North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Secured permission to hunt a field on Saturday morning that had a few sob's and ducks in it.

My son and I weren't expecting too much, but boy were we wrong. I easily shot my limits of mallards and 4 snow geese. We had flocks of i'd guess 3-400 ducks landing on us all morning long. Could have probably shot 50-60 ducks easy. My son had one land within 5-7 inches of his head and start feeding at the base of his blind. When it took off it's wings were hitting right next to his face. I told him he should have grabbed it, but he said why would i do that, it was a hen....teaching him early :wink:

Wierd thing was though, one of the mallards I shot only had one webbed foot. The other leg went down to the knuckle, then was skinned over like it had been like that for a long time. I fogot my darn camera so i don't have any photos, but it was different. Must have been tough for that thing to swim with only one foot. Probably just did circles :lol:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought of those scenarios, but also thought it might have got caught in a trap also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I shot a mallard last year with a deformed wing. It was normal on one side but one wing looked almost skeletal, very few feathers and shorter than the other wing. (Jumped it off a pond, started running across the water and flapping, it could fly but barely, wasn't a ground swat.) We took it to the DNR office to see if they could give us some details on what this could be. They only said it was a birth deformity and that it wasn't diseased.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
shiawassee_kid said:
pike got it when he was a toddler, or shot off...or just deformity from birth. I've seen a few like that in my years.
like jonesy said.. likely a snapping turtle

other possibilities are muskrats, or even a river otter depending where it grew up.

We had one just like that 3 years ago.. it's probably more common than most think, as those are the ones that "got away", managed to live long enough, and then were shot by a hunter..

·
Registered
88 Posts
A buddy of mine shot a carp this summer with no tail, it was about 15 pounds too. It was healed over a few inches above where the tail would have started. Wasn't a tough shot since he was so slow. Big muskie? Hit by outboard? Hm..?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drake Jake said:
my bro shot one last year also.

It wasn't exactly like that. that one looks like it was damaged. The bird i shot, the foot just looked like it never grew. It was a perfectly rounded knuckle with undamaged skin (maybe a little worn from walking around) growing around it. It's maybe more common than i thought, but still an oddity.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A predator is not going to cut off a foot cleanly especially a fish! These ducks are just survivors from someone that shot behind them and tagged their foot. It eventually fell off leaving a stump. Seen it many many times with all types of ducks and geese.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts