North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Yup should bee wearing eye and hearing protection. It is the eye protection that is the biggest rule broken in any shooting sport.

At our sportsman club ya better have eye protection on when any near any of the ranges. It is a $25.00 fine the first time, $100.00 the second time and expelction after that. Not having some clown sueing the club when they were not wearing protection.

:eek: I own two inlines and no one has capped or crapped on me yet.

:D Al

· Registered
5,871 Posts
Powerfisher said:
Shouldnt you be wearing eye protection? I thought that was a basic saftey rule for shooting along with ear protection. But I guess you traditional guys are above all that. Heck even my son knows to protect his eyes and ears and he 9. Yall keep capping on in-line shooters. Personally, im sick of it. I wish yall would stop bullying folks like me cuz I bought an in-line first. But, this is your playground and I will find another thats not full of opinionated bullies.
:eek:

Again, lighten up bucko.

· Registered
49 Posts
Ok BUCKOO! Im the one that tried to let things be and yall are the ones that keep digging. If folks would just let things be then I would, but some of you just keep poking me in the side, so what, I cant explain my self or defend my self? If ya take a poke at me, IM GONNA POKE BACK! I apologised for my arrogant outburst TWO FRIGGEN times and its seems that poking fun at me is a sport no matter what I say or how much I have to spell it out for ya to be clear on my inquiries or statements. Practice what ya preech and lighten up on me. Unless your educating me and not critisizing me, I dont want to hear...er...I mean read it. Did I hurt your feelings cuz I pointed out that you dont wear eye or ear protection when ya shoot? Im suprised that you have any sight or hearing left after whitnessing your shooting habits. Nuff said. 8)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hmmm, I certainly did not mean for this thread to turn out this way.

BarebackJack, I really did not mean to put you on front street. I was just curious, I was not admonishing. I am in no posistion to admonish as I am completely new to muzzleloading as I am only really reading about it before I make a decision on which way to go. I am in awe of your weapon and like it very much. I think I can duplicate stocks like that. What I really am thinking about is making one out of Mahogany and treating it with potassium dichromate to bring out that famous Mahogany color.

· Registered
49 Posts
mjdtexan, you didnt make this happen I did when posted an arogant reply. I am the one that is sorry that your thread got tainted. I guess that two apologies arent good enough for some folks. Good luck and your idea about mahogany sounds awesome. I hope it all works out for ya. 8)

· Registered
5,871 Posts
mjdtexan said:
Hmmm, I certainly did not mean for this thread to turn out this way.

BarebackJack, I really did not mean to put you on front street. I was just curious, I was not admonishing. I am in no posistion to admonish as I am completely new to muzzleloading as I am only really reading about it before I make a decision on which way to go. I am in awe of your weapon and like it very much. I think I can duplicate stocks like that. What I really am thinking about is making one out of Mahogany and treating it with potassium dichromate to bring out that famous Mahogany color.
No harm man.

Beware though, building rifles is a double-edged sword. While your working on it, you cant wait to be shooting it, but when your shooting it, you cant wait to start building another!

Like I said, if you opt to build one yourself, you really cant go wrong with a kit for the first time. The mechanics of these old guns is really simple, and after that, its just a matter of being careful and paying attention to the little details.

Ive played around with potassium dichromate (although not on mahogany) and sulfuric acid. The stock on that rifle in the pictures was "stained" with aquafortis (nitric acid). Its really a cool process using these methods, they dont "stain" the wood, rather they chemicaly change the properties of the wood to produce the color. Its a very interesting to learn about these old methods, and than to use them.

· Registered
118 Posts
BBJ,

I am impressed. It is a good looking gun and shoots good to boot!

Aqua Fortis based stain? wow, that is a really the old way, and produces beautiful color in the wood. I have only built two kit guns, and never tried it, although I have had some guns built and the builder used it.

BTW, I have an inline too but I have not capped it yet. I inherited it from my dad after he went under last year, along with his other guns. I have wanted to do some experiments to compare the terminal ballistics of that gun with its sabotted bullets to a PRB rifle, but I just have not gotten the energy together to do it.

Powerfisher, sorry to have riled you. There are two streams of thought about MLs nowadays, you have one and I have the other; I meant for my comments to be viewed as humor, not attacks; that is why there was a smiley face accompanying the comment. Your POV is demonstrably where the market is nowadays, but I am a Neanderthal on these things. At any rate, the physics of both is the same almost no matter what you do....they both foul and stink nice.

To each his own....

YHS,
rogerw

· Registered
49 Posts
Ya know, I got a buddy from Georgia and after he says somthin that may offend somebody he says..."just kiddin". He knows hes not joking but in order to keep the piece, he says, "just kiddin" and he thinks everything is ok cuz he added a bit of humor to it. Another saying he has is when he is talkin about sombody in a derogitory way he says, "bless their heart". Again, he thinks this makes his statement acceptable cuz he adds a soft ending. So, yup, I got offended and didnt see the humor in your posts regaurdless of your smiley faces. I saw it as your were capping on me cuz I was new and not so bright. I get offended pretty easy and I know its not a good thing and my temper goes from 0-100mph in .001 seconds. (relativly speaking). Im not asking anybody to go soft on me. Call a spade a spade as far as im concerned. Get to know me a bit before you start razzing me. Then, I am more likly to take it in jest and not pipe off and go agro on anybody. If I do get out of control, just let me know in a polite mannor and I will see my error and apologise humbly. I always do. 8) :) :beer:

· Administrator
20,085 Posts
"bless their heart".
I watched Larry the Cable Guy using that line. I have been waiting for the right moment to do that just to be a goof, but it's just never worked out. Kind of like that jerk Obama, bless his heart, messing with my health care. :D Certified A1 dick head, bless his heart. :D OK, I better stop while I'm ahead. &^%*,bless his heart, the little *&^%$ bless his heart. :D Lord bless his little commie heart, and the pygmies too.

· Registered
118 Posts
Powerfisher said:
So, yup, I got offended and didnt see the humor in your posts regaurdless of your smiley faces. I saw it as your were capping on me cuz I was new and not so bright. I get offended pretty easy
Of course, that is NOT what was happening. That was mis-interpretation all along. No offense, but we (or, I, for one) do not want to walk on eggshells around here. Each of us, including you, has our own individual experiences and prejudices based on experience (likes and dislikes) as well as having respect for the choices of others....these forces are in tension, and kidding about it is a healthy way to deal with it, IMHO.

I think everyone here respects each others choices, even if they post a dissenting view.

Humor about our differences of opinion is healthy, IMHO, if we deal with it as adults (and the smiley faces are there for a reason, to communicate with....) Otherwise, it is a rocky road.

Just My Opinion :D

YHS,
rogerw

· Registered
49 Posts
rogerw,
It seems we have begun to understand eachother a bit. I wont take offence to your (or anybodies) humor and you (or anyone else) let me know if my seritonin level gets too low... :lol: 8)

Plainsman.........your alright. You turned my frown upside down, Bless Your Heart........Just Kidding! :lol: :p :beer: 8) ...I like these little charicters. Seriously, you made me laugh and I hope your healthcare is not impeded.
Now back to learning more than I want to know about MLing.

· Registered
49 Posts
I have several questions about the various bullet and sabot combos out there. I was just informed on a different website that the T/C Shockwave is made by Hornady and is basicly the same bullet as the Hornady SST. It was also sugested that I check out the Barnes Spitfire T-EZ. The barnes is an all copper bullet and the Shockwaves & Hornadys are copper jacketed over lead. So, for a 250gr. bullet is the Barnes longer to make up for the lack of dencity that the copper has? I couldnt find any specs on it. The Barns are quite $$$$$ so is it that much better of a bullet or is copper that much more by the pound than lead? I also live in CA and the DFG Handbook has some very vague and confusing restrictions on the use of lead bullets. So do I HAVE to use the Barnes in CA? If anybody can shed a bit of light on these subjects, it would be very helpfull.

· Registered
2,170 Posts

So, for a 250gr. bullet is the Barnes longer to make up for the lack of dencity that the copper has?
Here is a pretty poor picture of a 250gr Shockwave(yellow tip) and a 250gr Barnes Spitfire TMZ. You can see the Barnes is quite a bit longer, and has a nice boattail.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess CA requires you to shoot all copper, plus the Barnes are every bit as accurate as the Shockwaves, out of my CVA Kodiak Pro any way.[/quote]

· Registered
1,556 Posts
I am not certin but I believe that it is only in the condor range that copper bullets are required in CA.

A really nice bullet is the Speer gold dots. They are a copper bonded jacketed bullet. They do not carry that heffty price tag that many bullets carry. they are more in the price range of the Hornady XTP's.
The Hornady XTP I would be willing to bet has killed more ML deer than any other pistol bullet sabot combo.

Do a search on that site I sent you to, on the gold dots to read how well many people like them. It is also t6he place where there are mort Ca hunters than here.

Noslers are nice bullets but to me not $40.00 to $50.00 a hundred better.

:D Al

· Registered
49 Posts
You are correct about the Condor Range in CA. I live in the Sierras and thats where I will be hunting. No lead restrictions are in the area that I will be hunting in. After re-reading all the DFG information (I hafta re-read just about everything) It all came together. I still want to use the Barnes because from all the reading and learning I have done, I feel they are the best out there. I am a conservationalist and when I flyfish I dont use lead shot for nymphing so I would like to use copper for hunting. The Barnes are longer (thanks for the pic) and the BT is a bonus as well. I LIKE IT! So, I will order some, re-sight my peep and go from there.

Al, thanks a lot for your recomendation to the other site. Lots of folks with all kinds of diverse information. Lots of good stuff.

Thanks to all for all the info! 8)

· Registered
4 Posts
mike i live in Indiana and i have ben in muzzleloading for 30 years my first kit was a cva kentucy long rifle put 80 grain of any powder you want and still hit a quarter at 100 yards But if i had to do it all over again i would go with a hawkins very nice gun. but like most of us the clean up is the worst thing.You have to disasembale the gun and put one end in a pale of water with some sope in it and work the water up and down the barrel with the ram rod. Thats why a lot of us have gone to in-lines easyer to take care of. But there is the new blackhorn powder might not be so bad in the conventionals. I have bought the last muzzleloader i will ever buy,the new savage 10 mL ll it is the only one you can use smokeless powder in. I like it alot. you can shoot it 100 times before you have to clean it . find the right load guest like any other muzzlelaoder and you have a straght shooter with a lot more horse power.

· Registered
66 Posts
I live in indiana too and have been interested in muzzleloading for 30 years. I've read just about everything there is online about the subject. There is a whole lot more than modern inline firearms to consider. Be reenacting civil,french and indian, or revolutionary war battles or competitive shooting or just hunting small or big game. Here are a variety of links to help you decide which route to take.

http://raabs.homepage.t-online.de/inhalt.htm

http://americanhistoricservices.com/htm ... ifles.html

http://www.lrml.org/index.htm

and a couple with photos to look at

http://littlegun.be/

http://www.pbase.com/halp/slug_guns

and one with no nonsense knowledge

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.