North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New to the forum. I would really like to get my golden "Conner" out there with me duck hunting. He is almost 3 years old. He loves to fetch, obeys fairly well; "sit, stay, come, etc..." I have been doing a little reading and I keep reading to start em as a pup. I got him when he was approx. 6 months. Can this teenage dog learn to retrieve duck or dove? I am more than willing to spend the time with him. I just don't have the money for a trainer. If there are success stories out there I would love to hear them. I will continue to search this site and others for tips, what not to, etc.. Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Make sure he does heel, sit, stay and come consistently. Obedience is the key. I would buy a book like the "10 Minute Retriever" and start consistently working the drills a little every day. I you can probably make him into a hunting retriever. Find a retriever club. You can do it yourself if you find a plan and consistently stick to it.

Wes

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.