Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of track is this?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I checked on the puter it looks like a mountain lion track. I took this pic yesterday on my phone cam. Come on tell me what you think!!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Lion. Nice and round.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope but Sturgis SD is full of them in August every year... :lol:

I always wondered when i would see a track, I put on alot of miles walking... all I can anyway. :)

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
buckseye said:
What kind of track is this?

Ok, here goes....hope you still love me afterwards!

Looking at the pic's you can tell that it had rained within a fairly recent period of time the dimpled the sand with the tops of the rocks washed clean tells me that the rain was soft at the end, maybe a drizzle. The sand still looks 'thick' or wet so it has not warmed up yet so the walk was probably in the morning. Depends on where you are and the temp/wind/exposure/ etc. etc. etc. I would guess early morning track as a first guess.

The edges of the tracks are still sharp with very little crumbling of the edges except for the larger of the particles..also if you look close enough in the third photo with the stick, the impression is still in the top of the ridge...like a stem on a 4 leaf clover...this is where I start to see something different. The edges of the outline of the stick are crisp.

There is an abnormaly large inprint of a "pad" coming straight down from the bottom of the track that is fairly elongated. You can tell that it is the bottom of the track because the front 'pad' marks are deeper which is consistant with a forward motion. The animal was moving at a walk or slower, hard to tell with out the follow on tracks.

That part of the 'pad' coming down from the bottom/back of the track has me curious and I am still researching...I would love to be out there seeing this myself!

I would also guess fairly smaller 'cat' as the dollar bill is 6" to 6 1/4" in length and the 'head' of Washington is 1" across to include the hair/wig...so with all that being said.....

I would say 3 to 3.5" track..about 3 or 4 fingers wide and if a cat prabably a three year old and if I had to really let it out there I would say that it was a female from the wear of the pads that I see.

Hope this helps and that I am close enough.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep you are correct on all acounts... kind of exciting to me!!

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
buckseye

If the following photo will help you this is the cast of a lion track that my uncle found on his land in Central ND. It was verified by a biologist in Bemidji MN. For what it's worth the distance from the crook of my thumb and finger is 3.5" to the thumb tip and 5.5" to the index tip.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think we all know it's a cat but for some stupid reason we want some "expert" to tell us we are correct... Our need of an expert is part of the beating down and down breeding of America in my opinion. 100 years ago people were confident in what they saw and believed.... where did we get lost?

Here kitty kitty... :sniper:

·
Registered
338 Posts
If it was anything else it would have surely left some claw marks. Some other things to consider would be that the heal of a cat track has three lobes compared to two on canines. I can't really tell by the picture about the heel of the track, it looks like it dug in more with its toes. Also the two middle toes tend to line up evenly on a canine track while a cat track would look slightly staggered.In the third picture you can see one of the two middle toes looks slightly longer. The roundness of the track is also a pretty good sign. I would agree with everyone elses decision. Better get out there soon and see if you can call him. Know anyone that has hounds?

·
Registered
233 Posts
lol trophy.....that trophy MAY weigh 100lb and be a hair bigger than a labrador

its proven that you can fill a quota without reaching the female sub qouta first by using Hounds rather than calling. Once the female subquota is met the seasons over till next year.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Doogie said:
lol trophy.....that trophy MAY weigh 100lb and be a hair bigger than a labrador

its proven that you can fill a quota without reaching the female sub qouta first by using Hounds rather than calling. Once the female subquota is met the seasons over till next year.
Is that SD? As far as I know, we don't have a female subquota here in ND.

·
Registered
233 Posts
oops my bad just looked at the ND fish and game website the western half of ND has a quota of 8 with no female subqouta I thought it did.

pretty much every State that has mountain lions now has a female subquota in place I just assumed my bad

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tracks are 31 inches apart. how big is that???

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
buckseye said:
tracks are 31 inches apart. how big is that???
The third picture you have here with the elongated pad's inprint at the back is the front foot of the cat. The stride that you are mentioning is 31" if at a walk could very well be a Bobcat too and not a M.L.

Too hard to tell.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.