North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Who makes the lightest big production rifle in .270 to .30-06?

I'm looking at buying a new rifle next year for deer hunting and I want something light. I don't mind spending a decent amount of money, however I'm not looking at anything over $1,200.

If someone makes a custom rifle that fits that price range, that's ok too.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I would guess the Tikka T3 Lite to be the lightest full sized production rifle available, at around 6lbs for all calibers (w/o scope).

I have one in 243 and it is noticably lighter than any of my Remington 700s, by far the lightest rifle I own. Also wonderfully accurate with a nice crisp 3lbs trigger out of the box...

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
Kifaru, make most calibers at 5 lb even. They specialize in light outdoor equipment. I think they would be considered a production type company and not custom.
In the companies we think of I think the Remington Titanium may be the lightest. In a smaller company there are the Carbon Magnums. I can't remember off hand the company name. Maybe I will remember in a day or so of someone else doesn't come up with it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plainsman said:
Kifaru, make most calibers at 5 lb even. They specialize in light outdoor equipment. I think they would be considered a production type company and not custom.
In the companies we think of I think the Remington Titanium may be the lightest. In a smaller company there are the Carbon Magnums. I can't remember off hand the company name. Maybe I will remember in a day or so of someone else doesn't come up with it.
Yeah, the Kifaru's like $3,500. lol. Nice gun though. They stopped making them I heard, while they are doing R&D for their 2nd gun.

The Remington is also like $2,000 i think.

I'll have to check out the Tikka's.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The T3 Lite is 6-6.5 lbs with a 22" barrel in standard short & Long action calibers. I believe they are around $600 in stainless steel with a synthetic stock. I got a deal on mine and paid $480 new...

The walnut stocked version is a touch heavier, as are the magnum calibers with 24" barrel.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NDTerminator said:
The T3 Lite is 6-6.5 lbs with a 22" barrel in standard short & Long action calibers. I believe they are around $600 in stainless steel with a synthetic stock. I got a deal on mine and paid $480 new...

The walnut stocked version is a touch heavier, as are the magnum calibers with 24" barrel.
Thanks.

I'd be getting the stainless w/ synthetic stock.

Wonder what would be a caliber to shoot bigger game like elk, .270WSM or .30-06, either way, with the quality of today's bullets, I'm sure either would do well. Which one is affected more by long range?

Someone also pointed out Kimber, which I thought about earlier, but I thought they were a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
If you are looking at the Tikka you better throw it up to your shoulder a few times. I have shot one in .30-06, and one in 22-250. They did not fit me at all. They are very nice rifles, but how they fit you will be more important than price or weight or looks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Take a look at the Kimber rifles. 84M is in the 308 class rounds and the 8400s are in the WSM and standard lenth (270/06) length rounds. The 84M in the Montana grade, kevlar/carbon fiber with stainless, is a shade over 5 pounds. May be a hundred or so above your limit but in classic it would still be within. Best part is you are getting as close to a custom grade gun in a production rifle.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i would go with a kimber they are one of the lightest rifles i have ever picked up. not to mention they are very well made and accurized from the factory. i have seen them in gun shops for as little as $900 but if you go to a big name store they are usually quite a bit more spendy. my buddy has one in 308 and the only downside is it kicks like a raped mule on pcp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.