North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I usually hunt snows in the fall, but I have been wanting to make the switch to hunt Canadas. A buddy and I decided that we would try and build a spread for next year and make that our start to canada goose hunting. However, I just couldn not wait. My buddy and I bought 24 of the new hardcore decoys this afternoon. We should recive them by Saturday and hoping to use them on Monday. My question is how would you set up the 24 dekes to have the best success. There is a possibility that I could get my hands on 2 dozen g and h shells as well. Should I mix decoys or just use the hardcores? This would be my first time setting up for canadas so any info on set up or other options will be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This kind of what i was thinking. #1 and 2 would be the hunter positions.
Like i said any thought would be useful.

--------------------------------x------

----------------------------- x ---- x----- x

------<<<wind--------------------x - - x ----x

-----------------------------------------x ---- x --- x

-------------------------------------------x --- x#1-- x

------<<<wind----------------------------x----- x---- x

-----------------------------------------x ---x #2---- x

---------------------------------------x ---- x -- -- x

-------------------------------------x---- ---x

· Registered
83 Posts
get the shells too. 4 dozen overall should be enough. but put the blinds closer together so you dont shoot each other and put an open area on the edge of the dekes for the geese to land. put the hardcores around the " landing zone"

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tip.
Guys I am not asking for your best kept goose hunting secrets, just some simple insight for getting the ball rolling for goose setups.
Thanks

· Registered
620 Posts
this is the best tip you can get.....

X = Dead Geese

You don't have to have the "best" decoys or 1000 of them, just be where the birds want to be and you will do just fine.

If I had 24 fullbodies I would set 6-8 of them around each blind (with two guys) and the rest behind you in groups.

· Registered
732 Posts
Booster said:
this is the best tip you can get.....

X = Dead Geese

You don't have to have the "best" decoys or 1000 of them, just be where the birds want to be and you will do just fine.

If I had 24 fullbodies I would set 6-8 of them around each blind (with two guys) and the rest behind you in groups.
agreed.
Make sure you put at least 3-4 dekes around your blind to break up your outline. I like to leave a bit of a gap in the spread for a landing zone with maybe just a few dekes in it. I set up most dekes in front of and beside me with a handful behind behind me. Like said before, location location location. If they want to be there they'll come. Just make sure you really stubble your blind well. One more key is that i see a lot of hunters putting all their dekes facing the same direction. Do not do this. The only time you see all geese facing same direction is when they are alarmed.
good luck

· Registered
530 Posts
when your hunting with smaller spread for canadians you dont want to be right in the middle, you kinda wanna bunch them up and have the turned every which way. Also have your blinds about 10 feet back away from the spread so there not conentrated on the blinds.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome tips guys. it really has me thinking about how I am going to set up for Monday. I am gettting really excited to give these decoys a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.