North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are businesses that spoke out against restrictions on NRs by testifying against SB 2048, or by sending letters to the Governor to not restrict by caps or zones, or news paper articles. Before your next trip fishing or hunting you should know who did not support resident or freelance hunters. It is up to you if you want to avoid them or not. Buy the way residents spent 402.7 (86%) million dollars in ND hunting and fishing, and 213 million dollars (82%) in rural areas. The Avg. resident spends 19 days hunting.

Devils Lake Area:
Woodland Resort, Great American Inn,Liquar Locker,Spririt Water Inn, and West Bay Resort.
Michigan:
Michigan Amoco, Johnson Store, and Legion Bar.
Lakota:Russo's Cafe
Steele: Lone Steer
Lamoure:Omega Motel,Lamoure Supper Club,and Good Oil Co.
Streeter: Streeter Coop,DJ"s Bar,and Streeter Grocery.
Ashley: Dakota Family restaurant
Ellendale:BNC Bank
Lidgerwood:The Hotel
Oaks:E+I Motel
Fessenden:AJ's Motel
Wishek:praire Winds Restaurant
Carrington: Cheifton Motel and Bar
Fargo: SCHEELS ALL SPORTS, Dave and Dan Currier owners Dakota Fence

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
What would make Dakota Fence support anti resident legislation? I was going to call them for a bid on a fence for my home . Not anymore. Their out of the picture.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Owners of Dakota fence are very involed in Cannon Ball Co. and their letter thought that SD's public land programs could solve all are problems.Their letter was sent to me by a legislator.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have time to rewrite whole letter.But as I am looking at it , I will copy some of it.
Feb. 26,2003
"SB2048-VOTE NO-This is bad legislation for ND,it's bad for the resident hunter and it is bad for the NR hunter............"
"Any ND access program upgrades can be funded through "user fees" i.e:license fee increases.Hunter caps should be the LAST resort not the FIRST."
Vote no on SB2048
Dan Currier and Dave Currier 701 237-xxxx (W)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Drakekiller,

Please list the quotes where any of these businesses said they were against resident hunters. I think it is only fair they get exact credit for what they said. I was there and did not hear any of them say they were against resident hunters.

Econ

·
Registered
74 Posts
The following is from Randy Frost. He cannot seem to get on to give his opinion on this subject, so I have said I would post it for him.

Hypocrisy, it rears its ugly head again. The vocal supporters of restricting non-resident hunters were willing to forgive Chris Hustad for allowing commercial hunting operations to advertise on this site because it is just good business for him but now you are beginning the process of boycotting the businesses that do no share your views on the value of non-residents to their businessees and the state.

During the session, there was considerable talk from many landowners to severely restrict the access of hunting ground to our more urban sportman over this issue. When I was asked if I thought this was a good idea my answer was an emphatic no!!! The effort by some on this site to attack or target businesses for testifying in Bismarck ia a very dangerous step in the wrong direction. The democratic way allows for the discussion of policy and allows our citizens the opportunity to give input and direction to our elected officials. Boycotts can be effective, I'll give you that, but it is very low and can affect people who had nothing to do with the issue debated. Real people with real families work for the companies you are beginning to target.

Two last points: Oppsoing the cap proposals of last session does not equal opposing resident hunters no more than supporting them equals opposing non-resident hunters. A forum is a place to debate not a place to cause potential damage to others. Chris, you should seriously consider not allowing this type of thread on the forum. This could truly result in an all out boycott war with all of s suffering.

Randy Frost

·
Registered
110 Posts
they did not need to. their actions speak louder than words. they were against the SB2048 therefor they are against residents. I didn't here one resident say they were against NR's but yet I still here how us residents are against the NR's. Where is the genius cityboy when you need him. I have never hunted or fished in MN. I do not care to. they tax the piss out of NR cabin owners. If MN wants to do a little reciprosity. I am game. I have said it before, when it comes to reciprosity, MN gets the better deal. the hunting fees just leveled the playing field a little. Besides, If MN is so great, stay home and hunt. As of Oct 1 I will be a NR. So I got just as much to lose as any NR and I will support ND decisions to place limits on numbers or time for NR's. However I will lose my vote so my say will mean nothing. Three cheers for Hoven:
Hip, Hip- :puke:
Hip, Hip- :puke:
hip, hip - :puke:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ron,

My sign is I WELCOME ALL HUNTERS FROM ANYWHERE, YOU ARE ALL TOO IMPORTANT TO LOOSE ANY OF YOU, BOTH RESIDENT AND NON-RESIDENT.
Get it thru your thick skull, Ron, I never have nor never will agree with a cap not because I am anti-resident, but because I am against any attempt to limit the potential of the Lake Region. We have been limited by too many natural disasters ect. and we do not need you to limit us in an unnatural way!!!!!!! Got it???????? If you want caps where you live, then so be it. You do not live here and have no idea what you are talking about for the Lake Region.

