North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im goin to college in bottineau nd and new to ruffled grouse hunting. i spent most of saturday trying to find some. Any tips or hints where to find them around bottineau would be helpful thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
First, you need to be looking for "ruffed" grouse, not ruffled.
:p

I'm guessing that in ND the Turtle Mountain area would be your best bet. Trails through aspen forest would be a good place to start.

Just a wild *** guess though.

Canuck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that was where i was looking. i cheked a few snowmobile trails and tried some field edges where they met thick trees. i plan on just keep tryin different ones till i find some.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It gets a lot easier as the leaves come off.
Do you have a dog?

If you only have a bit of time focus on trails late in the day and early in the morning.

You'll find them...don't let the flush rattle you...shoot fast before they get away.

Our ruffie numbers are down this year but still okay. Our season starts next Friday. Me and my old lab will be out there but it is going to be hot according to the weather forecast.

Good luck!
Canuck

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I hunted them in WI I always had the best luck in young aspen groves rather then areas with large old growth trees. The thing is you get a shot at about half of them when you are busting through brush. You just have to move slow and be ready. I don't know what the hunting pressure is like there but the trails may get hunted to much to be good. Might need to get off the beaten path to find em'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.