North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post this picture. It is of my 10, now 11 year old son and his first coyote. He shot it in the Badlands this past fall during the ND Deer season. It was called up to about 40 yards.

Boy was I a proud Dad!

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey,
That sure is a nice coyote. I am 14 and i have never shot at coyote yet. I am hoping to get into it more. what size gun does your son use? i recently got a 22-250 for christmas. Good luck and tell your son nice shooting! :sniper:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is shooting a Marlin Youth Model 22 rimfire with a 4X scope. He can consistantly hit targets out to around 50 yards with that rifle!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Nice pic. TRAPPER62!! Good to see him getting a taste of it young!!
He's probably pretty good with the 22!!!Especially out foxing a fox!!
:sniper: Get'm all.....

Mav...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
browningboy - there are as many different calibers as there are opinions/preferences. Personnally I would say a 223 or 22-250, neither have any recoil, my son in the picture has even shot the 223.

That coyote was taken on public land- National Grasslands and it was standing still. With the small caliber he was shooting, a running shot would just result in a cripple. In this situation there was no option but a standing shot!

·
Registered
255 Posts
i no a guy who shot a 35 puonder
i am gonna do some coyote huntin on his land
i am not that smart about coyotes hunting

is there a lottery?

·
Registered
426 Posts
GB3;
Tell me about it! I enjoy reading all the new posts everyone suybmits but come on BB give your keybord a break!!!! At least a week!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey he's just trying to learn about hunting give him a break, we all have questions, i know people that have been hunting for 50 years and still ahev questions. so since we are on coyote hunting questions, I have never been coyote hunting (i mostly hunt birds an deer) what do most people do with they're coyotes. i know some people that just throw them out and i personally think thats morally wrong.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yea face man give him a break!!!! i mean sure i went out and learned all my info on my own but its ok to ask questions!!!!!! thats what were here for man!!!!! hey >browningboy< ask all u want!!!!!!! :sniper:

·
Registered
69 Posts
hey good for your son. it is a nice coyote.

i use a 223 on coyote but it all depends on how you want to hunt them any gun will work. some wil put big holes, others little, some none.

browningboy ask all u want it is the best way to find out things. if i can help i will try. i have shot a couple coyotes and know someways to hunt them but i no expert. :sniper:

dont give the kid a hard time face would u like it if u asked a question and people put u down for it. he isn't hurting anyone he just is tring to become a better hunter

·
Registered
40 Posts
dude y do u think we shouldnt post??? halve of us now just as much as yall!!! a buntch of u guys jumped on me for cussin and told me that i need to respect yall!!!! and i do now and now yall dont respect us!!!! me or varminter kid!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
hey man come on were just sticking up for ourselfs. you might know some more stuff and thats great mayb someone will teach me somthing but to put me or someone else down cus were young is not right. i have just as much right as a person and a hunter to post whatever i please.

why r u saying they should raise the age do u really think because i am 15 and u are however old u r means ur better them me or lil_lee_hunter_7mm or who ever else is over 13.???????

dude i am not tring to raise a fuss i am just saying as a fellow hunter don't stariotype me because i am younger. i might be able to give u some help and i hope u can give me some. when i hunt with whoever i am they don't look down upon me because i am younger, yet try to teach me more. i may be young but i am not dumb. and i have just as much right to post somthing as u doo buddy.

:sniper:

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
That's a great 'yote! The picture, as usual is worth 1000 words, and details the excitement and fulfillment in your son's heart. I am sure your smile was 10 times as wide!

And keep it up! The less of those puppies walking around, the better pheasant hunting will be next year.

Kudos to you and your boy. Job well done!

---EDIT---
As for this elitist crap...knock it off! Let me say, that I am 25, and never EVER hunted before last year. It has been an incredible baptism by fire for me, and without the advice of seasoned and veteran hunters, in person, in articles, on the web or through email, I wouldn't know half as much as I know now, and I would have REALLY been clueless. I am thankful for all of the older, wiser hunters I have been out in the field with and spoken with through this medium and others during the past 16 months and for their helpful hints.

Whether a person is 12, or 25, or 85, pay them some courtesy and steer them in the right direction...no one is hurt from your advice...in fact, the more we teach others (READ: YOUNG HUNTERS), the more ammo we have against antis and ignorance the better, and the more we all will benefit from the next generation of outdoors enthusiasts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts