North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought on a lazy afternoon...

Back in the mid-90's in my first very serious year of duck hunting my dad and I came across a field with some sort of millet (at least that's what we think it was) planted in it. It had about 6-8 little potholes in it at the time that had water (been dry for a few years now) and the mallards were all over this field the whole season even though it was right along a paved county road. I've never seen another field with that crop in it again - is it planted very commonly in ND?

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I used to see it down the sw part of N.D. back in the 90's and the pheasants love it...No, it's certainly not common...Especially now.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Mallards love millet, snows and blues are very fond of it also. Canadas dont get as excited about it but will feed on it. Not a great cash crop as it is mostly used as bird food. It takes too much from the soil for money that it returns. Farmers will use it as a substitute crop if conditions (usually time restraints) wont allow them to get their prefered crop . There used to be a fair amount raised in s central.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I like to plant a 30-40 foot strip of millet on the downwind side of my food plots. If they don't get snowed under it makes a great source of food during the winter.

Don't know about the ducks, but it always seemed to have grouse in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts