North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so theres anew scent out there. except u have to LIGHT it and let it BURN out in the woods. :******: whoever came up with bringing a burning incense stick into dry fall woods is a complete moron. Do people actually buy into this stuff thinking they are going to have an advantage, tell u what, i got an idea, if u eat deer sh*t your body will give off the scent of a deer, and it works really good when u rip a** . that is just as believable. maybe i better patent that, someone might read this and steal my idea. :withstupid:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
get used to it... its getting worse every year. There are more people every year armed with a gun or bow and info gained from TV. Then add in the high school sports mentality and you have met the idiots I came across yesterday too :lol:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I dont think its a very new tactic. I went hunting with a guy about six or seven years ago that used one of those incense sticks. It was during the rifle season and there is rarely not snow on the ground during the rifle season there. I guess it all depends on where you are hunting and I dont think everytime, everywhere someone hunts there in dry fall woods. Im hoping the people using them are using some common sence.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Every year this sport gets more commercialized. Everyone wants to make that easy buck now days. How about going out and scouting and learning about the animal before harvesting it.

Maybe they're trying to make it easier for all those city-idiots.

Hunting should be like the Minnesota Vikings, most of the time your unsuccessful, but it's the love for the game that keeps you coming back for more.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
99.9% of the stuff out there for deer (and other) hunting is a gimic. You will always hear of situations where this stuff has worked but if there is enough of a product out there somebody is gonna have success with it many times just because they were in the right place at the right time and the product had little or nothing to do with it. I've been the route of buying a lot of this stuff and trying it and while some of it MAY have made a difference on occassion those occasions were so few the products were just more trouble than they were worth.

Scent products are almost a joke. I have had as many deer stop and check out a spot where I peed on the ground as stop and check out a doe scent. It's been proven that deer can discriminate between scents when many are combined in the air, meaning that cover up scents probably have little or at least limited effect.

Many products sold really benefit the hunter in giving them MORE CONFIDENCE. I think that often translates to a hunter having more patience and paying more attention to what he is doing and THAT is what improves his hunting opportunities.

If you think a product is working for you, good for you. As long as it keeps giving you confidence keep using it.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
deerslayer80 said:
Maybe they're trying to make it easier for all those city-idiots.
Ouch! I am a city Idiot! haha Actually I was called a "Hick" in high school. I guess that was because I drove a truck instead of a Escalade and hunted daily!

Ohh and didn't wear "cool" clothes!

I agree! It is getting crazy how far some people step out on a limb to make a buck. Can't blame them though! They are smart for making something people will buy!

Some things are a gimick others are good! Get the good with the bad!

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
I think its really funny on those hunting shows, when they have a deer already walking towards them and they blow a call or something and then turn around and say "man the horny doe grunt really made him commit" :roll:

·
Registered
97 Posts
shaggy01 said:
so theres anew scent out there. except u have to LIGHT it and let it BURN out in the woods. :ticked: whoever came up with bringing a burning incense stick into dry fall woods is a complete moron. Do people actually buy into this stuff thinking they are going to have an advantage, tell u what, i got an idea, if u eat deer sh*t your body will give off the scent of a deer, and it works really good when u rip a** . that is just as believable. maybe i better patent that, someone might read this and steal my idea. :withstupid:
I have an even better idea!!

A drinkable rink urine so that when you pee at your stand it smells just like a doe in heat and the bucks come running!

Race you to the patent office.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
aztec said:
I have an even better idea!!

A drinkable rink urine so that when you pee at your stand it smells just like a doe in heat and the bucks come running!

Race you to the patent office.
sorry aztec that will be hitting shelves oct 09, $ 9.99 for 8 oz. :D

·
Registered
857 Posts
P&Y

I didn't mean that in a bad way. I just get fed up with those guys that go on paid corp. hunts and they buy into all that gimic grap that they see on TV. Those are more then likely the guys that go into your area and mess it all up.

In my book there's no better trick in the book that beats scouting.

A couple years back I had a few pilots screw up my season. I scouted this river bottom for about two months prior to the opener of bow season, I had a big bachelor group patterned to the basically 5 min window of when they'd come out. I had the perfect set-up and on opening day I couldn't have asked for better conditions. That time came and went and i was dumb founded why they didn't show up. Needless to say two guys came walking by my stand not to long after prime time trying to sneek hunt in black wind pants. They looked up at me and said that all the deer still live in the neighboring corn fields because they didn't see any yet. I think I seen steam come out of my ears at that point.

Dakotashooter2 hit the nail on the head, I too believe that much of that stuff is a gimic and it only gives a guy/girl a bit of confidence. Still the best thing to do is do your homework, study the area and the movement and you'll increase your success ten fold.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm gonna add my :2cents: to give you guys something to think about. You guys are tough...and I like that, but often our passion can allow us to overlook things.

I just bought a pack of those sticks a couple days ago, and I don't even subscribe to using scent as an attractant....for the most part. I believe scent drags can and will increase your success by helping to slightly divert a passing deer toward your location sometimes, but aside from that I rarely use any scents other than skunk as a cover scent. I prefer to be as inconspicuous as possible and get close to the deer with proper stand placement.

Like it or not, not all hunters are as skilled as most here believe to be. I'm sure low IQ is part of the problem in some cases, as mentioned, but I suspect it's more a matter of not enough time spent really learning how to hunt. So they get their knowledge from magazines, who get their money from manufacturers, etc.

I like to believe that every "dumb" hunter out there increases my odds a little bit, just as every dumb mistake I make helps to put more big bucks on the neighbor's property :eek: . So if they want to play rap music because some study showed it appealed to a deer's sense of curiosity...let em play it. I'm guessing a setup about a mile downwind might produce ! :wink:

But why did I buy the sticks? I have killed enough big deer in my life to be perfectly happy if I never mounted another one. But I haven't seen my son kill a book deer yet. So I find I look forward to seeing that more than waiting for a buck to walk past me. So this year we went back to sharing a stand...and he smokes. He doesn't like for me to see him smoke (and I will do nothing to change that on purpose), but if he doesn't smoke he doesn't want to hunt all day. I'm not a smoker, but I understand. So I figured I would rather he smoke in the stand sporadically so we could hunt longer, and if he lit a stick when he lit a cigarette...well maybe, JUST MAYBE, that would negate SOME of the harm done by the smoke.

But for the record, the sticks are designed to be used in a container to slow the burn, which should also control sparks. Tinks sells a thing called a "smoke stack" specifically for it, but the package includes directions to make one yourself.

I have no idea how many millions (or billions?) of dollars are spent in the scent industry per year, but I am certain that some of that money is being used to protect the sport that we all hold so "deer" (pun intended). We all benefit from that money spent. Manufacturers must protect their income by supporting pro-hunting causes and by helping to elect pro-hunting candidates, etc., so try not to beat up on them too much.......

....or the guys who support them...... :wink:

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you nail two things together that have never been nailed together before, some schmuck will buy it from you...George Carlin

Del

1 - 19 of 19 Posts