North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Mathews S2 in late june. I shoot about 100-150 arrows a week (on average), and I've had to replace the serving at the "pressure point" three times. I've been told to expect to replace the serving in this spot on any single cam, but three times in 3 months? seriously? Any ideas out there how to make the serving last longer? Hope I explained it enough for everyone to understand the spot where the serving is fraying and unraveling.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Buy a winners choice string for it. I had the same problem, until I bought a winners choice string. I shoot about 60 arrows a day 5 days a week, all year long until bow season starts. My string is 3 years old now, and hasnt started sepparating yet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
what do you mean pressure point? the point of where you attach you release. if so you could

#1 put on a D loop to attach your release to.
or
#2 serve with some of the harder more plastic serving.(not fast flight)
or
#3 put a layer of dental floss under your knock down below where you release would be. then replace the floss every so often.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't talking about where i attach my release, i already have a loop. When the cam rotates there is a point (at full draw) where the string rests on a "point" that cause pressure. hard to explain by typing. but that has cause the serving to fray and unravel. does that help?

·
Registered
353 Posts
my mq1 has done this since new. all i could think of is to use some of the old type serving it is like plastic. fishing line kind of. i sont shoot mine enough anymore to need it.

you may try a thicker nylon serving. but dont go too thick or it may roll off the cam.

good luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
also if its fraying really bad you may want to take it to your bow shop and have them see if there is a bur inside the cam causing your problem.sometimes the mill marks from the machine will be rough enough to cause a problem. it may need to be filed/sanded smooth.

·
Registered
50 Posts
they guy above me is right, buy a winners choice string. i used the one i had on my mathews for over 3 years and the guy that bought my bow is still using it today. you might try tradding in that mathews for a bow-tech. i did and its the best move i ever made!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm gonna do you a favor. My dad owns the Mathews shop, Riverside Archery in Washington. Post EXACTLY what your problem is, and I'll ask him the solution to the problem. He knows Mathews like the back of his hand. When I worked there I've seen similar problems, and it's usually a problem with the cam or the idler wheel. Anyway, yeah. Post a detailed description of the problem, and if you can, a picture, and I'll figure out the problem. And if I can't, I'll try to call Mathews and they'll know for sure.

P.S. If you are the original owner, it should be warrantied.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a picture of the fraying. Like I stated in the earlier posts, where it's fraying is where the serving comes to rest at full draw. It rests on the point that is up and to the right of the fraying. I think a spur from the manufacturer might be on the right track. thanks for your help deluxe

·
Registered
81 Posts
spanky27 said:
Here's a picture of the fraying. Like I stated in the earlier posts, where it's fraying is where the serving comes to rest at full draw. It rests on the point that is up and to the right of the fraying. I think a spur from the manufacturer might be on the right track. thanks for your help deluxe

I should be able to get back to you in the morning, it's my day off. I'll write myself a note and get back to you as soon as I can.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ok spanky, heres the situation. Evidently this is something that occurs all the time with almost all Solocam bows. I asked my father and he said that it doesn't need to be replaced and that it won't eat at the bowstring, and it's nothing to worry about. He is a very knowledgeable man, and has been a certified Mathews dealer for over three years. I didn't know about this because I have always shot an alpine Denali, a dual-cam bow. But yeah, just let the serving go, maybe have your local proshop guy just burn the ends of the broken serving and tap them down so they won't keep unraveling.

Peace.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks dude, I'll keep on eye on the bow string just to make sure, but I appreciate the advice. I've been burning the serving off as it unravels. Any thoughts how Mathews could prevent this? I've never heard of it before?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not a clue. It's just the way ALL solocam bows are, I guess. He says you get the same problems with solocams in bowtech, hoyt, alpine, jennings, and all of the other bows that deal in single cam technology. Just make sure when you burn that serving you don't catch a strand on the bowstring. I've been there before.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Buy a winners choice string Ill bet you wont have the problem again.Mine was the same way until I bought one and I havent had a problem yet with it . Its been 3 years now. Get rid of the zebra string.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.