North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, on opening day, we shot these ducks: http://ml052.k12.sd.us/ducks.htm

We had a long debate in the field about what types of ducks they are/were. Last night, while scouting for next weekend's opener, I noticed several of the same. What are they?

I am going to say juvy Redheads. But some good points have been made for ringbills.

What do you guys think? With hunter's choice, I don't want to be wrong.

Sidenote** - I took these pictures into GFP and different people had different opinions there as well.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The middle one in the group shot looks like a canny to me. The head doesn't seem rounded enough to be a redhead. The others look like they are reds, but the middle one looks like it's probably a canvasback. Maybe it's just the angle of it, though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
one thing to be aware of is how young pintail and young redheads do look alike...& this could be a hunters choice issue

I see the 3 as RH, likely a RH; but could be a young hen pintail, RH...

But I'd have to be in person to make my final call on the middle bird, As I'd need to see the bill.

Usually I add my lecture about a least being able to ID a bird in the hand :lol:

·
Registered
210 Posts
NDJ said:
one thing to be aware of is how young pintail and young redheads do look alike...& this could be a hunters choice issue

I see the 3 as RH, likely a RH; but could be a young hen pintail, RH...

But I'd have to be in person to make my final call on the middle bird, As I'd need to see the bill.

Usually I add my lecture about a least being able to ID a bird in the hand :lol:
Yeah you're right...in the hand is the absolute ID test, and it is hard to tell from pictures...the one could be a pin.

As far as ID'ing birds on the wing, yes it's very important to get proficient at this, and you should at a minimum be able to rule out certain species such as Cans, hen mallards, etc. on the wing before you pull the trigger. But on the other hand I don't care what anyone says, it is difficult at times, especially with early season birds like this. Even after doing this for so long I still "blink" on occasion :eek: In the hand should not be an issue though (not looking at pictures).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't see any way in the world you can get pintail out of that! Look at the leg placement on the body, divers legs are near the very bottom of the body just like those birds.

·
Registered
210 Posts
xcallmaker said:
Don't see any way in the world you can get pintail out of that! Look at the leg placement on the body, divers legs are near the very bottom of the body just like those birds.
yeah good point about leg placement...way too far back. 'kay, like I said the first time, all redheads.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
goosehunternd said:
I thought we werent suposed to shoot things if we didnt know what they were, kinda pre-school isnt it??
That's true, unless its very early in the year, and all ducks look almost the same. It took us a while to identify a drake mallard we shot after thinking it was a hen we finally realized it was a drake he had barely any plumage

·
Registered
440 Posts
:-? I see 3 redheads varying in age/sex- And lets fight about bird ID and ethics now cuz thats what forums are all about, lol :p ... focus on the topic, not your personal opinions on ethics, etc... I have a degree in wildlife mgt. and I vote all 3 are redheads :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.