North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am brand new to this site, and to fishing (since I was a child). We have a house on Lake Arrowhead in Socal, and I was told that it's stocked well with Trout. I am dying to fish for trout. We have been going to Big Bear lake with friends who know and they catch Carp and catfish by cooler fulls, no big deal, but I want trout. ;)

I have been looking into it. This will probably be off the dock, in a cove-type area where it's shallow but then breaks and gets deep past the docks. We have a boat but I dont know if I am ready for that yet.

Talked to someone I met at a party and here is what he recommended: #16/18 treble hook on a 2lb line, for 2-3', then a swing? and a 1/4 oz egg sinker on a 4-4 lb line. Light or Ultra light rod. Berkley (?) power bait chunky cheese or orange.

So the help I need is this.

1. How does that setup sound, what would you do differently?

2. What to buy, what are the good rods and other stuff, like line and hooks? How much do I need? I dont want to spend $$s so what's a good and yet not-too-expensive setup?

Any help is appreciated. Hope to learn a ton.
Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
132 Posts
I lived in Phoenix for a while and that sounds just like the rigs I would use for the stockers down there. First on the main line slide on a 1/4oz egg sinker (or any sliding sinker). Then tie on a small swivel, to the other end of the swivel tie on a length of 2-4lb mono (I like mono as it floats better). Then tie on a small trebel hook. I used to vary the length of the mono depending on how far off bottom the fish were cruzing. For bait I liked the floating powerbaits. Just gob on a ball just slightly larger than the hook and make sure the hook is completly covered and that it is large enough to float the hook.

I would also use just a plain bobber with a mealworm on a plain aberdeen style hook and set it about 2'-4' deep. This worked really well early in the morning and late in the afternoon.

For rods I would go with a light power - medium fast action rod about 6.5' long. I like the longer rods so I can cast a little bit further. But if you are fishing in an area with a lot of brush near shore, you could go with a shorter rod.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.