North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody make calls on here? If so, could you give me some tips or advice to get started. I think it'd be a fun thing to do, and maybe end up getting some money out of it down the road. So if you make some yourself and dont mind trying to help out a rookie, please give me some tips on getting started.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
530 Posts
your gonna have to get access to a lathe or buy one not a wood lathe unless your planning on making woodcalls but id prolly go with a lathe that can machine metal cause then you can do whatver you like on it

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have yet to make a goose call but I make my own duck and coyote calls as well as my buck grunt.

Wood lathes are made to dig into the ends of the wood turning stock and use pressure to hold the stock on while you turn it. Metal lathes (yes use one of these for turning acrylic) clamp onto the end(s) of the stock. Since acrylic is so tough you won't be able to use a wood lathe to turn it. Generally metal lathes will have the ability to go faster than wood lathes. You could even use wooden dowels as stock to make wooden calls. You'll also need a bandsaw and a drill press to shape the insides of your calls. Any questions, just shoot me a pm and I'll try to help as much as I can. Good luck! It's a hard thing to get just right, but once you get it, it's a lot of fun and an easy way of paying for gas money for hunts.

·
Registered
149 Posts
duck slayer02 said:
Yes I'm intrested in making goose calls.

What's the difference in turning wood vs. acrylic? the speed? Could you turn acrylic on a wood lathe? or do you need a higher/lower speed lathe?

David
You can turn acrylic on a wood lathe, I would suggest drilling out your bore first and then using a mandrel to hold your stock on the lathe. I wouldn't suggest using wood turning tools however on acrylic, get some carbine cutting tools used for metal, they cut cleaner and will not dull quickly like wood tools will. If you can't afford a metal lathe it will work, you'll need a drill press and some sort of vise to hold your stock while drilling, check out Hut Products or Webfoot Calls for tools, materials, etc to get started. Have fun and don't get wrapped up in the politics of call making, trust me its there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.