North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals! Just wondering if you care to share the oldest bird that you have shot with a band on it. I shot a Bull canvasback in 04'. Couldn't read the numbers on it so I sent it in for them to acid etch it. got the info back on it.

Tagged in Maryland. hatched in 1986 or earlier. Which means the bird was over 18 yrs old! When I got the info back I punched myself in the face several times. :x I didn't get the bird mounted, but fortunately I did get a couple pictures of it!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
shooteminthelips said:
Shot a neck collared Ross Goose last spring that was banded in 1993!
That's crazy...the collar lasted 15 years. I think the Feds say on average a collar lasts only 2-3 years on artic nesting geese.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Another cool thing that happend is we shot two bands that day 2 hours a part. The neck collar was a single the other ross goose we shot with a band, was in a group of 6. The bands were with in 260 numbers of each other. They were banded the same year same location in Nuvenut. Both very old birds.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I shot a nine year old drake mallard and I thought that was cool until I read about all of these. Very nice.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Matt Jones said:
shooteminthelips said:
Shot a neck collared Ross Goose last spring that was banded in 1993!
That's crazy...the collar lasted 15 years. I think the Feds say on average a collar lasts only 2-3 years on artic nesting geese.
Did they say if it was a re-capture? I have helped to band several times and they commonly catch old banded birds and replace bands. Maybe they replaced the collar? Looks pretty new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow - those are some pretty old birds.

I got a 16 year old honker, banded in IA. Landed in the decoys - the band was so wore almost broke it taking it off as well.

Other than that got an 11 year old mally two years ago!

How many spreads does a snow goose see every year on the way up and down?? It's crazy to me that they can get to be that old! Congrats on being the group to do it!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I shot a rossie this spring that was banded as an adult in '99, so at least ten years old. Pale in comparison to some on here so far.

I did shoot a two year old mallard banded as a juvy in Maryland. Who says they dont skip flyways?

On a side note, I have four bands on my keychain, three are the bands that say "write bird band laurel MD" (came off a ross and two mallards in the last ten years), but one is an Avise bird band which says to write washington DC and has no phone number on it (off a honker a loooong time ago). Does anybody ever get avise bands anymore? Im assuming their old (if i remember right I shot the honker in '93 or '94, dont recall the age of the bird).

·
Registered
733 Posts
barebackjack said:
I shot a rossie this spring that was banded as an adult in '99, so at least ten years old. Pale in comparison to some on here so far.

I did shoot a two year old mallard banded as a juvy in Maryland. Who says they dont skip flyways?

On a side note, I have four bands on my keychain, three are the bands that say "write bird band laurel MD" (came off a ross and two mallards in the last ten years), but one is an Avise bird band which says to write washington DC and has no phone number on it (off a honker a loooong time ago). Does anybody ever get avise bands anymore? Im assuming their old (if i remember right I shot the honker in '93 or '94, dont recall the age of the bird).
For those advise bands...I think you can call the 800 numbers on the other bands?

Last year I shot a young drake mallard that was banded. When I got info back I found it had been banded about six months prior on a slough(wpa) about 1 mile away.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I can't say much for oldest duck band, but newest I might be a contender. I have a two day old band and a five day old band. Didn't see either of those bands before shooting the birds either. Just chance.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
franchi said:
I can't say much for oldest duck band, but newest I might be a contender. I have a two day old band and a five day old band. Didn't see either of those bands before shooting the birds either. Just chance.
You didn't use the same blind they did for banding did you?? :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts