North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that someone would be so kind to help a couple of wisconsinites locating some duck hunting locations near the devils lake area. We are also willing to check out some other locations other than Devils Lake if someone points us in such a direction. We are planning on heading to ND on 11/1/08 for 3 days or so...

Some advice from locals or others with experience hunting in this area would be appreciated. FYI- My brother and I are avid duck hunters here in Wisconsin... We also come from a very small town in NW Wisconsin and are very familiar with the challenges of out of state hunters. With that said we respect land owners and the Natural Resources that ND has to offer and hope we can reach out to someone who may want to lend some advice for our trip which we are very much looking forward too.

Thanks in advance
Paul

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Code:
We recommend that new visitors to the site use the search box on the home page when first looking for information on areas in ND (click here (see upper left side). Almost every question has been asked before, and Google has archived every one of the threads.

We also have 2 fantastic threads full of information on exactly what you're looking for including water conditions, restrictions, maps, etc:

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=27399
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=15445

And a great article on understanding waterfowling in the Midwest, see the link below:

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/ducktips.php

Best of luck on your trip.

We ask that other forum members please keep any negative comments to themselves and give the new members a chance to enjoy the site.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Swater and Rude,

I am not sure I see the value in your posts. I guy asks for help in the most respectful way possible and you stick it to him. The only thing that does is stir the soup....

Paul,

Honestly you are not going to get much help in a highly competitive area like DLake. Too many guys and not enought spots... Here is the best advice I can give you.
1) Scout your tail off and then scout some more
2) eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at the local eatery's and talk to every farmer & local you can (they are extremely helpful)

Good luck

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am all for humor, especially on this topic - I am just not sure if Paul ( or the next person who comes along) will see it that way....

·
Registered
640 Posts
There's not a whole lot more to say. Obviously, there will be birds in the area. Maybe a lot, maybe a few. Drive around and scout. A lot. Look for harvested corn (if any is down by then) near water. Guys aren't going to give you their spots. Grab a PLOTS map when you get here or look online at one if you want to look for public land to hunt.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
First off.....welcome to the site polarpaul.

Second, that kind of exact info that you asked for is generally frowned upon here. Its called internet scouting, and you can get your a** chewed for it.

Third, good luck. DL hunter numbers are WAYYYY up this year. Im from there originaly, its where I do all my waterfowling. All I can say is, drive drive drive, than drive some more. Competition is tough this year in that area, VERY tough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could very easily end up 100 miles from DL before finding what you want. Did you buy the whole state lic?

You may spend 1 day on the road for every one day you hunt. Don't be too proud to jump shoot a few potholes while scouting. Make sure you do it legally. You could easily pick up a limit that way.

Ask nicely and don't mention that you support DU, you would have a 50% of making an enemy. Take that from expernce.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Chester said:
Don't be too proud to jump shoot a few potholes while scouting. Make sure you do it legally. You could easily pick up a limit that way.
Disregard this.

There aint to many "potholes" this year. Its pretty dry and even the roosts may look like a "pothole". If you dont know the area well, the "pothole" your jumping may just be a roost. And youll not only be hurting yourself but alot of other guys.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My best advice paul would be to try a different forum or other source of information. As you can see this site has way too many views from too many characters to get a simple answer.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Lardy said:
My best advice paul would be to try a different forum or other source of information. As you can see this site has way too many views from too many characters to get a simple answer.
Im sure theres some guys on sotaoutdoors.com that will be more than happy to help ya.

After all, their hunts over and their back in the land of 10,000 sloughs, err, lakes. :D

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Lardy said:
Put yourself in our shoes... I am guessing you fish... or try to in Minn. I say he I am coming to xxx lake.... where is a good spot to go? I am guessing you aren't going to be like well... go to the blue cabin here, then go out 150 yards graph 20 feet and fish! Are you?

This is about as similar as I can get.

I guess there is record amounts of water in Sota! I would hit that up!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Lardy said:
You MN guys are too funny. Just recently on a MN hunting forum some guy asked for information about a spot and was blasted for internet scouting. But when somebody asks for information about spot in ND and gets blasted, we're all a bunch of pricks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As you can tell by my location I am a non-resident myself. I have been making yearly trips to your great state for so many years i can't count them anymore. I have been in their shoes, so i know what it's like. Everyone complains on here how irresponsible and rude so many of the "NR's" are (and for good reason, because alot of them are) but this is a great place to educate people on good hunting ethics. There alot of young people that look at this site, and look at this site for info on coming out to NoDak! We are all here for the same reason, to have a great time hunting, spending time with freinds and family, and lets not forget that. Instead of jumping on every "NR" that comes on here, actually help them a little bit, don't give em' locations, but teach them the proper techniques, and ways to go afield! Encourage them to ask for permission, whether it's posted or not. We are in your state, and you guys deserve our respect, so let's teach them how to respect you guys and your land!

...of course thats just my opinion...I could be wrong!

:beer:

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
The thing is many of the people who want the full scouting report contribute nothing in return. They just want some quick answers so they know where to go to shoot their limit. If a person was really interested in this site they would have read the rules and read other post to get a feel of what to ask and how to ask it.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
fubar said:
here we go.... :eyeroll: every time...dont you guys ever get tired of driving people away from this site?
When you spend years and LOTS of gas $$ learning the different landscapes and developing friendships with people in different areas, its not really important to me telling someone how/where to do things that I figured out through effort.

Many of these people get friendly PM's trying to give some help. Just gets old when people want something for nothing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts