North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I can't make up my mind on what call to upgrade to. I've texted most of the top brand calls but can't come up with a solid decision. I was thinking of getting a traffic but also liked lynch mob calls and zink as well. And it seemed to me that Grounds calls take too much air to blow. My question is, is a traffic too high pitch for big Iowa honkers? Any help would be great. Thanks Blueman

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
No, the Traffic is not too high pitched. It's one of the 2 calls that never gets switched off of my lanyard. Most good goose hunters that you ask will tell you that high pitched calls typically work better on geese than deep sounding calls.

Which Grounds call were you blowing? I can't help but think that the tune job on it must have been goofed up, because it really shouldn't have taken anymore air than the other calls.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a littleman that is a tuned slightly incorrect and is still easier to use than any of grounds' calls. I have tried 3 or 4 of his calls and they seemed to take more air to blow.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
i think every goose hunter should have a higher pitched call such as a traffic, real thang, littleman, etc, on their lanyard. for me that call would be an RNT Dirtybird. i really really like this call. just remember, that most calls can be tuned higher or lower, less air, more air, etc. so dont give up on a call because it doesnt initially feel right. i can tune my moneymaker and dirtybird to sound exactly the same, other than the extra volume that the moneymaker produces.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Blueman said:
I have a littleman that is a tuned slightly incorrect and is still easier to use than any of grounds' calls. I have tried 3 or 4 of his calls and they seemed to take more air to blow.
Were you blowing them at a sporting goods store? Maybe they had them tuned goofy, I've run into that before. Did they have Triple Crown guts in them? Those will take more air because they come with a reed that it is curved upward to prevent sticking.

I guess it just seems weird to me, they shouldn't require more air, if anything I would say that a standard tune job on a Super mag or Pro Super Mag should take less air than a majority of other calls.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea a few of them were triple crowns. The store was sprotsman warehouse. I know every call can get high but it seemed that the traffic has an extra pitch that no other call had.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I'll just give up on the Grounds thing, I don't think we're gonna end up agreeing :D

The Traffic certainly does have a high pitch, and more importantly it has volume. Those things can scream, hence the name Traffic. Like I said, I have a lot of calls, and the Traffic is always one that goes to the field with me.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The best advice I can give is to pick a call and stick with it, if you're just starting out. If you're buying a high end call they're all good. It really comes down to personal preference. They all blow a little different so I'd recommend sticking with one to learn on...and then maybe trying different calls out later when you're proficient enough to really tell the differences.

The traffic is a great call and I'd say one of it's strong points is it's range. If that's the one you like the best then I'd go with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I think i've got to try all the calls again to help make up my mind. I know what I'm looking for better than the last time I blew a varitey of calls. Guess I'm gonna have to try ground calls again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't get to wrapped in the brand or cost of a call. If you are on the right location/field that the geese have been comfortable to come into to feed, I have found after years of hunting that the type/sound/price of a the call doesn't realy mean much and that it doesn't really matter what type of call you use. I have had the best success to date with a simple $11 plastic tube call. I know for a fact that the type of call doesn't matter as much as some would love to have you believe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.