North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out scouting tonight and found my first goose I would mount up on the ol wall. I forgot my camera as luck would have it, but will scout again friday night and might be able to get a couple pics. It had a canada head , black with white cheek patches then a brite white neck, belly, back tail feathers, and white under the wings with a canada back and top wings with bright orange feet. It was in the evening sunlight and looked AWSOME !!! I need to get that bird!! Canada snow cross. I know others have seen geese simmilar to this but in reality how rare is it ?

Adam

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
We used to have a white honker migrate through each year, I think it was the same one because it was in the same field each year. I told one wrong person and they had to kill it instead of let others enjoy seeing it also. To me that was the height of greed!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good luck getting that bird! That's exciting! Rare mounts make great trophies.

I was spring snow goose hunting in Sask a couple years ago...

It was the first afternoon and my one finger had a serious itch to it. So I took a break from scouting and got close to a swarm of snows on a little marsh. There were birds coming and going and after a couple whacks at them the main bunch got up and got outta there.

A lone dark goose started flying straight at me and I thought it was a blue so I ducked down with my Lab. It got to about 100 yards out (coming straight at me) and started honking away. I sat up (thinking it was just a Canada now) and watched him fly towards me. Just as he hit about 65 yards I realized it was a hybrid- Blue/Canada cross. I threw three rounds at him as fast as I could, hitting him at least twice, and he crashed into the field behind me. I was so excited when I walked up to him!

I don't have a picture handy but he had a blue bill (with markings and colors of a Widgeon), a dark chest which faded to light grey in the belly, bluish grey feet, and a faded back end to his cheek patch, which started right at his blue bill as crisp as could be. Just like a mature Speck!

If I think of it before heading to Sask this weekend I'll post the picture. Amazing taxidermy job too!

Well, better get back to work! Big Crane hunt next week... :roll:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
aboller said:
does a quills lake canada have orange feet though ?
they have pink feet which could have appeared to be orange at the time. Although im not sure what a quills would be doing down here this time year unless he was wounded or if you saw him abouts where your location is he might be down there to go to the megamall or something :huh:

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Talked to Justin about this last night Adam. Sounds like a sweet bird, good luck on him. Ive been watching birds around that area since I was a little kid, yet Ive never hunted them.. Man do they stack up there in the late fall, a lot of the area I used to want to hunt is probably in city limits now though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
aboller said:
I was out scouting tonight and found my first goose I would mount up on the ol wall. I forgot my camera as luck would have it, but will scout again friday night and might be able to get a couple pics. It had a canada head , black with white cheek patches then a brite white neck, belly, back tail feathers, and white under the wings with a canada back and top wings with bright orange feet. It was in the evening sunlight and looked AWSOME !!! I need to get that bird!! Canada snow cross. I know others have seen geese simmilar to this but in reality how rare is it ?

Adam
a snow or a canada wouldnt have bright orange feet just throwin that out there......a speck would

1 - 12 of 12 Posts