North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about two dozen full bodies that I've been using for most the season, and last week I went out and bought another dozen shells. I took em all out on saturday and set the decoys up so that the full bodies and shells weren't mixed, and my results were horrible. I had about 8-10 smaller flocks come in and every single one of them would just pass by out of shooting range. I figured it was the set up I had but I didn't know how to fix it. Whats the best way to set up shells with full bodies? Are you supposed to mix them, or is there just a specific way to set up shells in general. I had a few on stakes but most just sitting on the ground. Any advice would be awesome.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You should have no problem putting shells with your full bodies. Set your full bodies around the outside of the perimeter that makes your landing zone so that is what the birds see when they are low and coming in. Last year we hunted with a mix of 2 dozen full bodies and 2 dozen shells with decent results.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That will work fine. Especially late in the year you will see geese laying down in the field..which I understand they do to conserve energy. As the season progresses I'll mix more shells into the spread to mimic these resting/sleeping geese.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts