North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my third year hunting Nodak int he DL area. I am a "freelance" hunter willing to work as hard as I have to to find and hunt ducks. My first year in ND we hunted a spot on the SW side of Lake Alice?? where an old farm is now under water. The only thing left is a couple of Grain bins on the dry ground. Anyway we parked there and walked where the road used to be thru knee deep water for about a mile careful not to fall into the deep ditches on both sides of us out to a point on a tree line that we hunted. It was an awesome spot!! Flooded timber and very pretty views. Last year I made my way back to same spot and as I drove down the road a couple of hours before sunrise there were signs on both sides of the road that said "paid hunting access only". :( Is this legal? They were posting water on a county road......Is it illegal to access water from a public roadway? I went back later that week to see if anyone was there to talk to, but there were some guys hunting right of the road and I didn't want to disturb their hunt? Is anyone familiar with this area I'm talking about??

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think I know the spot you are talking about and think if you come of the road they would be hard pressed to bust you. I would say give the ND G&F a call and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I've been there too -

I think your OK there but I'd check with the USFWS office in Devilslake there is some refuge land that is open some not & alot of meandering stuff around there

Let us (me) know what you find out :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just found out that the farmer posted it to protect what he had left of his farmstead that is almost completely under water. People were driving boats right into what was his backyard I guess?? I talked with a G&F Officer last year and he told me it was legal to enter the water from the road, but if someone presses tresspassing charges and claims that it is their land or their right to post it, then a ticket will be issued and it will be up to the courts to decide. Nodak is too big of a state to get mad over it, I'll just find some new spots. I will however contact the farmer this year and try to get permission to walk back there again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts