North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant believe i finally got my first lesser!! i never relize how small they really get for one and how high pitched there honks are. my dad and i were sittin in cattails thinkin there was a snow behind us. we kept hearing this honk but it deseapered then about a half hour later me dad and i went into the decoys to move them around and then that high pitched honk came back. so we ducked as low to the water as we could and then we saw him cupped comein in. he didnt come right in, it still was a pretty far poke but still got him. :D and the really cool thing was after about an hour we heard the high pitch again this time we saw them across the lake coming in. it made my whole day watchin the 20 lessers comin in flippin on there back. but with our great shootin skills we dropped one out of 6 shots :oops:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
honestly dont know. i hate the taste of ducks and geese so i make jerky out of all the waterfowl i shoot, so it hides the taste of it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Nice work on the geese. They are really tiny aren't they?
About merganser taste: My experience has been that the hooded and red breasted are fishy tasting and even smell that when cleaned. The big mergansers... and I want to say american mergansers aren't so bad. Don't konw what the diff is but that's my input on mergy eating :)

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Nice bird...You should get him mounted... :lol: Way to go, he'll look good next to your Mallard/Black! :beer:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya rick you almost got a phone call :lol: im gettin ready to go to north dakota to do some huntin and savin the money for a mature blue. hey rick i might take you up on your offer 8) its lookin like i might transfer up there with my job :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Large munsterlander1 said:
Nice work i love shooting lessers as well. Those mergansers (sp) are pretty cool looking i would love to shoot one of those. How do they taste?
mergansers have a reputation of tasting horrible but if you cook em up the right way they are pretty good. go to recipes and read the merganser post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts