North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the original thread on the " Shoot-thru netting" .. I decided to take one of my "concurrent season" rifle doe tags too find out myself. Saturday afternoon i sat in one of the blinds i hunt , @ about 7:10 deer were moving i had about 4 does and a few fauns come in. I waited until a yearling came into the food plot. At 18 yards " via rangefinder " with the netting up i shot after the arrow passed right threw the netting , i noticed that the fletching went out of spiral. the arrow went 5 yards to the right of the deer & snubbed out in the ground. Now keep in mind i shoot 4-5 times a week , have harvested 7 deer by bow & i shoot a Copper John Dead Nuts 2 which has a level. So i have ruled out "my" error. I know that each experience is different , this is mine!!!! I personally will never shoot out of the netting in a ground blind. I hope that some of communist that are on this site let me have my opinion !!! jaimbo

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Am I one of the Marxist?? :roll: :lol:

Sorry to hear about your experience. Now hopefully Mike (P&Y) will see this thread :lol:

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
USSapper said:

Sorry to hear about your experience. Now hopefully Mike (P&Y) will see this thread :lol:
I have... But I believe what I see! And I have seen great results.

I still am lost on this!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use a ground blind every spring for turkey hunting with shoot through mesh. I had great results shooting through mine for the last four years. I havent missed yet. And I shoot Grim Reaper razor tips expandables through mine. A turkey is a pretty small target. Ive shot them anywhere from 6 yards to 20 yards and have missed yet. Knock on wood. But I also shoot feathers and not vanes dont know if that really matters though. Sorry to hear about your luck! Whoops I lied last spring I shot vanes. And it still worked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My arrow length is 32.5" . I have been researching this all day , apparently longer arrows are more likely 2 create back spin and with penatration of any sort it is likely to throw off flight. I shoot @ 60 lbs and with the math , my length vs excelleration gives me an " wobbly " flight pattern.. jaimbo

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Id personally never shoot through the netting. At close ranges I dont think it matters much but im not going to risk it. My buddy shot his goat this year through the netting, two shots both of which were way off their mark. Hes a good shot, dont know if it was nerves or the netting, but I wasnt impressed.

We take great pains to not hit twigs, grass, etc when we make a shot, but than dont bat an eye at shooting through the mesh. :-?

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
barebackjack said:
Id personally never shoot through the netting. At close ranges I dont think it matters much but im not going to risk it. My buddy shot his goat this year through the netting, two shots both of which were way off their mark. Hes a good shot, dont know if it was nerves or the netting, but I wasnt impressed.

We take great pains to not hit twigs, grass, etc when we make a shot, but than dont bat an eye at shooting through the mesh. :-?
I think we should all do a little test... I was just at Sportsmans and talking to a buddy that works there about this... He had his blind in back, so we tried it in the back there. We even set up paper 5 yards after the netting to see if that showed anything...... NOTHING!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Im not calling ya a liar PY, just sayin I personally wont risk it.

The other thing I dont like about the mesh (found this out hunting outta my buddies matrix in the badlands), is its DARN hard to see through in low light conditions. I had several goats at 20 yards just after sunset, if I had wanted to shoot them (thru the net) I wouldnt have been able to just because I could hardly see them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have shot many different broadheads through the mesh on double bull blinds and have never had any issues out to 70 yards. Magnus Stingers, Muzzy Mx3, rocket steel head. I harvested a buck on the Double Bull video at 30 yards shooting through the mesh. There might be issues if your bow isn't quite in tune, if the arrow comes out a little sideways I could see how it affects it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
barebackjack said:
Im not calling ya a liar PY, just sayin I personally wont risk it.

The other thing I dont like about the mesh (found this out hunting outta my buddies matrix in the badlands), is its DARN hard to see through in low light conditions. I had several goats at 20 yards just after sunset, if I had wanted to shoot them (thru the net) I wouldnt have been able to just because I could hardly see them.
you dont have to have the nets down for goats though...or mulies or turkeys for that matter. it probably helps, but whitetails are the only species afraid of the "black hole effect" that having the nets up creates. i agree with you 100% though that it blocks out a hell of a lot of light. the first time i hunted deer out of my matrix i couldnt believe how light out it was still when i poked my head out of the blind, getting ready to pack it in for the night.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
hunt4P&Y said:
USSapper said:

I still am lost on this!
Mike how can you even tell if the mesh affects your shots??? Ive heard how you're all over the place when practicing :lol: If anything it steers your arrows closer to the target

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
USSapper said:
hunt4P&Y said:
USSapper said:

I still am lost on this!
Mike how can you even tell if the mesh affects your shots??? Ive heard how you're all over the place when practicing :lol: If anything it steers your arrows closer to the target
Hey! You weren't suppost to say anything!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
The "black hole" effect is the windows. You have a camo blind, which is dark inside, but a open port to shoot through, which creates a big black blob. Think of a house thats dark inside with a window open, kind of sticks out. Thats why double bull and alot of others use the netting now, it does away with having that black open window. Double bull also uses black window covers now as they think its better to go from black to black rather than camo to black, should you have to open a shooting port.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Doesn't the camo netting get rid of a problem like that? On the blind my buddy has his netting camo matches the sides of the blind. Does the black hole still show up? I have only seen this blind once, and it was about 2200 hours so not much for light.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Yes it does. But on older styles (like the DB T5) they didnt have netting. Just a cloth window cover that you could put up or take down. When you took it down, from the outside, you saw the "black blob".

I personally dont like the netting, personally dont like blinds much. I dont like being able to not see 360, I get kind of cagey in a blind. The netting makes it difficult to see in low light conditions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.