North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a knight muzzleloader and i was wondering how often you are supposed to change the breech plug on a muzzleloader? How can you tell when one needs changed, what are the signs of a bad breechplug?

· Registered
88 Posts
I have two Knight Disc Rifles. Both are probably first year models, which use the older orange discs. I'v never changed breech plugs. Unless a plug was severly rusted, the threads were stripped, or the plug was frozen ,then damaged when removed, or lost, why would one want to replace it?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats kinda what i thought but wasnt sure, thanks for your reply. I too have the original disc rifle and with it being 14 years old i wasnt sure if i needed to replace the plug or not. Them disc rifles are deer slaying machines!

· Registered
88 Posts
I replaced the original bolt and breech plug on one rifle, with a conversion kit that allows me to shoot shotgun primers without the discs. It was a pain, because the bolt was designed for the newer disc rifles and had to be hand filed to fit the older receiver. The end result was a system that produced much less blowback, and more consistantly reliable ignition. It was like a whole new rifle and much more enjoyable to hunt with. There was nothing wrong with the old bolt and breech plug, I just needed a change. Both Knights are very accurate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.