North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a Lucky Duck and I want to know which works better, a drake or a hen??? Let me know what you think.

Thanks Steve :beer:

Locked wings and good shots!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have always heard a hen is the way to go... Might have something to do with the bright green head. Especially early in the season when very few mallards are in full plumage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
BigDuck,

We all want to kill the drakes - so when I bought my 'Super Duck' I tried to think like a male duck. :D :D If I were a male duck, I'd rather land with a bunch of hens than males - hence, I bought the hen. Luckily, I have the best of both worlds as my hunting partner has a drake 'Super Duck'.

Just my 2 cents...

GeorgiaDuck

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same dilemma you had last year. Several guys also told me to go with the Hen for the same reasons...Think like a drake...I wonder though if ducks are horn dogs like us...To me it seems like drakes like to hang with drakes and vice versa except during spring when they are getting it on! It does make sense in the early season to go with the hen, since there is very little green on most of the drakes...Just my 2 cents! Good luck! Rick A.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steve,

Honestly, I do not think it matters too much. Last year I used my Mojo with only one wing and I really couldn't tell a difference. A buddy of mine has one that is pretty much missing his head after taking a hit from about 15 yrds. So it seems to me it's all in the flash of the wings, so get which one you like better.

Craig Andrews

·
Registered
344 Posts
I always heard to get the brightest and most noticeable birds for motion dekes. Went with a drake here, but my buddy has a hen as well so we stomp the living heck out of em.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts