North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good article in Outdoor News (a MN outdoors publication that is very popular) about Minnesota potentially retaliating against ND's new laws. One thing I found interesting, the license fees generated by resident pheasant hunters in ND is $20 * 56,000 = $1.1 million. The license fees generated by NRs pheasant hunters $100 * 23,000 = $2.3 million. Now I cannot hunt PLOTS or state land the first 7 days. Boy, let me tell you how good this feels. Last year we booked a place for the tuesday after opener for a week. We are basically screwed without public land. I don't know what to do. We have already arranged work schedules, etc.

By the way, MN legislators are looking at a very similar law for nonresidents to MN for fishing. No opener and limiting to 2-7day periods. I think I predicted this about a year ago. For those of you who stumped for the NR lockout the first 7 days, you can only thank yourself if MN does this.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Dino,
I'm a ND resident and I think it is great if Minnesota goes ahead with this. Protecting the resource for the residents is what the state should do.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The above mentioned article in the Outdoor News that came out yesterday. Our Deputy DNR Commissioner was quoted in there as saying they are trying to work with your people to find a solution, as they really dont want to retaliate. But there was mention from legislators that they will introduce bills to do that very thing. You know what happens when legislators get involved in these deals....

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I have to be completely honest with you Dino. I am a former resident of Minnesota and also have parents who have a lake home and grandparents who have a lake home in Minnesota, all of them are residents of Minnesota. Now I am not trying to be an *** nor am I trying to start a fight with anyone. This is just my opinion on the whole issue.

For me Minnesota can have all of its hunting and fishing to itself for the entire season. I grew up hunting and fishing in Minnesota and it will never ever in a million years come close to the expierience I have had in North Dakota in one season. For Minnesotans to be upset over the fact that North Dakotans wish to enjoy the state to themselves for one week of the season is completely uncalled for. One week of the year for a pheasant season that lasts almost three months is not to much to give up for a few locals to hunt with family members and friends and not feel like they have to run around and compete with everyone. Minnesota in my opinion does not hold any of the cards in this game. I will gladly go to my families lake home enjoy there company and never cast another line into Minnesota waters and be just as happy as I was before.

Instead of trying to pass legislation that will stop people from coming and fishing how about trying to pass legislation that would give more funding to the DNR. Or they could have opener for walleyes for residents only. It would only seem fair to me. If you live in the state and pay taxes then that is a right you have earned.

Living here I have realized that the people of North Dakota genuinly care for the outdoors. This starts from the very bottom all the way to the top. The farmers, the sportsman and the game and fish not only talk a big game when it comes to wildlife and its preservation they also back it up.

Many people have been upset by the fact that North Dakota has tried to limit some of its activities to outsiders. If I were to move away from the ND next week and could no longer hunt as a resident I would still back them up on whatever they decided.

The people of North Dakota realize that they really have something special and it is worth fighting for. North Dakota has something every other state wants but will never have. Can you blame them for wanting to keep that forever and maybe enjoy it for one week a year by themselves?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Goodluck Dino, your state is 3x as comercialized as ND. The resort owners and outfitters will have 3x as much pull as you. Just like they do here. In other words, your dreaming.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, GG, I do have a problem with that. Why? Where does it end? What if a county decided to do that? Pretty soon, there will be no intrastate hunting opportunities. How sad would that be? Or, if not it will be only for the rich. None. If you dont live in a state with a particular type of hunting, you are SOL. That is a sad day for me and a sad day for hunting in general. NRs have paid for most(?) of the PLOTS land for residents. That just isnt right. A question for you, how will the people you know with cabins like what MN is contemplating doing? I feel sorry for them. They have probably worked their butt off all their life to have a cabin at the lake and now this is dropped on them. Just a question, I am not trying to flame you, but are you thinking (speaking?) only of yourself?

Also, I am not looking for an argument, and nowhere have I said I support it, I just reported what I read. As for MN vs ND. In my humble opinion, ND has the upland (other than ruffed grouse), the waterfowl (although MN has some pretty decent canada goose hunting), the muley and antelope hunting. Whitetail hunting is slightly better in MN (many parts of the north are untouched and we have a lot of variety to whitetail habitat), although both states have their good and bad spots. Fishing? I have fished both ND and MN and MN is better. Sak is ok, but certainly not above what Minnesota offers. Mille Lacs, Leece, Vermillion, Red, Lake of the Woods, Rainy, Cass, Winni, Superior just to name a few and we obviously have way more. Those are just my opinions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jimboy,
I am not dreaming. I only reported what I read. Sorry if people are having a hard time understanding that. Let me clarify my position.

I hate the escalating screw the nonresident mentality whether it be MN or ND. It will hurt us all in the long run. ND laws have personally affected me for the worse this year and I do not like that. I think it sucks from a personal level. If I was in your shoes, from a personal level, I would like it, but from deep within, I would not.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Dino, Instead of being upset with the ND regs this year, you should be happy things didn't go as they should have! (SB 2048). The regulations this year are a joke, other than shelling out a few more bucks for a license. But hey, thats why alot of sportsman live in MN, they make a better living and are still within a days drive to the best outdoor opportunities in the country. My in-laws own a cabin on Winnie and it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if there were caps. I've been there 2 times in 7 years. I'd rather stay in my backyard and have 10 times the quality of fishing!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sak is OK but not what MN has to offer,SAY WHAT? :rollin: .You obviously havnt experienced what ND lakes have to offer.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Dino your point is valid and so are those of us that have been active in preserving the quality of hunting in ND. See one huge difference between our state is perception. MN residents feel put upon by the new rules, that ND is shafting them. Turn the table around and most of us would feel that limits or regulations that will enhance the quality of the outdoor experince would be worth the price.

