to drill, and put the blame on Bush. He said as it stands he will veto it. He has to it forever bans the best offshore reserves.

The house has passed the bill. I will be surprised if the senate doesn't. Bush will veto it. This bill is worse than doing nothing.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
exactly, the gamesmanship the dems are playing is totally disrespectful. the politicians in Washington don't represent the people, they screw the people over and over and over......Pelosi has only the liberal, gays from San Francisco backing her, soon she will be out on her ***.....she and Harry Reid might as well be Muslim extremists, as they are out to destroy the country. if my kids behaved this way, they would get a spanking and sent to bed without supper......we the people, will never able to take back our government.....it is lost forever....

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Sounds like the consensus is it will not make it through the Senate. But it also sounds like I may be wrong about Pelosi's IQ (did I say that outloud? :eek: ), because the bill just may accomplish it's true goal... :puke:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Did anyone notice that when this bill came out and President Bush said he would veto it the price of oil started to move higher?

I am glad to see that most of you on this site can see the writing on the wall especially when this type of bull crap is being pushed by Pelosi and Reid.

I usually don't get into much of this kind of issue but I was :******: last Friday the price of gas was over 4 dollars a gallon and the day before I had filled up at $3.51. :soapbox:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I read the Washington Post article and noticed a couple things I didn't know. First, if the current ban on offshore drilling expires in a couple weeks, wouldn't the best thing that could happen be......nothing?

It will expire, at which point ALL drilling will be fair game, and the Dems will be forced to show their cards and pass a bill to stop or limit it, or just reinstate the current bill...right?

That would go over well at the polls :wink:

Secondly, what are the "royalties" Ms. Pelosi speaks of? Sounds like a tax to me. A tax that will be passed on to us, resulting in still too high gas prices.

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I know that coal in Kentucky has a royalty of around 10% per ton. The low sulfur coal spot price is 140.00 per ton at this time. A year or so ago it was in the 40 to 45 dollar range. That is to the owner of the property that the coal is under.

40.00 ton x 1000000 = 40000000

we have billions of tons of coal in the US not counting the coal bed methane, natural gas and oil.

Apparently all the people of Alaska own the oil so that is how Palin gave them a chunk of money back.

I think the states that have oil should work out a similar system and work with the oil companies to put the wells where it wouldn't impact tourism or other vital income or resources.

The only problem that has me worried is like the lottery that we started here a few years ago was supposed to help our schools, the most I have seen is it has lined the pockets of the people running it.

It is really unimaginable at how much money that is involved in all the different energy industrys in the US. Its like putting a good man in public office and in a couple of years all you have is a politician. :soapbox:

Still :******: about the gas going up even before IKE hit!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Point taken, Runner, but the royalties in question in the pending bill go to the US govt, not any individual state(s), so it's a tax as far as I'm concerned...and a cost to the oil company. And we don't expect them to eat that cost out of the goodness of their heart...do we?

So much for lookin out for us little guys, huh?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Maybe the gov should get a royalty and use it only to pay off the national dept to all the countrys we have borrowed from. Just a thought. :-?

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
The only problem that has me worried is like the lottery that we started here a few years ago was supposed to help our schools, the most I have seen is it has lined the pockets of the people running it.
Remember the billions of dollars in the tax settlements with tobacco that was supposed to be used for health care? What did the North Dakota legislature do with it? I'm not really sure, I do know they wanted to use it for the Devils Lake outlet. As the only thing our legislature considers is farmers I guess that's where ours perhaps went. Anyone know?????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.