North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a Good scope for a 30 .06. I know I like 4-16x50 scopes. But what brands and models are good ones to look at for putting on a 30 .06?

I went antelope hunting this past week with a friend and I borrowed his 30 .06 with a 4-9x40 scope. I didn't really like the using 4-9x40 scope.

Steve

P.S. I did get my first two antelope! :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
Steve: Do you have a budget? There are many fine scopes of the type that you like. Leupold, Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss, Burris, Kahles, Sightron and quite a few others, all make them. Some of them will set you back quite a few dollars.
How much do you want to spend?
Pete

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can see no reason to go with such high power for a 30 06 or any other big game rig.A 2-7 has more than you'll ever need in open country and not so much to work against you in heavy cover.That said there's a ton of quality scopes to choose from.I use Leupolds VX1 2-7 on my 7x57mm and their VXII 1-4 on my .50 cal ML.Both have performed great in all kinds of nasty weathers.Nikon has some real nice ones as well.If you've got the beans Swarovski is as good as it gets.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Look at the Zeiss Conquest, crystal clear, great in low light. You can't buy a better scope for the price. If money isn't an issue, get a Swarovski, best on the market IMO.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If your on a budget, I have had wonderful luck with my Alaskan Guide scope from Cabelas. I think it is comparable to the middle of the line Leupolds.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
4X4, I am right with you. I don't like the 3-9X40 scopes I have used in the past. I have 2 4.5-14 and a 6.5-20 Leupold VXIIIs that I have had very good luck with. $600-$800. I have also had very good luck with my $200 Barska Tactical and have been very impressed with my $300 Konuspro M30 scope. They all seem to work great for what I need them to do no matter what the price. I may not "need" the extra magnification, but I sure do like it.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Check out Scheels brand scopes, just purchased my seventh one tonight. Sooner or later I will have them on all my rifles. Lifetime warranty, exchange at the counter(no sending it in and waiting), great eye relief with a crisp veiw; for the price they sell a very good scope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been looking at the Shepherd scopes. Google "shepherd scopes" and read up on them. Interesting idea, especially for long distant shooting. Not to much more than a Leupold, which is my favorite brand. Made in the USA. I have 6 Leupolds.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
maranatha77, have you looked through the Shepherd scopes? They are clear, but I found that the reticule is a bit busy and was too distracting for me. I like the concept, but also for the load the reticule was set for was not the load that shot well in my rifle. The same happened with a Springfield scope that I had. I now have a Burris with the balisti-plex that I do like. I load what shoots best in my rifle and figure the range for each tic. It works well and was cheaper than both the others.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
nesika308, I am glad you like that nikon. Kinda interesting to see some one with a most likely high dollar custom rifle with a supposedly "lower class" scope on it. I see you have a zeiss on the other custom you have posted. Nice to see pix that show you don't need a $1000+ scope to have a rifle that shoots well. I do have to say I was a little upset when I got my new Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14X40 for my 25-06 Encore barrel and found out it was made in the Philippines, from now on it is American made only for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The rifle with the Zeiss belongs to board member BassNman. I helped him get them posted. I spent 10 years planning, a year or so tracking down parts & 18 months at the gunsmiths. (who I am convinced is the best gunsmith that no one ever heard of)

I picked each part not by price or name or what the outdoor writers say about them. I picked them because my reseach told me they belonged in this project

This rifle was shooting 5 shot 1/2" groups with hunting bullets during the break-in

Nesika Bay "T" 1.350 Diameter with the following options: Right bolt, Right port, Repeater cut, Nesika recoil plate, Mag box, Mag spring, Follower, Plunger Ejector, Drop bolt & Spiral fluted Bolt

SS Trigger Guard and Jewell HSTVR Trigger

.308 Shilen Select Match SS #5 Silhouette #5 1/2 weight. 25" length, 10 twist, Match 11 degree crown, Match grade chamber with tight neck .335" (standard neck is .346").

Stock: AAA American Walnut, Stainless Steel Pillar bedded, Glassed and free floated, Fagen Custom Rollover Varmiter, Pachmayr Decellerator Pad & Hand made Stainless Steel Inletted Swivel Studs

Nikon Titanium 5.5 16 AO, Talley SS Rings and SS Talley bases

I am convinced Nikon scope are among the elite in quility and clearness but don't tell them or they may raise there prices before I get all mine changed out. Yeah mine was made in Japan which was a letdown to a guy who wants the USA to close its borders, but it was the clearest to my eye and for this project the wife gave the blank check approval so I never went mid range to save a couple of bucks

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
wife gave the blank check approval so I never went mid range to save a couple of bucks
Any chance you can get her to call my wife and get her on that line of thinking???

Sounds like one heck of a rifle, looks beautiful too.

Sorry about the mix up on the other rifle, I didn't read it closely enough.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Nikon all the way. I can't seem to find a post I posted here reagarding objective field testing I did with some mid-range optics. Including Leuopld, Nikon, Cabelas brand, and Bushnell. Long story short, Nikon kicked butt. Nikon Monarch and Monarch Gold all the way!

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I have owned a few Nikon scopes, survey instruments, and one camera. There was not a one I was happy with. It may be my bad luck with Nikon, but I will not buy another item with that name on it. I have said that before and then bought another and kicked myself for it. Looking through the Monarch scopes they are very clear. The same went for the survey instruments that I had, but in short time they all went downhill. Optics became fuzzy at the edges within no time. Looking through the new scopes they are very nice, but I can't get myself to make that mistake again. I know a few people that think they are great and I just about bought a Monarch 6.5-20 for my new AR until I found out that it was 1/8" clicks instead of 1/4". My last 1/8" adjustment Nikon was nowhere near 1/8" clicks like they claimed. Optics were good, but the internal adjustment was very poor.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Longshot said:
I have owned a few Nikon scopes, survey instruments, and one camera. There was not a one I was happy with. It may be my bad luck with Nikon, but I will not buy another item with that name on it. I have said that before and then bought another and kicked myself for it. Looking through the Monarch scopes they are very clear. The same went for the survey instruments that I had, but in short time they all went downhill. Optics became fuzzy at the edges within no time. Looking through the new scopes they are very nice, but I can't get myself to make that mistake again. I know a few people that think they are great and I just about bought a Monarch 6.5-20 for my new AR until I found out that it was 1/8" clicks instead of 1/4". My last 1/8" adjustment Nikon was nowhere near 1/8" clicks like they claimed. Optics were good, but the internal adjustment was very poor.
Hope I don't have that bad luck. I've had nothing but great luck on my optics so far. They are all over 5 years old. Maybe like all companies, they make quality until they get a great rep. and then they start cost cutting. I'd sure hate to see that happen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.