I witnessed a group last fall sitting by a PLOTS area at 5:30 in the morning, thinking they where getting ready to go set decoys I stopped to say hi and find out how hunting was going for them. The first thing out of there mouth was we where here first. My response was no problem just stopped to shoot the breeze with a fellow waterfowler. They then went on to say they where going pheasant hunting. This scene and many more like them are what drove this law. It allows the resident parent to take there children out with less chance of confrontation and disappointent.

Now you may not have seen this on the fourth or fifth day as the pressure had subsided but to see the furor and stupidity that grown men display in an effort to chase a few chinise imports is appauling. Should a young hunter be subjected to this kind of behavior?

I feel for your loss, but this info is not new and has been in the news since passage in March, plus it only applies to land that is leased by the G&F or lands they pay tax on. It does not apply to federal or private land.
You are not been shut out from hunting just being limited to some degree as to where you can hunt.

Heck tell your Reps to make certain lakes resident only the first week of walleye season. Target those area's that are having the same issues as this. I would bet that most members on this site would gladly support your efforts.

I take no offense to the posting and I realize you are sharing something of interest. Do not take offense to those of us that defend this new rule.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mallard,
yes i have fished sak. no it is not as good as MN has to offer. it is a damn good lake however. I am not ripping it. I would rate it over Winni, but c'mon, LOW is in another league. As is Rainy, Superior, and a few more. And it is but one lake. Minn has 6-8 or more in that category.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dino, dont get caught up in it man.
It doesn't do a bit of good.
Even though everything you say is true,
you wont have one person agree with
you and you'll just end up getting more
and more up tite, I never post here anymore,
but DO like to see whats going on every once in awhile,
usually I just get alot of laughs outof it now :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
Dino...you are wrong in your money figuring.All the money collected does not go to PLOTS.Only the habitat stamp money is required to go there.We have to buy that habitat stamp also.The pheasant season is almost 90 days long and you can't hunt it only 7 of those 90.

You are talking about 2-7 day periods out of a Minn. fishing season of 365 days.Here you get 14 days out of a 60 day season.Your season is 6 times longer.SO...then to be comparable you should get a 2 day license here to be the same as 14 out of 360.

·
Registered
842 Posts
25,000 MN nonresident fishing licenses were issued to ND natives. This does not include the children of these anglers. Success or not, ND spend time on vacation/fishing in MN.

I have found the fishing to be great in both states. SaK, DL, and all those hidden perch lakes make ND great. MN has very good fishing if you know when and where. Walleye, Muskie, Bass, trout, and panfish are all easily found and fished in MN.

A cap/time limit would not be a good fight for either state to get into. Still I could see the opener shut-out to NRs or possibly a resiprocity law placed into effect. Turkey hunting, access to public land, etc... would be allowed only to hunters from states that have equivalent regs or access.

Remember though : If a MN hunter can not hunt in ND, then there is a chance that he would hunt that weekend in MN, thus helping the home economy. MN hospitality industry can not be too upset.

Wait no caps in ND this year .... Rambling. Good night.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'll trade you 10,000 fishermen for 10,000 hunters :roll: Both Minn & Wisc. & 10,000 Misc.

& I will never be one of the ones wanting to go to Minn.

Actually this might help ND if 15,000 had to stay here & fish

If Hoven gets re-elected then you can gloat & continue to rape our resources & turn us into another pay to play State :eyeroll:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fetch, your comment "...you can gloat & continue to rape our resources..." is the most idiotic statement I think I have heard on this board. I consider this a personal attack. I am the farthest thing from raping the resource. I am calling you out Fetch, what do you do for the resource? Let's here about all you do. I think all you do is sit and complain. A smart mouth and no dedication to the resource/conservation/habitat. I think it is hunters like you that are causing all the problems in ND. There are some great resident hunters who have great attitudes (some on this board in fact, Dan B, Prairie Hunter, Ron G, amongst others), but then there are those like you that put in no effort and yell and scream if you can't have everything your way.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Dino said:
By the way, MN legislators are looking at a very similar law for nonresidents to MN for fishing. No opener and limiting to 2-7day periods. I think I predicted this about a year ago. For those of you who stumped for the NR lockout the first 7 days, you can only thank yourself if MN does this.
Good for MN. You live there, and should have the right to make changes where you see fit. If I can't fish in MN a couple weekends a year, I'll fish in ND....no big deal. Both states have great lakes, I don't know where a "my state has better fishing than yours" argument will get anywhere, but...

In my opinion, like someone had stated earlier, is that the resorts in MN will fight this until the end, and I don't think it'll go.

1 - 20 of 275 Posts