North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

Looking for 22.250 Ammo

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  tumblebuck 
#1 ·
I was thinking of purchasing some ammo in bulk but have heard the bulk ammo (cabelas magazine) may not be the best choice for ammo quality.. Anyone have any ideas as to where I should purchase bulk 22.250 loads?? I am mainly shooting prairie dogs and predators. Do you think I am fine with the bulk ammo, Or am I pretty much stuck with buying the $13 box for 20 rounds......any help is appreciated..

#2 ·
Madison, I have shot various bulk rounds through my 22-250. They seem to be OK....the biggest difference I can see with them is quality control. I have had more "duds" with bulk ammo.

I would'nt use them for target shooting but for closer range dogs 100 - 300....let it rip!!! They are considerably more affordable depending on what you shot before.

Main thing to do (just like any other round) is chrono the round and make up a chart.....then go from there. Good luck and splat some dogs for me. I'm heading out that way soon to do the same.

#3 ·
I checked the prices on the bulk ammo and if you do the math, you really aren't saving any money. It costs $0.65 a round for the $12.99 box or $0.58 a round for the bulk ammo (260 round box). Plus you have to pay shipping, so it's pretty much even if not more expensive.

Oh yeah, that 40 round box I had....$16.99 (the tag is still on the box, just had to look). It's a long drive to Ahlman's though.

Looks like Marv's better stock up on 22-250 ammo.

#6 ·
Jiffy,

You are correct. The price goes down a bit if you buy the larger bulk (my reference was the 260 round box), however, I don't have $600 to spend at one time on ammo. Would be nice though!

The 40 round box I was refering to is Winchester 45 grain jacketed hollow points. I bought a box at a gun shop south of Minneapolis when I bought my rifle and now wish I would've bought more. For what I paid, it works out to only about 42 cents a round. I believe I saw the same box at Gander, but it was $2 bucks more a box. Still cheaper than the Cabela's bulk ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.