Econ

·
Registered
110 Posts
Econ,
Cause money is all your concerned about. I have been to the lake region. You say all you have to do is ask. :bs: We were turned down by every land owner we talked to. we ended up ordering a pizza at the Davis Motel and getting up in the AM and going home. Road trip for a pizza. And once again, all your looking at is the money. You would sell out the entire state if it would help your precious lake region. what a joke :withstupid:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
con why don't you post the sign saying I did not support SB2048 along with your other sign. See the difference is that I am willing to put my name out in the public so that anyone that agree's or disagree's with me know who I am when I introduce myself. I have an axe to grind with commericalztion of hunting and those that exploit the resource with no regards to future problems or population levels. For some reason you fail to see that.

Once again come out and stand up for what you so boldy proclaim let people know how you are and then let them decide if they want to do business with you.

You continue to hide behind the shield of a screen name and misrepresent yourself to the public that are freqenting your faclity. If you are so confident in your beliefs and ethics then stop hiding and do as I have done.

My efforts have caused me to lose some access and I was prepared to sacrifice them for principals and future geneations of sportmen both resident and nonresident. You on the other hand want to eat out of all the troughs and have someone else pick up the feed bill.

You need a outlet for the Lake to prevent flooding, how about a tax on the dollars the high water levels have brought to your region, then Nelson county can be self supporting and not need anything from the rest of the state. Beings that the resource is unlimitless your bond should be paid for in say fifty years, maybe even twenty with all the people you want to bring to your area. Find someplace to send the water besides downstream because we have had enough of the S### that is flowing out of Nelson County and I for one do not want to have to build another waste treatment plant.

·
Registered
536 Posts
jimboy said:
they did not need to. their actions speak louder than words. they were against the SB2048 therefor they are against residents.
Jimboy, I don't agree with that statement at all. I was against SB2048 as it was originally written but in no way am I against the resident hunters. Not one of my reasons against the bill had anything to do with being anti-resident. I would guess that most of the other opponents feel the same way.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Econ You state that your area is limited by natural disasters. I assume that you are refering to the rising lake level. This natural disaster has made your fishing world class in Devils Lake. It has filled your basin area wetlands and made the waterfowling better. It has pumped untold millions of govt money into your reigon. These are the main things that draw people to your area. You would be in much worse shape without this natural disaster. What about the post from waterchicken of Hutchinson Minn ( We left a day early very frustated at the lack of accessible land). You say there is no problem with access. The great attribute of this website is the fact that it is not censored. When that is gone so am I.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Old Hunter
You are 100% on that one. Plenty of people have profited off the flood in DL. Woodland Resort was moved twice by FEMA. Tony Dean has went on record as saying DL would lose money if the lake went way down because farming is not coming back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ron,

I have never and will never claim an outlet is the end all to the Regions problems. I am too realistic to believe there ever will be an outlet, so get off your high horse on the subject.

I am not exploiting any resource at all. We have a USF&W service that is very competent with its limits and laws and does an excellent job of managing the resource. Did they advocate there were too many hunters in ND???? Not that I am aware of, but if they did I am sure you will point it out to everyone. :D

By the way, take a ND geography class so you know the state's proposed outlet is out of the west end (Ramsey county) through Benson county. I am sure you will appologize to the citizens of Nelson county for your mistake. I am sure they do not want to send you any more s### either. I wonder how anyone could tell in the Red River anyway.

jimboy,

Sounds like you are one of those fly by night hunters who doesn't do any research before he hunts. Had you come up earlier than the day you wanted to hunt , you more than likely would have had plenty of opportunities to hunt in this great area.
Also, sounds like all you are concerned about is money if you are leaving this great state to get more money. Good luck to you, and I am sure you will be back as ND is the best the country has to offer. I am staying to continue to grind out an income in this great state.

SiouxperDave25,

Your statement is 100% correct. jimboy and others, in Dan's words, are spinning their side the best they can.

No one has answered me on the question of a quote from any opposition to 2048 that said they are against resident hunters. Seems the spinning continues.

Econ

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Econ still hiding I see. Still not willing to put up your sign. As for the USFWS maybe you should look at there figures and dig a little deeper into just how the season limits are set.

We currently are below the 50 year average on all ducks especially pintails Cans and Bluebills. But due to commerialzied hunting and the money it generates they once again succumed to political pressure and gave us a liberal season, when even the USFWS stated we are killing to many ducks.

Once again you show your lack of understanding of this issue and the resource. How many times did we here that we have record numbers of ducks all time high's. Migratory birds inhabit area's from the artic circle all the way down inot Mexico.

When to many are removed from the population and nesting conditions are poor or the success rate of the hens drop, we could see a number of species become tthreaten and you can bet you next dollar that if that happens hunting could be stopped by the courts. But the big picture escapes you. This could happen in just two short seasons.

Those that care are the ones that your side does not support because in the short term money is all that you see. Me I want to see ducks in the air 20 years from now. I want my children to have the opportunity to learn about the waterfowl besides from a book.

My dad once said vultures where made ugly by god as punishment for being an oportunistic taker and reling on others to provide for them with out giving as much back as they use. I see dark bodies circling the DL area but few see them because they have ther heads buried in the sand.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Econ,
We took the friday off and went. Spent the day trying to get access. since we had reservations at the Davis we decided to stay and sample the pizza which was very good I might add. All I here is "all you have to do is ask :bs: I will never hunt the lake region again.

Dave,
I don't agree either. Just wanted to make a point how people can percieve information and contort it into something totally untrue. Much like the FB, G&O, and a few land owners. :beer:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts