North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about what McCain says regarding research on the DNA of bears in Montana? Does any of this research have merit?

Plainsman, you must have an opinion on this, given your experiences as a federal biologist and all.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
agree and he could have been a hero in the bailout fiasco if he would have suggested an alternate plan.....the people vetoed the bill, not the representatives........there would have been political carnage had it passed in it's original form.......this was a clear and resounding "no vote" for Pelosi, Bush and Paulson.....anyone who supported this bill would have given Paulson (an ex Goldman officer) unprecedented powers, beyond that of the President.......Bush is clueless and has no idea what to do!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seabass said:
What do you think about what McCain says regarding research on the DNA of bears in Montana? Does any of this research have merit?

Plainsman, you must have an opinion on this, given your experiences as a federal biologist and all.
Plainsman, any thought on this?

·
Administrator
19,886 Posts
seabass said:
seabass said:

Plainsman, any thought on this?
I just seen this. I don't agree with McCain, but then I know something about this that even the people I worked with are unaware of.

In Idaho a few years ago a Canada Lynx project had to be scrapped because of vandalism. The same thing was happening with the bear study.

When an animal is endangered there are laws that require data from agencies like the U S Fish and Wildlife, EPA, etc. A lot of money gets spent on rare and endangered species. There was a chance the bear could be delisted, but a DNA study was required to estimate populations. Wire was wrapped around trees that bears rubbed on and hair was removed for DNA analysis. It's an inexpensive way to look at home range without radio tracking and many employees.

Well the rumor started that the conservative senator in Montana acquired the funding for the project because he wanted to kill a grizzly. Totally false, but many young people who think the book "THE MONKEY WRENCH GANGE" should be required reading begin vandalizing the project.

I have never told anyone about it, but I had a young fellow working with me at the time. He went to visit a friend and came back very troubled. It was related to me how many young people working for the Park Service and other agencies had been pulling hair from one rub tree and transferring to another. One young drunk fellow related how he had pulled his own pubic hair and placed on a tree.

I called the biologist in charge and asked if there was any statistical analysis they could use to eliminate false date. They said no and asked if I would be willing to meet with federal agents. Two days later federal agents flew in from Arizona and met at my home. Plans were made to apprehend the culprits.

Those young (just out of college and some in college) liberal, biologists, who thought of themselves as environmental activists cost the government many times more than that study should have cost. I hope they are never employed because their data will be worth nothing. You don't grow out of that type of attitude. If your going to be a scientist you leave all personal opinion behind and listen to only one thing, and that's the data. You owe that to science, to the species, and to the American taxpayer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.