North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shooteminthelips said:
That is just what they look like when they are getting close to colored out. Nice bird congrats..
You 100% sure about that? I dont know how many Gads I have held in my hands but I KNOW I have never seen one with head colorations like this.

He was no bigger than a hen, this pic is a side by side between him and a normal gaddy drake...just dont show off the irridecent colors as much. The other gad was a fully colored almost spring looking drake.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I am a 100% sure on that.. We see fully collored out ones come through in the spring when we are snow goose hunting...The ones you have been shooting have been immatures.. I will post some pics up this spring of some nice colored out ones for ya!

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
That is not a common feathered out Gadwal...Most spring Gadwals DO NOT develope the purple/green patch on the head...As you can see by my picture of a fully plummed out Spring Gadwal...I've heard that some drake Gadwals develope this color phase, it's certainly not common!

You have a nice trophy there...Hope you are getting it mounted!

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Nope, Brewers ducks have a different speculum on the wing...I've seen several close up...Just a rare color phase of a Gadwal.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Rick, where did you get that picture? Is that a captive bird?

Nice bird, congrats jkern. :beer:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have seen pictures of Gadwalls that look like that bird but not many. I shot one that could be its twin brother this weekend in central Iowa which is going on the wall. My guess is plumeage variance with in the species. Or from the "Brewers Ducks" I have seen, the purple might suggest it has Mallard blood somewhere in its not too distant gene pool

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was up in the air whether to get it mounted or not. Was fully ready to breast the bird out when my son grabs it and says, "Dad are you serious?" :lol:

I got a Mallard/Pintail cross last year and I tink I am gonna have the 2 done together. :beer:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.