North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from Skagit Valley, Washington. Thick woods and very few meadows. I watch a lot of Randy Anderson calling videos, but I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong about making my set. I check the wind and I break my silhouette, and if I can, I try to keep the sun at my back. Is there anything else I can do?

· Registered
2,575 Posts
make sure you have coyotes. This may sounds stupid, but it is probably the biggest mistake. If you don't have them in the area, you're calling for nothing. I'm not saying you don't have coyotes, they just might not be in the location you're at on that particular day.

Find their feeding area and their bedding area and call between them during the morning or evening and you're bound to pick something up.

Randy Anderson may be a good caller but I can assure you that he didn't make a video in one day. Maybe a season of calling and what did he call in and actually shoot? What I mean is how many stands did he make to shoot one coyote? more than one!

Don't get down oh yourself. It usually takes a couple seasons for people to figure out what's going on with these song dogs, and once you start calling them in you'll learn a new lesson every time you're out.

If you can, take someone with you that has been calling for a while and just watch what they do.
Just have fun man!

xdeano

· Registered
66 Posts
ya I know what your talking about with thick stuff. I think it does pose a disadvantage. I think a lot of times they may come in and you never see them b/c they wind you. I think it might be absolutely necessary to hunt with someone else and have them set up downwind to increase your chances. I would say to try to find as open of a wood lot with as good of a view as you can find instead of going right into the thick stuff, say a swamp. Idk if u have swamps but there are some good ones back home. Im hopefully going to get out in Mt here and see how the coyotes actually react when they come in, how fast, ect. to try to get a better understanding how to tweak my hunting strategy when the only spot you have to set up is in the woods, there is a difference, no doubt. The biggest difference is going to be sound, I have some real thick pines by my house and when I'm in them I can't even hear a shot gun go off practically right next to me outside of them. So volume is tricky b/c u need to crank it up to reach further but if you have something to close u may end up calling to loud.

· Registered
87 Posts
its not a skeet shoot....

one thing id say, is to remember what sounds you make at each place... keep a log book of sounds, weather, etc and that way you can switch it up at each place you hunt untill you get one in... then only use the same call technique one or two more times on that place or the yote's will get smart and not come to it.
the other thing, like said above, is you need to have dogs in the neighborhood.... just because joe 6 pack heard em last weekend howling out back doesnt mean they are going to be waiting there for you to shoot em today.

the final thing i'd reccomend a novice, is to sit a longer time than what most people reccomend. Once you start killing dogs, you can start shaving time and modifying your methods by checking your log book, and seeing what you can delete from your agenda.
a lot of coyotes will still come into calls they arent convinced of, they come in slower, and more wary.... so staying 60 min, instead of 40 can be the difference.... especially if theres heavy timber nearby... they may be holding in that untill they feel comfortable.....
i also reccomend stopping your calling at some point and waiting a full half hour after in complete silence.... often times the dogs will come out to smell around and find out what was making all of the racket..... thats when you can flick off the safety and make em yelp..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.