North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:beer: Just had my 1st morning out now the UK pheasant season has started. Only a few birds about but the dog flushed a couple of nice cock birds which were duly shot so not bad start to 2008 season :beer:

I'll post some photo's later Iv.......

·
Registered
115 Posts
Excellent!! We still have a little over a week before our season starts here, I can't wait. Post up some pictures, I'd like to see how you guys hunt across the pond. :beer:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I believe they call that "rough shooting"

Are those wild or pen raised. When I think of England and Phez, I think of the driven shoots that are held on big estates, where the birds are driven to the awaiting gunners. They call the style of hunting that we do on our side "rough shooting" and wasn't sure how popular it was.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi yes we call it rough shooting or walk up. Most of the pheasants we shoot are strays from an estate than surrounds the farms we shoot (very lucky )for us. :lol: We do dog alot of the birds back over the boundry & just take a few good birds. Most of the pheasant & partridge shooting is driven . me and my mates do beating or picking up on a couple of the local estates. Cheapest driven bird in my area is £24 a bird so out of my price range. Walk up is more fun anyway watching the dogs work :beer:
Cheers Iv............

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
24 lbs a bird?!!!!! Yikes, that's almost as much jing as Cannonball charges! :eek: Seriously, thank you for posting up the story and pictures.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
meathunter1 said:
Great pics.

What kind of spaniel are you hunting behind. Looks like a fine dog.
I hunt behind an English Springer Spaniel she is 3 1/2yrs old 1st spaniel I've had I've always had labs in the past but the springer will do anything the labs do & more great little dogs. And yes £24 is the cheapest if you won't shoot at the better estates & higher birds you can pay £35 +vat (tax @ 17.5% ) If you buy walk up birds days you are looking about £150 for approx 10 birds & every thing has gone up this year due to fuel price etc

I'm out shooting mon & tues so will post some pic's Iv...... :beer:

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's a good looking dog gunhills, like tabes, I'm a springer man too. 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hunt behind griffons, but I've always like springers. They are a great versatile breed of flushers.

"£150 for approx 10 birds & every thing has gone up this year due to fuel price "

The irony is that most of us will be "paying" about the same price for our due to fuel prices as well.

Oh well....good shooting!

·
Registered
306 Posts
94NDTA said:
blhunter3 said:
Nice pictures, I didn't realize you had pheasants or there.
Pheasants were actually brought over from england. They are not a native bird in the US :beer:
Actually, the first pheasants introduced to the states came from China and were introduced in Oregon in 1881. All phez species (not including hybrids) originate from China including the Ringneck, ala Chinese Ringneck Pheasant. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.