North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Starting out I would say pick up some Real-Geese Silos and for a call a big river or a short reed slammer if you want to go into a shortreed. The foiles meatgrinder has had some great reviews and you could pick one of them up for around $60. Advice on decoys though - buy quality now and you will save money once you get really serious, because you'll laready have a good start with some quality stuff and you won't need to worry about 'stepping up' your spread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I already had some silos. i have a short reed call its a lohman. i called some geese in today with it but i think i should step up to a better call.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a couple more questions.

is the smh worth the extra $ over the meat grinder. can u give me some advantages and disadvantages.

can you shoot cranes. when i was scouting today i saw about 150 geese and about 20 cranes in the same field.

when i was listening the only talk i heard from the geese was a high pitch cluck. i can do the cluck on my call. what other calls should i learn

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check with your state regulations book for info, on shooting the cranes, I wondered the same thing here cause our land has a TON of cranes on it, but we are not aloud to shoot them.

When you want to step up for some more goose decoys, carrylite fullbodies are awesome, and they are fragile like alot of others. I would go with the meatgrinder until you master it and get really good at the short reed, then maybe try out some other spendier short reeds at shows and stores to see which ones fit you! Good luck with the season.

·
Registered
133 Posts
as far as calls- Eastern Shorty by Sean Mann. great call and comes with a instruction tape that tells you how to make all the sounds of a canada goose. great call (i called in 6 canadians this weekend with out a single decoy) haha too bad it wasnt season. but like any other goose call PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...when ur finished PRACTICE SOME MORE!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I think the SMH is a GREAT call and it's very easy to blow and get the breaks you need to make all the sounds of a goose. I too, was in the same situation with calls. I started out cheap and didn't get the sounds I needed from those calls. I finally went for the call I wanted and put in many, many hours of practice and it's paid off big time.

Just be sure to PRACTICE!

·
Registered
132 Posts
For decoys I would go with some shells or some cheap fullbodies. I suggests getting a video on goose calling it will help alot, and learn about backpressure.

·
Registered
755 Posts
you need a big river long honker that is composite, not the wood one, and a haydels h-81 honker, they sound awesome, ive used them, and you cant go wrong with the rag windsocks, i have 150, they take a while to set up, but they are cheap, they are compact, lightweight, and easy to put into the field, plus, they move, and you need movement in your spread, those videos do help, but the tape that comes with the long honker helps the most

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
i would start out with a good call from the beginning if you have the money. the progression of your calling skills will go a lot better. a good call to start out with is the tim grounds polycarb super mag. great sounding call for about 50 bucks(only 25 more than the long honker).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts