North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have been out getting rid of this white stuff from my sidewalk and driveway for the past 4 hours, and it has been non stop whites, blacks and whatever flying the river way up high and heading south. I sure wish the weather would have cooperated for a few more weeks, but that is ole mother nature. It would have been fun to see how many birds would have piled in?? I wonder how the ditch chickens are holding up? My guess is that they took it hard. If you deer hunters see lots of those ditch chickens frozen dead post up.

Ima870man

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
g/o said:
My guess they are piling into Sand Lake big time
actually the ones that have been on there have been flying like 15 miles to feed, or all the way to aberdeen. going out tomorrow hopefully to get some new migrators. and the snows been here for about 3 weeks so they have been here for a while in SD.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My Dad drove back to MN this am and confirmed alot of migrators heading south. He said there were alot feeding though this am. So, a few may be staying - although the temps may force them out.

He said the mallards were absolutely thick in the field!

·
Registered
218 Posts
there is a crap ton of snows and blues 40 min west of Sioux Falls just east of Mitchell, I was drivin back from huntin roosters with the family and could not believe how many there were, definetly huntable numbers

·
Registered
237 Posts
went down thursday to southern nodak and saw migrators everyday going south into sodak but i hear there are ore birds up north still the roost we were hunting was picking up birds hourly on friday sat didnt see much dropping in 2day hope they can make it till weds when it warms up and opens things up its a 50/50 deal i think going back down 2mrw 2 see and find a feild hpoefuly 4 tuesday lots of birds when we left 2day hunting was tough the birds arent sure if they are going too stay or leave so they wouldnt break up they stayed in big groups and it was tough to even get the juives to break off and look at us but we got birds good luck to everyone and get while the gettn is good they could leave any day :sniper:

·
Registered
295 Posts
saw a BUNCH of S&B today, and alot flying in to a few sections i can hunt, so hopefully if all works out, i can shoot a big mixed bag of waterfowl this week.....first time in a long time i have seen this many snows actaully stop and stick around here for a bit. thank god for that last storm that covered everybody....except SE SD!! :beer:

·
Registered
620 Posts
jmillercustoms said:
there is a crap ton of snows and blues 40 min west of Sioux Falls just east of Mitchell, I was drivin back from huntin roosters with the family and could not believe how many there were, definetly huntable numbers
Heck, might as well post the gps coordinates. In the future, I would recommend saying SE SD rather than posting an exact location. Too many internet scouters out there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
SDwaterfowler said:
Heck, might as well post the gps coordinates. In the future, I would recommend saying SE SD rather than posting an exact location. Too many internet scouters out there.
Send him a PM, or message directly and politely educate him then!

A few migrators yesterday moving through, otherwise it's pretty quiet compared to Saturday.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Heck, might as well post the gps coordinates. In the future, I would recommend saying SE SD rather than posting an exact location. Too many internet scouters out there.[/quote]

yeah if you could send me the exact spot i will be out there tomorrow!! :lol: :lol: :beer: :sniper: :roll:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We had birds coming in all weekend, the roost we hunted off of Sunday finally froze over. The birds were sitting on the ice.

I was told this morning that Sand Lake is froze over, I haven't confirmed it yet though.

Hunting was generally good, although they are very flocked up.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the hunting on Sunday was outstanding to say the least, but seeing that many swans in one day this early was pretty scary. We don't see that many usually for another week or two atleast. TONS of migrators seen Sunday (Ducks of all variety, Canadas, Snows and Swans)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts