North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, next year I'll be moving out to ND and I was wondering what areas of the state would hold some divers. I'm not terribly familiar with hunting anything but wooded lakes with wild rice for divers being I'm from MN lol. I'm not trying to do any 'internet scouting' just curious on where to start once I get there. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
You'll find divers throughout the duck range of the state. Just look for big water.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahaha most definitely 8) thanks for the responses, i'm just curious. i love hunting divers, and its guna be a bit different next year but i'll make it work out. i know ND has more potholes than anything, do you find much for divers on larger ponds? how big of a boat would i need to hunt divers out there? i was thinkin of getting a 14 footer or so. thanks again

·
Registered
68 Posts
We'll be hunting them here over the next couple of weekends to break up the traditional field hunt of the rest of waterfowl. We've been hunting them for years on a point that sticks out into big water. Big enough so that you don't 'bust a roost'. The divers fly back and forth over that point all day but really heavy in the early mornings.

Over the years we've shot bluebills, cans, mergansers, buffles etc this way. They usually fly in groups of 5 or so right over that point. We don't even use decoys or a boat. So I'd say look for bigger water with land jutting out into one side of it far enough that the ducks will fly over it instead of around it. You'll sometimes be able to see the big rafts of divers floating way out. Once you find them look for your point. If you get that combo to work out for you, hang on to your hat because those divers come by hot and low!! Good luck and I hope this helps!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nd is Different than any other state i have hunted. You can get divers off of knee deep ponds were in minnesota you would never shoot them off of. You will figure it out fast just do your homework and scouting you will have success.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts