North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a robotic fawn in distress decoy for bringing in Mt. Lions(Nobody makes one...). I could buy a taxidermy quality fawn specimen, and jimmy rig a form at home, and make a decent-enough decoy. But i'd like to get some motion, maybe one or two of the legs to kick up as the decoy lays on its back... idk. Just a thought right now. I'm trying hard to kill this lion on my friends property as a favor, and hound-hunting is illegal in Washington. Anyway, anyone know how to make the legs move? Preferably not a Mcgyver solution involving fishingline?

·
Registered
136 Posts
you could rig an electic motor with a disc on it to the decoy. if you mount the leg off center of the disk it will kick back and forth. it would work just like an old train. i would get a lower rpm motor or you fawn might look alittle goofy. :lol:

·
Registered
186 Posts
rpm doesnt matter so much... slower rpm motor use a smaller diameter disk, higher rpm motor use a larger diameter disk... get one try it if you think its too fast/ too slow pull the disk out and replace it with a larger/smaller one... granted a 9000 rpm motor isnt a good choice, as with a 9 rpm motor..

·
Registered
136 Posts
ay tee said:
rpm doesnt matter so much... slower rpm motor use a smaller diameter disk, higher rpm motor use a larger diameter disk... get one try it if you think its too fast/ too slow pull the disk out and replace it with a larger/smaller one... granted a 9000 rpm motor isnt a good choice, as with a 9 rpm motor..
I also thought of using a differnt sized disc, would that affect the speed of the legs, or would it just affect the distance the legs move?

But another solution to rpm problems would be gears or pullys, that way you could get the exact speed you want.

·
Registered
186 Posts
or maybe a variable resistor between the power source and the motor... then you can control the speed of the motor by the amount of power it receives...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've made a few motion decoys and here are some web sites for remotes that will work up to 1000' and a site for high torque geared motors that will handle the leg movement.

Motors
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... tegory=522

Remotes
http://www.netairbuy.com/switch/switch-dc.htm

Email Gao at Net Air Buy and he will send you the remotes. I've bought four of them so far. Cheap and they work well. You can get 1 to 6 channel units. I've used them for motion and electronic calls.

Battery power comes from Interstate. The have small 12v 1.4 amp sealed lead acid batteries that handle the motors and the relays.
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts