North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the wheels keep spinning off...

another ouch. :eek:

This has got to be the biggest blow yet. It's already not shaping up as a good weekend for McCain.

Charles Fried, one of John McCain's advisers, has already voted for Obama.

He stated the Palin choice was the biggest factor in his defection.

Folks, this man is a major conservative thinker and he used to be a rabid McCain supporter.

He was a key insider to McCain, and he just switched sides? Heck he is listed as a major ally of McCains on some of the literature.

This is shocking news. Wow!

McCain Adviser Endorses Obama

The Wall Street Journal today rounds up the horde of prominent Republicans jumping ship to Barack Obama.

Now one of John McCain's actual advisers has switched sides:

Charles Fried, a professor at Harvard Law School, has long been one of the most important conservative thinkers in the United States. Under President Reagan, he served, with great distinction, as Solicitor General of the United States. Since then, he has been prominently associated with several Republican leaders and candidates, most recently John McCain, for whom he expressed his enthusiastic support in January.

This week, Fried announced that he has voted for Obama-Biden by absentee ballot. In his letter to Trevor Potter, the General Counsel to the McCain-Palin campaign, he asked that his name be removed from the several campaign-related committees on which he serves. In that letter, he said that chief among the reasons for his decision "is the choice of Sarah Palin at a time of deep national crisis."

TPM has the press releases here touting Fried's presence on the McCain campaign

·
Registered
163 Posts
Had to see this for myself...

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - Former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld, a Republican, endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president on Friday, citing the senator's good judgment, "deep sense of calm" and "first-class political temperament."

Weld said he's never endorsed a Democrat for president before, but in the last six weeks or so, it became "close to a no-brainer." Obama has a history of bringing Democrats, Republicans and independents together and is the best choice at a time when America's standing in the world is at a low point, he said.

"It's not often you get a guy with his combination of qualities, chief among which I would say is the deep sense of calm he displays, and I think that's a product of his equally deep intelligence," he said in a phone interview.

He insisted his endorsement was based on an assessment of Obama's strengths, not Republican John McCain's weaknesses.

"John McCain is a very good guy," he said. "I do think the Republican Party has been playing on an increasingly small field in the last couple of elections."

Weld joined other prominent Republicans endorsing Obama over McCain in the campaign's final weeks, including former Secretary of State Colin Powell, former Minnesota Gov. Arne Carlson and Scott McClellan, former press secretary to President Bush.

Charles Fried, solicitor general under President Reagan who has helped with McCain's campaign, also recently said he voted for Obama, according to The New Republic.

Fried served on several of McCain's campaign-related committees. He has written to the campaign to request his name be removed from the committees, the magazine reported. He said in the letter one reason for his decision was McCain's choice for vice president, Sarah Palin.

McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said the campaign does not comment on private correspondence.

"I admire Senator McCain and was glad to help in his campaign, and to be listed as doing so," Fried told the magazine, "but when I concluded that I must vote for Obama for the reason stated in my letter, I felt it wrong to appear to be recommending to others a vote that I was not prepared to cast myself."

Weld announced his support at a news conference at Obama's campaign office in Salem. Last year, he came to New Hampshire to campaign for another former Massachusetts governor, Republican Mitt Romney, who ended his bid for the presidential nomination in February.

Weld was governor of Massachusetts from 1991 to 1997. Before that, he was U.S. attorney for Massachusetts under President Reagan and later led the criminal division of the U.S. Justice Department.

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
Obama has a history of bringing Democrats, Republicans and independents together
:rollin: That must be why we all agree and don't argue. :rollin:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ryan, thank you for keeping us updated. This is a great news. Everyone should do so. Choosing Palin as a running mate adds to image of McCain as a man with a poor judgement. This is a amjor blunder, which he cannot correct any more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts