1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well I have compered the Leica's too the whole nikon,Bushnell, Swaro,Cabelas,Leupold, linup. I do it daily actually. but I'm just curious what you might like about it compared too others. IMO I'd choose the Nikon 1200 monarch, or the bushnell elite's. To me they have more features and are a lot cheaper. They don't have the red reticle like the leica's, which i thought was nice, but They do the same thing and are both quality optics. But anyways just curious why you might lean towards the Leica's?

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am leaning towards it because I am kinda picky on my glass! I would rather spend $600 now and have something that will last forever then buy two $300 ones! Two of the guys I hunt with use the Nikons, they are great for the money, but at times have trouble ranging things.

Have you used them outside on game? Or just in a store?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well the nikons at in the field and I've ranged various objects with the bushnells and the other brands. It all depends though. I mean you could get a perfectly great rangfinder that ranges reflective targets at 1000 yards, 600 nonreflective, and then 300 on deer or similar animal targets, and it will also have the true distance range built into it. Have you looked at the rangefinders that have the ARC and the TDR in them for shooting at angles or aren't you planning on using it in that way?....but I see where you are coming from as how you like your quality glass. Leaic'a are definetely nice thats for sure but for some reason I just lean towards the Swarovski over them. In rangefinders,binos' and scopes but thats just me, it all depends on the person. I may notice something in the quality of glass and you might not or vice versa, its just what suits you best or in other words personal preference.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I love my Sworo Bino's but I really like the Fit in one hand of the Leica finder.

Have you taken the Leica out and ranged animals?

·
Registered
436 Posts
No Not yet actually...what I really want to do is take the Swaro and the Leica and compare....I think that will make for a good project tomorrow. I mean at some point to me a rangefinder is basically "you get what you pay for" type of deal but I'm going to look into it more.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've had a Leica 900 for a few months and like it so far. Longest I've ranged is about 950 yards. It works way better than my old Simmons 800. (duh!) I can range the back side of a non-reflective building at around 600 yards with the Leica that the Simmons should range but doesn't. It doesn't have any fancy stuff but has very good glass and works well. The red square seems to be in the right place too. Sorry I haven't used any of the others so can't compare.

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
I have owned four Bushnell, and now have the Leica. My son has the Swarovski. I have had the Leica for six years now, and my son has had the Swarovski for three. My brother has the newer Bushnells and another son of mine has the Leupold.
I like the Leica and the Swarovski. I can range hillsides and trees etc to 1216 yards. That's it's limit light or dark out it stops right at 1216. I have been with my son when he commonly ranges 1800 and 1900 rounds and may be able to go further.
If money was no object I would take the Swarovski even though they use an odd battery. The optics are outstanding. The Leica optics are good also and made all my old Bushnell's look like trash.
Super bright days on snow I can only reach about 750 yards, but under the same conditions the Bushnell were reaching 350 yards. The Swarovski always beat the Leica until there is fog. I was able to range about 100 yards further in fog than the Swarovski. Fog restricts all of the rangefinders and that's when the mil-dot scope is important.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plainsman said:
I have owned four Bushnell, and now have the Leica. My son has the Swarovski. I have had the Leica for six years now, and my son has had the Swarovski for three. My brother has the newer Bushnells and another son of mine has the Leupold.
I like the Leica and the Swarovski. I can range hillsides and trees etc to 1216 yards. That's it's limit light or dark out it stops right at 1216. I have been with my son when he commonly ranges 1800 and 1900 rounds and may be able to go further.
If money was no object I would take the Swarovski even though they use an odd battery. The optics are outstanding. The Leica optics are good also and made all my old Bushnell's look like trash.
Super bright days on snow I can only reach about 750 yards, but under the same conditions the Bushnell were reaching 350 yards. The Swarovski always beat the Leica until there is fog. I was able to range about 100 yards further in fog than the Swarovski. Fog restricts all of the rangefinders and that's when the mil-dot scope is important.
This is what I wanted to hear. I am not going to be making shots over 300-400 yards anyways! I want something that works Awsome up to that range! I like the Swarovski but I like the fact that I can use the Leica one handed. It works great bowhunting!

I think I am going to go with the Leica 900. Once again no real need over that range. Or even half of that! :beer:

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I also have a Leica thanks to hanging around with Plainsman. Had 2 different Bushnells, neither came close to the Leica. Have also tried the Nikon, and a Swaro at sniper training. Plainsman is right the Swaro would be my first chioce if money was no object. But the Leica beats the rest hands down.

Mine is the older LRF 1200 scan and looks like this:

Don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the Leica models.

huntin1

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used my Father In Law's Leica a while back and it was pure sweetness. If you are buying for the long term and have the extra jack$$$ go for it. You wont be disappointed. Good Luck, Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
When Leica discontinued the 800 a number of years ago, Scheels got a bunch of 'em and sold 'em @ a discount ... that's when I got mine, and I've never wanted to "upgrade" ... It does the job, and I'd sooner spend my money on guns and ammo, than merely for more expensive versions of what I've already got ...

Under the right conditions, I've ranged over 1000 yards with the 800, and I like the fact that I don't need to get "special" batteries ... the 9-volt is available most everyplace, and with a coin or multi-tool, it's easy to replace ... which I've only had to do once in all the years I've had it ...

Too long a story to tell here, but imho, the Leica glass (at least in the old ones) is better than anyone else's ... merely sayin' ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.