North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to say that there were some pretty large amount of birds within the central illinois region. Seemed really productive on Saturday and Sunday both. Not as many geese seen as there have been. The teal numbers around here are up enormously. Most of the ones we shot were green wings. Seems we were also very productive at shovelers and ring bills as well. Mallards quite a few but hard to work because they were locals. Our total kill on opening day was 12 ducks and 1 goose. That sunday we had a total of 11 ducks. 3rd day (today) seen a lot more geese and probably should've had to. Other than that only killed one ring bill. Other than that aerial surveys showed that gadwalds and pintails are huge right now. Weird thing is, only saw one or two wads of'em.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We had alot of wood ducks early but not much the rest of the day, our group ended up with 5 on saturday. Sunday nothing we couldn't hit anything but saw alot of ducks that weren't there saturday. Lots of gadwalls and mallards made the push over the weekend it seemed like. Hopefully the next few weeks will pick up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think so espically this cold weather will definitly start pushin them down. if you go to prairiestatoutdoors.com you can read up on the latest aerial surveys along with highlights of how everyone did

·
Registered
182 Posts
ill have to check it out, what part of central Illinois did you hunt last weekend?

·
Registered
182 Posts
we have tried...that was with a guide a few years ago. Dont have the money for a spread yet, hopefully in a few years can have a spread like that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
down by were we hunt, normally holds alot of them during the late winter, i have a few decoys but need to find a field to hunt them. They hold up about a half mile from were we duck hunt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts